A Thing of Eternity

Re: First Republican Presidential Candidate for '12

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

Republican debates are always such intense meetings of the minds. :lol:
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

Some good points were raised, regardless.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
A Thing of Eternity

Of course, a thousand monkies at a thousand typewriters... :wink:

I like to push buttons...'tis fun.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Last night on the Colbert Report, I saw Rev Al Sharpton say he wouldn't vote for Cain if he was running against a white guy.

:shock:

Nah, I wasn't really shocked. They did a skit before that about how being republican loses you your black card.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

BTW, my man is leading the polls. :wink:
~Pink Snowman
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

Niggerhead or the black guy ?

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls ... -1452.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

here's your "reality check", Freak:
http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls ... dates.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

(sorry)
Last edited by SandRider on 25 Oct 2011 13:42, edited 1 time in total.
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

SandRider wrote:Niggerhead
That was the name of Rick Perry's ranch, huh? :lol:
or the black guy ?
Yes

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_162- ... -nyt-poll/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
~Pink Snowman
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls ... dates.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

~Pink Snowman
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

I've been shocked, I've not been keeping up with the day-to-day campaign ...

I just can't imagine what Niggerhead must've told the Robber Barons & Party Bosses
between the announcement and the debates ... the only theory I have so far is that
it is way-too-complicated racial politics .... put Niggerhead and the Black Guy head
to head in the primaries, attempting to seem indifferent to race, but planting the
idea of an all-black Federal Presidential Election .... nominate Niggerhead with
promises of a Cabinet Post for the Black Guy (or some "economic advisor" role)

watch for Niggerhead to begin to agree with the Black Guy on economic policy
but tout his governmental experience as Federal Occupational Governor over
the "pizza man" .... (Niggerhead's gonna claim "foreign policy" experience for
Texas being a "border state" ....)
ImageImage

A Thing of Eternity

I think it would be kind of tacky for there to be two black presidents in a row. And isn't this Cain the guy that always puts his foot in his mouth contradicting himself? Or was that a different black republican (not sure I believe there's such a thing as a second black republican though...). :wink:
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

He's made a few gaffes about things like foreign policy and racism, but nothing on the order af magnitude of Joe Biden.
~Pink Snowman
A Thing of Eternity

To be fair, everyone contradicts themselves from time to time, even I do and I'm pretty much the best possible candidate for leading any nation. :wink:

I still think it's tacky though, don't they have a blind pregant asian woman or something they can run?
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

I think the theory is, Obama got elected on a slim margin because of black people voting for him just because he was black. So they want to get some of that action.
~Pink Snowman
A Thing of Eternity

That's pretty much what I'm going on. It's too bad that apparently every single woman republican is comepletely batshit insane and retarded (that one's for you Palin!) at the same time or they could go for that option.

I just find Cain kinda off-putting, he just gives me that used-car salesman vibe.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

A Thing of Eternity wrote:I just find Cain kinda off-putting, he just gives me that used-car salesman vibe.
He's seriously all about business, but I don't think he's trying to sell us a lemon. I think he believes in what he's pushing.
~Pink Snowman
A Thing of Eternity

Freakzilla wrote:
A Thing of Eternity wrote:I just find Cain kinda off-putting, he just gives me that used-car salesman vibe.
He's seriously all about business, but I don't think he's trying to sell us a lemon. I think he believes in what he's pushing.
I'm sure almost all politicians do, Obama clearly does. Most of them genuinely do just want to make things better, it's just how to go about it. Of course some of them (Bachman, Palin) are just complete fools who probably believe the world is flat, but that's beside the point. I think most politicians mean well, they just also know that they have to lie and cheat and bend rules to get the job done, and over time they can become more and more confused about what the hell they are supposed to be accomplishing in the first place.

Very few of them are actually out to get us.

EDIT: and of course you have conflicting opinions about how far the ends justify the means, and what "better" even means.
Freakzilla

Can Herman Cain actually win the GOP nomination?

Post by Freakzilla »

Herman Cain continues to run strong in polls of Republican voters nationwide and in key states. So why do experts still say he's a long shot for the GOP nomination? Organization and experience.

By Linda Feldmann | Christian Science Monitor – 3 hrs ago..

From the start, Herman Cain has confounded the Republican elite. The former pizza magnate, Navy mathematician, and talk radio host with no political experience jumped into the presidential race with both feet way back in January and has never looked back.

Mr. Cain has enticed GOP voters with his catchy "9-9-9" tax plan and moved them with his up-by-the-bootstraps life story. He has also raised eyebrows with a series of gaffes, strange ads, and reports of "chaos" within his campaign. But he’s a robo-candidate, plowing ahead, ever-smiling. And he’s ahead in the polls among likely GOP primary voters, both nationally and in key early nominating states. His Achilles’ heel is fundraising and organization.

