Boxing

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Nietzsche's mustache

Boxing

Post by Nietzsche's mustache »

:angry-boxing:
There were some great fights last Saturday night!

Did anyone get a chance to see Paquiao vs. Marquez 3?
But it is the body that is inspired: let us keep "the soul" out of it.
-Friedrich W. Nietzsche in Ecce Homo (1888)

Knowledge is an unending adventure at the edge of uncertainty.
-Leto II
Serkanner
Administrator

Re: Boxing

Post by Serkanner »

Nietzsche's mustache wrote::angry-boxing:

I have seen it and I feel Marquez was stolen a clear victory. It was an exciting match, not great, but exciting. Paquiao wasn't able to land a lot and to me it was obvious Marquez was landig far more punches. Again you see that the title holder starts with some extra points.
"... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

“There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
and wrote a Dune Novel."
Nietzsche's mustache

Serkanner wrote:
Nietzsche's mustache wrote::angry-boxing:

I have seen it and I feel Marquez was stolen a clear victory. It was an exciting match, not great, but exciting. Paquiao wasn't able to land a lot and to me it was obvious Marquez was landig far more punches. Again you see that the title holder starts with some extra points.
I agree. I believe Paquiao landed a few more shots overall, but Marquez out boxed him at least 9 out of 12 rounds. He also landed the harder, crisper shots. I wouldn't call it a robbery (I've seen HORRIBLE decisions) but Marquez won in my eyes.

After this, how can ANYONE say that Paquiao will beat Mayweather? Marquez is a great counter puncher. Maywather is the BEST counter puncher of this generation. Paquiao has always had trouble with boxers with a slick counter-punching style.

As you pointed out, that fight was exciting, not great. But the Alvarado vs. Prescott fight on the undercard was AMAZING. Blood, guts and a come from behind win. That guy's (Alvarado) got some real cojones.

-Leto II
Serkanner
Administrator

Post by Serkanner »

I have to download every match because I'm on the other side of the ocean without a connection to the live matches. I try to follow matches when I can as soon as possible after it has been made "public".

Perhaps outboxed is too strong but I really thought it was clear Marquez put the better punches in. I agree I have seen some horrible decisions before but lately I had the feeling the judges were becoming better again.

I would like to see Pacquiao take on Mayweather next. It is a fight I have been looking for for some time and thought it wouldn't happen any more after mayweather retired. I have seen his last match and I still think he is a whole class on his own. He is an arrogant bastard, but also a terrific boxer.

and wrote a Dune Novel."
Nietzsche's mustache

Mayweather is my favorite boxer. I know that he is arrogant, petty and unnecessarily abusive in his comments, but I'm not looking for role models when I watch boxing. Entertainment is what's it all about, and this guy puts on a show every time he steps into the ring. His boxing IQ is off the charts.

Sadly, it looks like Paquiao-Mayweather may not happen any time soon.
http://espn.go.com/boxing/story/_/id/72 ... talk-fight" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
:tissue2:

-Leto II
Serkanner
Administrator

Post by Serkanner »

I read similar articles about the improbability of a Paquiao-Mayweather bout. It would really be a shame if it never happens.

On the 10th of December Wladimir Klitschko is defending his world heavy weight title. I wouldn't mind seeing him eating the canvas. :twisted:

and wrote a Dune Novel."
Nietzsche's mustache

Yep, I'm not a big fan of either Klitschko. Someone needs to step up and challenge this boring duo. Don't know much about Vlad's opponent though (Mormek?).

You shouldn't miss Cotto Vs Margarito 2 (Dec. 3). Lot's of bad blood between those two, many people believe Margarito used a "hardening substance" on his hand wraps the night of their firs encounter. It's going to be a WAR... :angry-argument: :angry-boxing:

-Leto II