I've a question!! Tee-hee...

Post by Irulan Corrino »

Ok, please don't think that I'm:
-stupid
-lazy
-ignorant
-all of the above

but...

I am curious as to WHY this board got started? Btw, I love the name, I love the board - I love everything - etc., I'm just wondering what caused the Jacurutu to take root on the WWW, since Arrakeen was already flourishing so abundantly?

PS
Ghola is down and that really sucks because none of us over there know how to fix it...so it's always great to see another Dune board take off, after one (especially one that has sentimental value to so many) has folded. :D
orald

Re: I've a question!! Tee-hee...

Post by orald »

Irulan Corrino wrote:I'm just wondering what caused the Jacurutu to take root on the WWW, since Arrakeen was already flourishing so abundantly?
:lol:

I'll wait for Chig or Omph to explain that. This entails fun. :D
In memory of Perach, who suffered and died needlessly.

I wish I could have been with you that one last time.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

:?

How about we settle for a bit clueless?

First, could you tone down the sig image? Sorry, but 141 KB for what is essentially a vanity plate is just rude. The whole world isn't on broadband yet.

As for your question, obviously you haven't been paying attention: Arrakeen has been offline pretty much since the beginning of this year. And it was never "flourishing" at any point that I was a member. It was...like a House Major during Leto's reign, its glory days behind it, just barely hanging on, its head absent and presided over by a mad old dowager. (Which of mad or old should be more emphasized is a toughy.)

The Sietch was gone (it was also dying before it disappeared), FED2K is mainly for gamers, House Atreides failed to grab much attention, and your forum...sorry, forums, fritzed as well. That left a return to the DuneNovels BBS and posting under the Gestapo of Mediocrity (not an option for all of us, anyway) or creating a new site...or sites, which is what Omph and Freak did with The (Almost) Undeleted and Jacurutu.

As for your own site being down, I currently get this error:

Code: Select all

Notice: Undefined variable: sourcedir in /var/alternc/html/s/spada/dod/index.php on line 49

Warning: require_once() [function.require-once]: Unable to access /QueryString.php in /var/alternc/html/s/spada/dod/index.php on line 49

Warning: require_once(/QueryString.php) [function.require-once]: failed to open stream: Permission denied in /var/alternc/html/s/spada/dod/index.php on line 49

Fatal error: require_once() [function.require]: Failed opening required '/QueryString.php' (include_path='.:/usr/share/php:/usr/share/pear') in /var/alternc/html/s/spada/dod/index.php on line 49

It looks to me like you have some files missing. Whoever has FTP access to the server (who is your webmaster?) needs to re-upload all the boardware files. Before doing that, though, they should use the database utility (most providers give you phpMyAdmin these days) to check and make sure that the database is OK.

I'm sure you're a nice enough person and all, but I don't understand what you people are doing running forums if none of you know what you're doing or don't have someone you can turn to for help when things go wrong. It's really fairly irresponsible to start something and build expectations and then not follow through.
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
orald

Post by orald »

SandChigger wrote:. And it was never "flourishing" at any point that I was a member.
Well, it was when I was a member. *hint hint*

And Ghola's always had the problem of not actually having most of DoD's old threads, being in fact an empty shell.
Well, that and free trollin'.

Though now to think of it this here thread does make one understand certain reactions to said trolling by certain people.

Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

Arrakeen was dead until people started getting banned from Dunenovels. Those people refugeed to Arrakeen where Hypatia decided to start stifling them there too. Everyone there left so I started this forum where we could discuss Dune and whatever else we wanted (mainly Dune) free from oppression.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
chanilover

Re: I've a question!! Tee-hee...

Post by chanilover »

Irulan Corrino wrote:Ok, please don't think that I'm:
-stupid
-lazy
-ignorant
-all of the above

but...

I am curious as to WHY this board got started? Btw, I love the name, I love the board - I love everything - etc., I'm just wondering what caused the Jacurutu to take root on the WWW, since Arrakeen was already flourishing so abundantly?