Could Cain actually win the Republican nomination? In theory, yes. But political analysts still view Cain as a long shot.

A story in The New York Times posted Wednesday quotes former aides describing a campaign that churns through staff, mishandles potential donors, and makes nonsensical scheduling decisions. All campaigns, especially those new to presidential politics, go through some disorder, but given that Cain’s argument for the presidency is his private-sector management experience, he has a lot to prove in short order.

But at least one experienced Republican strategist now working for Cain speaks optimistically about Cain’s chances. Steve Grubbs, the new chairman of Cain’s campaign in Iowa, describes an effort that is now on track in this critical early nominating state, with fundraising that is “doing dramatically better” and finally getting volunteers organized. Mr. Grubbs, former chairman of the Iowa GOP who has worked on past presidential campaigns, spoke to the Monitor Wednesday by phone after a meeting with Iowa campaign staff and volunteers.

“The volunteer phone bank was brisk,” said Grubbs. “That’s what I wanted to see. That’s a bit of a change.”

In July, Cain’s top staffers in Iowa resigned, citing a lack of attention by Cain to the state. Grubbs’s appointment as Iowa chairman, announced last Thursday, signaled a renewed commitment by Cain to Iowa, which holds the first nominating contest on Jan. 3. Grubbs says the campaign’s goal is to appoint precinct captains to 80 percent of the state’s 1,800 precincts by Dec. 1.

“So far, we’re exceeding our goals,” says Grubbs, who is unpaid. Cain has four paid staffers in Iowa, he says.

The name of the game in Iowa is organization. Unlike a primary, which involves only voting, an Iowa GOP caucus entails speeches, casting of ballots, party fundraising, and other party business. To do well, a campaign needs to engage in major voter outreach to get supporters to show up on a cold winter night, and devote a fair amount of time. Voter passion matters, but it will take a candidate only so far.

Iowa’s caucuses are only 10 weeks away, and Cain is getting a late start. Still, he’s strong in the polls. The RealClearPolitics average of recent polls in Iowa shows Cain leading among likely Republican caucus-goers with 28 percent, followed by former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney at 23 percent. The latest poll, by CNN, has Cain at 21 and Mr. Romney at 24. If Cain can do well in Iowa, that could open the floodgates of donations and set him up to be a serious contender.

“He has to win Iowa; I think that’s the real key,” says Ford O’Connell, chairman of the conservative Civic Forum PAC. “Should he win Iowa, people will show him how to build a national organization.”

Still, Mr. O’Connell believes it’s “extremely unlikely” that Cain will go on to win the nomination, “given his lack of organization and campaign resources.”

In the third quarter of 2011, Cain raised $2.8 million, versus Romney’s $14 million and Texas Gov. Rick Perry’s $17 million. But Governor Perry has sunk in the polls after a series of sub-par debate performances, and Cain has been the direct beneficiary. He won the Florida straw poll a month ago and has been a top-tier contender ever since, at least in the polls.

Romney is the only candidate who combines good poll numbers, major-league fundraising, and extensive organization. But he seems to have hit a ceiling in national polls in the mid-20s. Whether he can break through that ceiling is an open question. If voters continue to resist him, the question is who will emerge as the “anti-Romney” – and when will that alternative become clear.

Cain is certainly in the running to be the one who goes head-to-head against the establishment-backed Romney, but a lot of analysts are still looking to Governor Perry – who has the more typical résumé for a presidential candidate – to ultimately fill that role.

Cain has plenty of tea party support to fuel his outsider status, though not all tea partyers support him. Some object to his having served as chairman of the Kansas City Federal Reserve Bank earlier in his career; they also didn’t like his favorable comment during the Oct. 11 debate about former Fed Chairman Alan Greenspan.

The real question about Cain is whether he can convince enough voters that he is running a serious campaign – and that his lack of political and policy experience wouldn’t put him at a insurmountable disadvantage against President Obama in the general election.

He recently has committed a series of gaffes that make political observers wonder whether he has given this campaign enough thought to be successful. He calls himself “pro-life,” but then described abortion as a personal “choice” that should not involve the government. Last week, he said he would consider freeing all the prisoners in the Guantánamo Bay prison camp in exchange for a hypothetical US hostage. He didn’t know what “neoconservative” meant in a discussion on foreign policy.

“He’s a tremendously charming, capable guy, but he doesn’t seem to be a serious candidate,” says Dennis Goldford, a political scientist at Drake University in Des Moines, Iowa. “He hasn’t taken the time to build an organization or think through in depth the range of issues and policies he’d have to address.”

