Jacurutu stamp of rejection(Font by DuneFishUk)

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

lotek

Jacurutu stamp of rejection(Font by DuneFishUk)

Post by lotek »

I thought we might need that one too

For some reason it doesn't save the clear one, I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong so Nekhrun if you want to work your magic again
(and in the process just explain how it's done if you have time, thanks !)
Spice is the worm's gonads.
DuneFishUK

Re: Jacurutu stamp of rejection(Font by DuneFishUk)

Post by DuneFishUK »

I like this one even more :)

What are you making these in? - in Photoshop I always use "Save for Web", There you can select "PNG" from the list and then make sure the "Transparency" box is ticked :)
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -
Apjak

Post by Apjak »

Need. Actual. Stamp.
I don't think the author should make the reader do that much work - Kevin J. Anderson
We think we've updated 'Dune' for a modern readership without dumbing it down.- Brian Herbert
There’s an unwritten compact between you and the reader. If someone enters a bookstore and sets down hard earned money(energy) for your book, you owe that person some entertainment and as much more as you can give. - Frank Herbert
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Oops! Forgot about this. Ill get it done tonight.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

lotek wrote:I thought we might need that one too

For some reason it doesn't save the clear one, I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong so Nekhrun if you want to work your magic again
(and in the process just explain how it's done if you have time, thanks !)
It's been mentioned already, but JPEG's don't save transparent backgrounds. It would have to be a PNG. I'll work on this later.

Edit:
"If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

Happy Memorial Day everyone! -James C. Harwood

"Three of my videos have over 100 views."
"Over 500 views for my 'Open Question' video." -Nebiros
lotek

Post by lotek »

DuneFishUK wrote:I like this one even more :)

What are you making these in? - in Photoshop I always use "Save for Web", There you can select "PNG" from the list and then make sure the "Transparency" box is ticked :)
I use the pxlr graber tool, I'm not sure what format it uses as I mainly use it for screenshots I always added the image as a new layer and erased the background when needed...
Not very professional but then again I'm not, but I don't mind learning
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

Ah - the case of the good workman not blaming his tools :)

Just Googled it... have you tried the pixilr editor - it is actually practically Photoshop :P

- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

DuneFishUK wrote:Ah - the case of the good workman not blaming his tools :)

Just Googled it... have you tried the pixilr editor - it is actually practically Photoshop :P

I use GIMP, it's got pretty much everything.
"If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

lotek

Post by lotek »

I don't know some obvious ropes and tricks, I learn as I go along so sometimes I'll struggle with concepts that are evident to others more used to that kind of stuff.
I don't expect to become an expert but there are a few things I'd like to be able to do.
Especially applying a texture. In those pics, I select and erase the text to create a stencil, and add layers of the stamp image underneath until I'm satisfied with the way it looks.
Kind of the long road I guess.
DuneFishUK wrote:Just Googled it... have you tried the pixilr editor - it is actually practically Photoshop :P

yep it's the one I use I got the name wrong :)

I used to have Photofiltre but I lost it last time my pc crashed and I had to reinstall windows...

You say that it's practically photoshop ? I was under the impression it was a dumbed down version of it.

The only thing I find annoying is that I can't seem to multiple select using CTRL, so to apply the same effect to several selections I do it one by one.

But it's counterbalanced by the option of uploading directly your image using the same tool, and the ability to work on virtually anything online.

For some reason I could grab flash videos/images but now it only captures an empty window, shame.
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

Nekhrun wrote:I use GIMP, it's got pretty much everything.
Gimp is great, but just a bit too different for me - I trip myself up and wish it was PS everytime I use it :P

Hmm, looking at it again now, you;re right - Pixlr is very dumbed down. But is a PS clone though - same hotkeys and everything.
Nekhrun wrote: Image
You've caught some light-coloured pixels - if you mask the image with a greyscale version if itself and then cock about with the curves/levels you can get a load more control. (Although, it's still not perfect and you can only notice it on dark backgrounds.)

As in:

:)
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

lotek wrote:
I don't know some obvious ropes and tricks, I learn as I go along so sometimes I'll struggle with concepts that are evident to others more used to that kind of stuff.
I don't expect to become an expert but there are a few things I'd like to be able to do.
Especially applying a texture. In those pics, I select and erase the text to create a stencil, and add layers of the stamp image underneath until I'm satisfied with the way it looks.
Kind of the long road I guess.
Try GIMP - I've ruined myself with PS, but GIMP is pretty powerful :)
lotek

Post by lotek »

I do have it on my pc, but I got used to photofiltre and I'm a bit confused by the Gimp (now that sounds weirder than I thought)

I kinda liked the dumbed down factor of PixlrEditor, I thought it would be a good introduction to basic pic editing to have less tools and work my way round a problem to understand the process so I could identify the proper tool when using a more complex editor.
lotek

Post by lotek »

DuneFishUK wrote:You've caught some light-coloured pixels - if you mask the image with a greyscale version if itself and then cock about with the curves/levels you can get a load more control. (Although, it's still not perfect and you can only notice it on dark backgrounds.)
thanks for the advice !
I miss the duotone option of photofiltre, it was quite handy to create stencils.

I know what masks are but haven't got round to actually use them, it seems that time has come.

Is there a way to select a color to erase all pixels using it ?
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

lotek wrote:
DuneFishUK wrote:You've caught some light-coloured pixels - if you mask the image with a greyscale version if itself and then cock about with the curves/levels you can get a load more control. (Although, it's still not perfect and you can only notice it on dark backgrounds.)
thanks for the advice !
I miss the duotone option of photofiltre, it was quite handy to create stencils.

I know what masks are but haven't got round to actually use them, it seems that time has come.

Is there a way to select a color to erase all pixels using it ?
Masks are probably the single most useful thing to learn. Always avoid deleting something if you can - make a mask instead.

In PS you can "Select Colour Range" and also "Load Selection" - which is also very very (very) useful. (I couldn't see either of those in the Pixlr editor :( ).

Edit: What do you mean by Duotone?
lotek

Post by lotek »

I think that's what they called it in photofiltre, it's that effect that would only use two colours in the image. I used it to select areas where shades block the use of the magic wand.

I think I've fiddled enough to go to the next stage though, I'll look up the use of masks then.
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

DuneFishUK wrote:
Nekhrun wrote: Image
You've caught some light-coloured pixels - if you mask the image with a greyscale version if itself and then cock about with the curves/levels you can get a load more control. (Although, it's still not perfect and you can only notice it on dark backgrounds.)

As in:

:)
Thanks for the tip!
DuneFishUK wrote:
Nekhrun wrote:I use GIMP, it's got pretty much everything.
Gimp is great, but just a bit too different for me - I trip myself up and wish it was PS everytime I use it :P

Hmm, looking at it again now, you;re right - Pixlr is very dumbed down. But is a PS clone though - same hotkeys and everything.

Try GIMP - I've ruined myself with PS, but GIMP is pretty powerful :)
I was given PS at work but after using GIMP for the last few years I can't get the hang of PS. That's what comes from only using open source stuff for so long. Now when I work for a place that has some money, I stick with what I know most of the time.