Could God Emperor and the later books be made into films?

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

dank

Could God Emperor and the later books be made into films?

Post by dank »

Hi, everyone. This is my first post. I dug through the boards to see if this topic had been addressed but I couldn't find anything, so I'm sorry if this has been done.

At this point it seems fairly inevitable that there will be another movie version of Dune made (although they are clearly having trouble getting it started, much like the 1984 film). So, say it turns out well and they want to make a franchise out of it since there is plenty of room for that. How far would they get? It seems fairly obvious that they would do the first three books, all of which are awesome and have the potential to be great films. The problem is, the third book ends (IMO) with a somewhat incomplete conclusion. I feel like if they got to CoD, they would have to at least make GEoD to complete the story. Obviously this would be a really hard sell to audiences who hadn't read the books, but I feel like it could be an amazing movie (I imagine their treatment of Leto would have to end up being similar to how Gollum was done). I feel like once they cut down on some of the philosophical ramblings, which I do love, they could get a really tight and quite a powerful 2-2.5 hour movie out of it.

I also feel like HoD in particular would also make a great movie, and would be rather refreshing since it has a more involved plot and some great action, so that might provide some incentive for a studio to push through and make GEoD. Anyways, this is obviously all speculative but I really feel that if done right, they could make some great films out of the last three books (although the ending of CH:D would cause some problems). Any opinions?
D Pope

Re: Could God Emperor and the later books be made into films?

Post by D Pope »

dank wrote: if done right, they could make some great films
That's the trick, isn't it.
Leto II is gone for good, except for OM. The "pearl" was just that; a miniscule portion of what Leto was, and not a compressed version of the whole. The pearl that the worms have do not make them Leto, or in any way similar to him.
-Omphalos
Serkanner
Administrator

Post by Serkanner »

dank wrote:
At this point it seems fairly inevitable that there will be another movie version of Dune
With the current dumbfucks at the helm of the HLP, NOTHING is inevitable.
"... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

“There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
and wrote a Dune Novel."
ahnnah

Post by ahnnah »

dank wrote:At this point it seems fairly inevitable that there will be another movie version of Dune made

I would agree. It seems the numbnuts in Hollywood are having a hard time these days coming up with any sort of original material. What better way to make a buck than to pirate someone else's art? On that note I have to say that I much prefer the special effects from back in the day. You know, back when people actually made things physically :crazy: crazy huh? Somehow I see a newer version of Dune chapping my ass the way the digitally "enhanced" release of Star Wars and the subsequent vomitous bags of waste that were produced afterwards did. I want it to be real (even if it's hokey) not computer generated. Anyone can learn to write a program; that's a skill. Those old special effects guys from the 80's--that shit was talent yo.
ahnnah

Post by ahnnah »

ahnnah wrote:Anyone can learn to write a program; that's a skill.

I meant anyone except metacrudhell, of course :lol:
dank

Post by dank »

ahnnah wrote:
dank wrote:At this point it seems fairly inevitable that there will be another movie version of Dune made

I would agree. It seems the numbnuts in Hollywood are having a hard time these days coming up with any sort of original material. What better way to make a buck than to pirate someone else's art? On that note I have to say that I much prefer the special effects from back in the day. You know, back when people actually made things physically :crazy: crazy huh? Somehow I see a newer version of Dune chapping my ass the way the digitally "enhanced" release of Star Wars and the subsequent vomitous bags of waste that were produced afterwards did. I want it to be real (even if it's hokey) not computer generated. Anyone can learn to write a program; that's a skill. Those old special effects guys from the 80's--that shit was talent yo.
If they used practical effects when they could (thopters, heighliners, navigators/tanks etc.) and CGI when they had to (Leto in GeoD, sandworms, laza tigers, D-wolves etc.) I'd be pretty happy with that. I just wouldn't want them to shove the effects in our collective faces.
ahnnah

Post by ahnnah »

dank wrote:
If they used practical effects when they could (thopters, heighliners, navigators/tanks etc.) and CGI when they had to (Leto in GeoD, sandworms, laza tigers, D-wolves etc.) I'd be pretty happy with that. I just wouldn't want them to shove the effects in our collective faces.