Other analysts point to the one commodity Cain has that is lacking in the other candidates: an idea that got people talking, his 9-9-9 tax plan. Perry did raise an impressive sum of money in the third quarter, but the history of campaigns is littered with fundraising stars who go nowhere when the voters have their say.

“The power of an idea in this primary is very important,” says Republican pollster David Winston. “Cain has proven that. Whether his idea will stand up to vetting, we’ll find out.”

Grubbs, Cain’s man in Iowa, maintains that Iowans will be seeing a lot more of Cain in coming weeks. And, he adds, Cain’s book tour, which critics said was distracting from his campaign, is over. “He’s campaigning,” he says.
~Pink Snowman
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

Niggerhead's done lost his rabbit-ass mind :

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/201 ... te-design/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/ ... story.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://content.usatoday.com/communities ... -against/1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

BTW, despite the authoritative reporting by "USA Today", the SCV "logo" is not the "Stars & Bars" ....

also, the Post simply copy-pasta'd the AP wire story, which declined to include the tidbit that the "plaques with Confederate symbols"
at the Supreme Court in Austin were in fact a memorial to the Widows of Confederate Veterans, seeing as how the money used to
build that building was re-apportioned from the surplus of the Confederate Veterans Widow's Pension Fund ... (also omitting that the
plaques were removed in the dead of night by Parks & Wildlife personnel (and not the regular Capitol maintenance staff) on top-secret
hush-hush orders from George W.)(and, omitting as well that the SCV sued the living shit out of the State, won the case, and the plaques
are now back right where they used to be, before that other shit-heel (Federal Occupational) Governor of Texas decided to run for Emperor ...)
ImageImage

Crysknife

Post by Crysknife »

What is Cain's stance on abortion? After hearing him explain it 2 times I'm still not sure. It's not like his 999 plan will ever go anywhere. People act like he will just put it in place if he gets elected. I want to see how he presides when he doesn't get his way, which I'm sure he's never had that problem much.
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

Crysknife wrote:What is Cain's stance on abortion? After hearing him explain it 2 times I'm still not sure.
Oh, you must've missed when he made this ad:
http://crooksandliars.com/nicole-belle/ ... p-i-dont-0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also, he's against abortion and life begins at conception, but he wants the government to stay out of people's decision-making by making abortion illegal.
"If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

Happy Memorial Day everyone! -James C. Harwood

"Three of my videos have over 100 views."
"Over 500 views for my 'Open Question' video." -Nebiros
Jodorowsky's Acolyte

Post by Jodorowsky's Acolyte »

I know it's an act of insanity to post here in the POLITICS section, since I still don't know how to walk without rhythm or to walk silently like a Fremen. Forgive me, Jacurutu. I'll just make a few comments, and then roam the South Polar regions for a bit.

From observing the political debates among the Republicans so far, if they are undecided in picking one Republican candidate, perhaps all the candidates should run for president together, with a vice presidential candidate each? This solution could probably ease the distress of Republican supporters, and make them feel like the President doesn't stand a chance against them. If they won, then the government of the USA can be changed from a democratic republic to an oligarchical republic, or just an oligarchy.

....Actually, that sounds like a terrifying idea.

Personally, I just hope that if a Republican was in charge, he or she won't become the Oliver Cromwell of America, or a Tleilaxu high priest. I find it hard to understand why they're not accused of falling into the trap of using their charisma to gain followers. The fanaticism of their supporters are even more frightening.

Hasn't anyone here read Winston Churchill's The Duke of Marlborough? Neither have I, just its BBC adaptation: The First Churchills. Still, I find the manipulation of political power by the hardcore Whigs during the Restoration era, not to mention by the Jacobean Tories who opposed John Churchill, to be eerily relevant present situation in our country.

OK, that's all for my comments.
'...all those who took part in the rise and fall of the Dune project learned how to fall one and one thousand times with savage obstinacy until learning how to stand. I remember my old father who, while dying happy, said to me: "My son, in my life, I triumphed because I learned how to fail."' -Alejandro Jodorowsky
Serkanner
Administrator

Post by Serkanner »

I have been "following" US politics for the alst 25 years and I fail to see a real difference between the Dems. and the Reps. Perhaps its about time the US takes the next step in the field of democracy, leave the "ancient" teachings of the French revolution behind them and become a more 'stable' ( = not what I really mean but I lack vocabulary here ) parliamentary democracy. But that's just me.
"... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

“There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
and wrote a Dune Novel."
Robspierre

Post by Robspierre »

America doesn't need any of that Democracy bullshit, we're a plutacracy dammit! God divined it to be!

Rob
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Supporting Cain, GOP base evokes Thomas hearings

Funny how the sexual harassment accusations didn't come out until after he took the lead. :roll:
~Pink Snowman