I love Hollywood

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

SandRider
Watermaster

Re: I love Hollywood

Post by SandRider »

I'm sure they'll answer that question in the remake of Total Recall ...
but I kinda doubt they can find a midget as hot as Debbie Lee Carrington...
now, mind you, there's alotta hot dwarf chicks out there, and while
I ain't really all that prejudice, midgets and dwarves just ain't the same thing ...

and I coulda swore I made a passing reference to me & Russell & Jim & Bob Lazar,
and a drunken, bitter George Knapp clinging onto me on top of Boulder Dam screaming,
"OH DEAR LORD GOD, WHAT HAVE I DONE !!!" and if pressed, I'da said it was two
Halloweens ago, but I checked and that was all about The Rocky Horror Picture Show
and the Sheriff of Clark County, Nevada, and the only result for a "Bob Lazar" search is today ...

maybe @T(A)U, or maybe at one of those civil war discussion boards I'm banned at ...
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
Redstar

Post by Redstar »

Probably the minority all over, but I'm looking forward to the Bill & Ted sequel. It may suck, but the fact that it's being scripted by the original writers and will star both Keanu Reeves and Alex Winter means it will at least demonstrate a true continuation of the story.

Plus, I personally know David Snyder and his love for trilogies. If they bring him back I trust he'd continue the cool production design of the originals.

I'm also curious how the proposed Time Bandits remake will fare since I had always wanted a sequel. My only hope is that they seek out dwarf actors and maintain a fantasy segment.
Redstar

Post by Redstar »

After two decades or so of development hell, it looks like the Ender's Game film adaptation is finally underway. Last we heard it was canceled after Card himself couldn't seem to write a decent screenplay; no word on whether anything he wrote will be the basis for the new project.

Gavin Hood (X-Men Origins) is directing while 14-year-old Asa Butterfield (Hugo, The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas) is starring as Ender. Hailee Steinfeld of True Grit is in talks to play Petra.

Both actors are definitely older than their characters, but they're at least not over 18. They're younger than I expected. I'd very much like to see if they can adapt this to film since it seems like such a simple concept that would translate well.

Unfortunately, thinking of all this brought back memories of how much I absolutely despised the later books in the series. I really wouldn't mind if they screwed those ones up.
Tleszer

Post by Tleszer »

How is the Ender Series? I've always been interested but have only read the short story.
DUNE, as interpreted by a blue man with a green tushie
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Tleszer wrote:How is the Ender Series? I've always been interested but have only read the short story.
The first book is great, if not a showcase of repressed sexuality.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

Omphalos wrote:
Tleszer wrote:How is the Ender Series? I've always been interested but have only read the short story.
The first book is great, if not a showcase of repressed sexuality.
I like them, though Shadow Puppets is pretty boring. I just read Ender in Exile last week. A little boring, but it's good entertainment without being as shitty as a kja or typical Star Wars novel.
"If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

Happy Memorial Day everyone! -James C. Harwood

"Three of my videos have over 100 views."
"Over 500 views for my 'Open Question' video." -Nebiros
JustSomeGuy

Post by JustSomeGuy »

Ender's Game is garbage. That's just my opinion, of course. I'd like to know what you think, if you ever read it.
I bring nothing to the table.
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

I liked Ender's Game 1. Not read beyond it though.
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -
trang

Post by trang »

JustSomeGuy wrote:
Ender's Game is garbage. That's just my opinion, of course. I'd like to know what you think, if you ever read it.
Entitled to your opinion of course, but every sci fi list out there Enders Game is rocking in the top 5 best sci-fi books of all time. The first book is kick ass, (kinda like Dune series) then the rest of the series just depends how each one hits you.

As for the movie becoming real, the main reason it hadnt come to fruit is because of OSC himself, he is or was very controlling and I would blame the delay on him. Personally I think as time has passed he has gotten worse as author. Has Huge EGo and not affraid to comment on just about anything out there with conviction, even if his head is up his ass.
"Long Live the Fighters", "Dragon.....the other white meat."

Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

trang wrote:Entitled to your opinion of course, but every sci fi list out there Enders Game is rocking in the top 5 best sci-fi books of all time. The first book is kick ass, (kinda like Dune series) then the rest of the series just depends how each one hits you.
BLASPHEMER!

The more I read the series, the less I like Dune and like the latter books more.

Sure, Dune is a masterwork of prose and uses archetypes to the utmost, but to me the story really gets going in CoD and GEoD.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
JustSomeGuy

Post by JustSomeGuy »

Freakzilla wrote:BLASPHEMER!

The more I read the series, the less I like Dune and like the latter books more.

Sure, Dune is a masterwork of prose and uses archetypes to the utmost, but to me the story really gets going in CoD and GEoD.
Yes! Dune Messiah is my favorite. I was also impressed by Heretics of Dune and Chapterhouse: Dune. Children of Dune and God Emperor of Dune, well... I'm almost finished with Dune- I'll think about them when I get to them.
I bring nothing to the table.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

I'm an old hat, my opinion means nothing.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Robspierre

Post by Robspierre »

Freakzilla wrote:I'm an old hat, my opinion means nothing.
Freak, the older I get, te more I view Dune, Messiah, and Children as one work. All three need to be read to get the broad picture. Frank breaking them up allows us to digest the ideas and concepts.