I would be much more impressed if they were able to construct a physical Leto II. That would be one massive muppet.
SadisticCynic

Post by SadisticCynic »

ahnnah wrote:

Changing the old Anakin to the new one at the end of ROTJ really grinds my gears, so to speak. :evil:
Ah English, the language where pretty much any word can have any meaning! - A Thing of Eternity
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

ahnnah wrote:
dank wrote:

I would be much more impressed if they were able to construct a physical Leto II. That would be one massive muppet.
They made it work for Jabba.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
ahnnah

Post by ahnnah »

Freakzilla wrote:
ahnnah wrote:
dank wrote:

Meaning the CG Jabba or the old Jim Henson style Jabba? Again, I prefer the latter. I thought the old Jabba was utterly disgusting. Hokey, yes but real, dripping slobber and slimy tongue. Ugh that tongue :puke: The CG just looks so... well, fake. Like it's in another dimension and they're being layered on top of each other, which kinda they are I suppose.
dank

Post by dank »

ahnnah wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:
ahnnah wrote:
dank wrote:

Meaning the CG Jabba or the old Jim Henson style Jabba? Again, I prefer the latter. I thought the old Jabba was utterly disgusting. Hokey, yes but real, dripping slobber and slimy tongue. Ugh that tongue :puke: The CG just looks so... well, fake. Like it's in another dimension and they're being layered on top of each other, which kinda they are I suppose.
I feel like they could make a sweet puppet, but for some parts of the movie some sort of computer manipulation would have to be used; like the whole desert test sequence, or when Leto rushes in during the attack on Onn. SPOILER: Leto's death scene would be spectacular and grotesque with a really awesome puppet.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Meaning the palace Jabba, not the CGI Mos Isley one.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

Serkanner wrote:
dank wrote: At this point it seems fairly inevitable that there will be another movie version of Dune
With the current dumbfucks at the helm of the HLP, NOTHING is inevitable.
Agreed. I'd be surprised if this piece of shit comes out at any time in the next 5 years, if ever.
"If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

Happy Memorial Day everyone! -James C. Harwood

"Three of my videos have over 100 views."
"Over 500 views for my 'Open Question' video." -Nebiros
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

I'd rather it didn't if they're going to have input.
~Pink Snowman
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

Freakzilla wrote:I'd rather it didn't if they're going to have input.
The irony is that that harder they try the more likely it is not to even get made.
"If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

Happy Memorial Day everyone! -James C. Harwood

"Three of my videos have over 100 views."
"Over 500 views for my 'Open Question' video." -Nebiros
Dravition

Post by Dravition »

(Regarding the OP)
I think the essence of the original series could be boiled down to a trilogy. 1) Dune / Dune Messiah; 2) Children of Dune / God Emperor of Dune; and 3) Heretics of Dune / Chapterhouse: Dune. This is actually how I pair the books for reading purposes.

The temporal distance between CoD and GEoD could be a bit awkward to translate on screen, but it's not impossible. To be done well, I think Hollywood will have to be creative and break from the chronological ordering of the books (CoD/GEoD).
One way would be to start the movie from the perspective of the God Emperor, and return to the story of his childhood through something like flashbacks. Another way would be to start the movie with a brief glimpse of Leto as the GE, as well as the the GEoD plot, then transition to the CoD story, and then conclude with the latter half of GEoD.

Again, it's not an impossible feat. Jackson made LotR work, even despite the amount of content he left out or changed.
Leto smiled. "Duncan, have I not told you that when you think you know something, that is a most perfect barrier against learning?"
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

Freakzilla wrote:I'd rather it didn't if they're going to have input.
I'd rather it didn't if they're going to get any money from it ...
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Marhaba, dank. :)
ahnnah wrote:Ugh that tongue
Ah, yes, that tongue. Reminds me...

Yoohooooo, MetaCrud0000! My sphincter is still tweeeeetching.... :D
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

SandChigger wrote:Marhaba, dank. :)

I do believe it's disappeared back into deepest, darkest Whales again.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
Robspierre

Post by Robspierre »

Those poor whales.....

Rob
ahnnah

Post by ahnnah »

SandChigger wrote:Marhaba, dank. :)

:laughing-rollingyellow:
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Robspierre wrote:Those poor whales.....

Rob
Ware are they?

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

really ?
is it the consensus that Metamucil360 was the dred-locked new-age twit ?

maybe I just really wanted it to be Onasander (in a French Maid's Oufit & heels)
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
Robspierre

Post by Robspierre »

SandRider wrote:really ?
is it the consensus that Metamucil360 was the dred-locked new-age twit ?

maybe I just really wanted it to be Onasander (in a French Maid's Oufit & heels)
Stop ruining my fantasies.

Rob
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

I like to picture Metacudgel as a cheerleader on acid at a car wash.
~Pink Snowman