PS
Ghola is down and that really sucks because none of us over there know how to fix it...so it's always great to see another Dune board take off, after one (especially one that has sentimental value to so many) has folded. :D
Hi Irulan. The only things Arrakeen was flourishing abundantly with were the demented rantings of Hypatia, who has now taken to waddling around the internet spewing lies about the people here.

Anyway, glad you like it here, despite that big meanie Sandchigger. :lol:
"You and your buddies and that b*tch Mandy are nothing but a gang of lying, socially maladjusted losers." - St Hypatia of Arrakeen.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

:roll:

Until given proof positive to the contrary, I'm going to assume that you haven't been scared off (as SOME people are suggesting) since you don't seem to log on all that often anyway.

(Oh, Hypathetic has said on another board that she will be writing you to give you the low down on me. It would be great fun if you could repost it here! ;) )
Irulan Corrino

Post by Irulan Corrino »

No, I've not been 'scared off'. Offline life takes up most of my time, no offense. :wink:

When I join a forum, it's because I want to feel a part of a community, be a silent supporter - if you will. I do talk from time to time - mostly when I feel I have something to contribute. I don't usually talk, just for the sake of killing time.

To start off, I had no idea what was going about in Arrakeen (and now, I apparently do - thanks for clarifying).

Second, I do not own/run the Ghola Forum. That is a creation of a person named Dario. I should add, that as it was never 'my' forum, I didn't feel it was my place to fix it. Unless it's common practice to just roam around and fix other people's online problems - which I hope not. I wouldn't want some stranger lurking around in my stuff. Oh, and yes - I was an Admin there - but I was a community admin - meaning, I weeded out membership requests and kept eye on posts. Occasionally, I would update the forum version and/or slap on a new skin/template. That was the extent of my involvement there. I simply don't have the time for anything else.

I will try to pass your suggestion onto Dario - and perhaps he can fix the current 'mess'. Although he is fairly hard to get a hold of - last time I tried, it took nearly a month. *chuckles* Anyways, I'm not sure if there is even a point to reviving the 'old beast'. So few people (mostly 10 or so regulars) only ever bothered posting there for the longest time now. :)

Finally - to address your last comment - LOL. I spent over a year and a half trying to get people to help me on my forum (DoD II) before it was hacked. I got exactly 2 people, and quite frankly - neither of them knew enough or felt strong enough to handle admin-related tasks. I tried running everything for as long as I could, but when the hackers stepped in - well, that was the last straw. This has nothing to do with being irresponsible, and everything to do with knowing when to quit. I spent a great deal of money and time on the site, both factors which are easily dismissed or entirely unmentioned. Everyone is always first to criticize and point out shortcomings. Well, quite frankly...

SandChigger, with all due respect - your opinion (such as it was stated) in this matter is of supreme indifference, to me. *smiles* I know what I did, and how much effort I put into it - and only I know what it cost me when everything fell apart and I had no one to turn to. You surely weren't there to lend a helping hand, so kindly lay off me. I've learned a lot since DoD II fell apart and since then, I have ran an RPG forum which has remained online (and unhacked), for over a year. That's good enough for me - at least it has proven to possess a longer lifespan than poor DoD II. But this time, I'm not using my own money to support this venture. Enough is enough. Plainly speaking, investing in a community like that, where all I had to rely on, was myself and my own energy/resources, was too much to handle. Frankly, I expected a bit more excitement from Dune fans when DoD II was revived. When the support did not materialize as I hoped, I kept things going (until the hacking took place) as best as I could. If that isn't good enough, tough bananas. :P

But don't take it personally. I'm not blaming anyone for inactivity or lack of interest/support. In my mind, things simply didn't work out - and life goes on.

That's why I'm here.