Rob
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Maybe having already built his universe in the first three, he had a little more freedom to express himself in the latter books?
~Pink Snowman
Redstar

Post by Redstar »

The novel works well around the short story. Not much is really changed, though the concept and background are heavily expanded upon. As said elsewhere, the novel is one of the great entries in the genre. I feel it's because of it's simplicity; it remains focused on a few themes and relationships, which really helps to draw you in.

Speaker For the Dead, the sequel, is about equal in quality as it was originally conceived as a stand-alone work that was rewritten to feature Ender as the protagonist. This is why the short story was expanded into a novel: to tie the two stories together.

While Speaker For the Dead ends on a cliffhanger, I wouldn't recommend going further. The next two books are bogged down by discussions of entry-level philosophy, scientific explanations for the soul and bickering among every character. No one is likable. They're all assholes who either act for the "benefit" of others or don't act at all when needed.

Ender's Shadow, which runs concurrently to Ender's Game (but from Bean's perspective) is actually quite good, but pretty much deconstructs everything that Ender did as really Bean's idea. Bean was behind everything and was actually working WITH Colonel Graff to push Ender to victory.

All the other entries in the Shadow series do much the same, though with Peter. Peter does absolutely nothing to become Hegemon; Bean does all that as well. A huge subplot also follows the 8-year-old Bean being married to and impregnating the 12-year-old Petra with his super-babies. It's as ridiculous and boring as it sounds.
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

Redstar wrote:All the other entries in the Shadow series do much the same, though with Peter. Peter does absolutely nothing to become Hegemon; Bean does all that as well. A huge subplot also follows the 8-year-old Bean being married to and impregnating the 12-year-old Petra with his super-babies. It's as ridiculous and boring as it sounds.
Well, OSC is a Mormon.
"If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

Happy Memorial Day everyone! -James C. Harwood

"Three of my videos have over 100 views."
"Over 500 views for my 'Open Question' video." -Nebiros
trang

Post by trang »

Freakzilla wrote:
trang wrote:Entitled to your opinion of course, but every sci fi list out there Enders Game is rocking in the top 5 best sci-fi books of all time. The first book is kick ass, (kinda like Dune series) then the rest of the series just depends how each one hits you.
BLASPHEMER!

not really sure how I'm a Blasphemer, I was making comparison from the stand point of first reading the series.

Later books of any series it depends on how they hit you after you have read them, then ponder the whole afterwords. Which was better ? The Hobbit? Fellowship? two Towers? ROTK? Simarillian?

I love DUNE as a stand alone as much as I do it being the beginning that sets up the entire duniverse(names, place,etc).

GodEmperor is my favorite of the series.

I think Enders game and DUNE are both suberb stand alone's. I dont think the remaining books in the Ender original series hold a candle to the the remaining DUNE Books, not even close.

I do think that Speaker for the Dead and Dune Messiah have a similar tone and change up for both series.

Again not sure anywhere in here where I am Blaspheming?
"Long Live the Fighters", "Dragon.....the other white meat."

Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

I was just kidding. I hear all the time that the books after Dune aren't as good but I think they're all outstanding in their own way.
~Pink Snowman
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

I'll pass.

(Have only read the short story and wasn't impressed. I prefer to remember OSC from his early Omni magazine days. :hand: :snooty: )
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Anyone ever watch movies on 'Crackle'? Just found it on my BR player and it's tag is 'Free Hollywood Movies & TV Series"

I'm all for free stuff...
~Pink Snowman
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

you'll love this one:

http://www.1channel.ch" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.1channel.ch/?tag=American+Civil+War" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Thanks! Now if I can just figure out how to get that on my TV...
~Pink Snowman
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

off the top of my head, the only way I would know how would be to install a TV Tuner card
on your PC, and run the video signal to the TV ... what that would look like, I have no idea ...

also, as with all the chinese & russian mafia sites, be sure to check where the link is actually
pointing ... f'instance, the links from 1channel I've had the best luck with are to sockshare
& putlocker (both give a series of pop-unders to be dealt with) ... but the big "Play in HD"
buttons and such over the video player are links to another site that try to sell you a (dubious)
HD streaming service ... don't click those, click the "play" button to the right, or the "play"
button on the video player itself ...

from there, most of the movies look just fine on "full screen" on my big-ass monitors ... most of
the links from sockshare & putlocker play very well, with a minimum of catches or stops ... altho
some will play for a long time & then just freeze up ... some catch & go too much to be watchable ...
the only one I've had a real problem with is "the Rise of the Planet of the Apes" ... I've not be able
to get any of the linked sites to play this thing all the way thru ...

on the other hand, "Captain America", "The Green Latern", "Cowboys & Aliens" and a bunch of other
"new" movies have played flawlessly ... older movies seem to play better, too ... it's not a 100%
reliable site, but then, it's not only "free", it's also straight-up ripping-off the Hollywood Studios,
so you got that going for you ...
ImageImage

Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

A co-worker told me there's a way to get to internet movie sites through the BR player but I can't figure it out.
~Pink Snowman
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

I've only got my little 14" Dell Inspiron for a computer.
~Pink Snowman