P.S.
Your request regarding my sig has been approved. :P 8)
orald

Post by orald »

Irulan Corrino wrote:Oh, and yes - I was an Admin there - but I was a community admin - meaning, I weeded out membership requests and kept eye on posts.
Oh, I'm sure everyone was just jesting. Truly, the heat of the sun on the sand does make people make some queer jests.

Ahhh, jesters on the sands...aye aye aye...we'd like to choke with our hands...aye aye aye...
Irulan Corrino wrote:But don't take it personally. I'm not blaming anyone for inactivity or lack of interest/support.
...nowdays. :roll:

HoosierDaddy

Post by HoosierDaddy »

Nice "tick slap" IC.

:P
orald

Post by orald »

Personally I prefer spearing them on a needle and burning them with a lighter while they wriggle.
Last edited by orald on 02 Jun 2008 15:50, edited 1 time in total.

Pardot Kynes

Post by Pardot Kynes »

It's spelled wriggle.

What we wish, we readily believe, and what we ourselves think, we imagine others think also.
-Julius Caesar

http://www.rjgeib.com/thoughts/451/451.html
http://omacl.org/
Irulan Corrino

Post by Irulan Corrino »

HoosierDaddy, I love the pig. :wink:
orald

Post by orald »

Pardot Kynes wrote:It's spelled wriggle.

Obviously it's a typo, Pard, the "w" slipped away. Fixed now. Happy? :|

Edit: Also, I wonder if anyone's getting my witty sniping remarks. It'd be a shame if no one did. :roll:

Actually I had a bad filling about the spelling and knew I probably forgot something but left it as is.

Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

orald wrote:
Pardot Kynes wrote:It's spelled wriggle.

Obviously it's a typo, Pard, the "w" slipped away. Fixed now. Happy? :|

Edit: Also, I wonder if anyone's getting my witty sniping remarks. It'd be a shame if no one did. :roll:

Actually I had a bad filling about the spelling and knew I probably forgot something but left it as is.
I think your posts are very kind and sweet, orald.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
HoosierDaddy

Post by HoosierDaddy »

Irulan Corrino wrote:HoosierDaddy, I love the pig. :wink:
Chigger gets the credit for putting the final touches on the HLP pig.

8)
orald

Post by orald »

Omphalos wrote:I think your posts are very kind and sweet, orald.
Why, thank you, dear. :)

SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Thanks ever so, Your Highness, for downsizing the sig image! It's almost legible.

As for the rest, well, if you put that much money, time and energy into the site it looks like you would have kept proper backups; I seem to remember you posting somewhere (Arrakeen, perhaps?) that you hadn't. But whatever.

At least you knew when to quit.

Your Most Humble Servant
Irulan Corrino

Post by Irulan Corrino »

I had backups and then my desktop died. That pretty much took care of the backups. LOL

Thanks, I learned my lesson. ;)
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

:shock:

Back-up the back-ups!

Burn it on a CD and put it in a safe deposit box!
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Irulan Corrino

Post by Irulan Corrino »

That's a bit extreme... :lol:

Naw, I will leave running of Dune fansites to the truly dedicated fans. :)
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

I'm against putting any thing in a safe deposit bix now, we all know what happened last time! :twisted:
orald

Post by orald »

OMG, I just found out Chig's deposit box and it's full of love letters to Kevin! :shock:
Appearantly he's been a preek all this time and working for the HLP, venting our rage in unproductive ways to divert us from doing them any harm.
I sure wish he was still with us to explain these here letters and notes... :(

Oh, he's still alive? :oops:

Damn.

SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Well, it's a SEMBLANCE of life, anyway. :roll:

:P

Mostly it consists of parading around like a "know-it-all" and arguing on the user forums at Amazon. :D

Anyway, MULTIPLE REDUNDANCIES is the key, YRH.

Just like in the new books! HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA! :wink:
orald

Post by orald »

Ah, so in case some future archeologist finds some P&B book with lots of pages missing he'll still know all the plot?