Sheeana

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

antonio

Sheeana

Post by antonio »

D Pope wrote:It's probably a semantics issue but i'm not getting how that response ( I only quoted the last bit for fear of getting the jumpy screen ) equates to, "a new direction in human evolution." Was she gifted? Yes, in several ways. Was she something new to humanity? Not in an evolutionary sense, would her ghola- if left 'unawakened'- lend some new genetic trait? Were you going for something like her thinking was evolved?
I see Sheanna as being a type comparable to Siona. Here''s a quote:

"Dromind told his trembling companions that the name Sheeana was a modern form of the ancient name, Siona. 'You all know Siona's place in the histories,' he said. 'She served Shai-hulud in His transformation from human shape into the Divided God.'"

Just as Siona had unique genetic characteristics that she passed on to her descendents, I assert that Siona does also. Is this directly stated in the texts? No. Does that mean it's untrue? No. However, there is a plan to pair Sheeana and Duncan in a manner similar to the historic Siona and Duncan pairing. In other words, there are several clues and suggestions that Sheena is a new and improved version of Siona, just as Duncan is a new and improved version of his previous selves. :think:
D Pope

Re: Chapter 30

Post by D Pope »

Is this directly stated in the texts? No. Does that mean it's untrue? No.
No argueing with that, thank you for clarifying your point.

My own personal belief is that Sheana was inspired by a real person and served as the inspiration for the HMs as well. I doubt anyone could find anything to lend any credence to my idea but I don't care. I like it and will probably continue to believe it even after sombody burglerizes Brians place & shows me the FH signed page specifically stating Sheanas origins because really, who would do that except to hide the truth.
Last edited by D Pope on 23 Jun 2011 22:54, edited 1 time in total.
Leto II is gone for good, except for OM. The "pearl" was just that; a miniscule portion of what Leto was, and not a compressed version of the whole. The pearl that the worms have do not make them Leto, or in any way similar to him.
-Omphalos
antonio

Post by antonio »

D Pope wrote:
My own personal belief is that Sheana was inspired by a real person and served as the inspiration for the HMs as well.
Okay, I'm going to have to think about that one. They both have Freeman and Fishspeaker origins. Sheanna could almost master the Voice without Spice. A real person: a real child?
D Pope

Post by D Pope »

This really isn't the place for this, would you like to start a new thread or shall I?

edit; I'm sure management could be persuaded to move the pertinent content to a new location.
Freakzilla wrote:We've gone way off topic.
:Adolf:
Leto II is gone for good, except for OM. The "pearl" was just that; a miniscule portion of what Leto was, and not a compressed version of the whole. The pearl that the worms have do not make them Leto, or in any way similar to him.
-Omphalos
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Re: Sheeana

Post by Freakzilla »

I exist only to serve.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
D Pope

Post by D Pope »

As dry leaves that before the wild hurricane fly,
When they meet with an obstacle, mount to the sky.
That was quick, thanks Freak! (And i'll leave your coursers out of it!)
antonio wrote:A real person: a real child?
No, a real woman. A woman who on one hand was a freaky free thinker and on the other didn't mind using sex as a weapon.
-Omphalos
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Don't they all use sex as a weapon?
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
D Pope

Post by D Pope »

I keep hoping...
Nah, you're right all women use sex as a weapon and thems that don't, well, it's not for lack of trying.
As Merk might say, "They're after my essence."
-Omphalos
merkin muffley

Post by merkin muffley »

D Pope wrote:I keep hoping...
Nah, you're right all women use sex as a weapon and thems that don't, well, it's not for lack of trying.
As Merk might say, "They're after my essence."
I do not avoid women, Mandrake. But I do deny them my essence.
"I must admit, you have an astonishingly good idea there, Doctor...."
D Pope

Post by D Pope »

The setup... The Spike!
IT'S IN THE HOLE!
:clap: :lol: :dance: :clap:
-Omphalos
antonio

Post by antonio »

D Pope wrote:
As dry leaves that before the wild hurricane fly,
When they meet with an obstacle, mount to the sky.
That was quick, thanks Freak! (And i'll leave your coursers out of it!)
antonio wrote:A real person: a real child?
No, a real woman. A woman who on one hand was a freaky free thinker and on the other didn't mind using sex as a weapon.

Oh, we're over here now. Where is that again? The Bene Gesserit. Okay. Can you attach a name to that woman? 8-)
D Pope

Post by D Pope »

No. First off, I don't have access to any secret shit about any people of importance. Second, I doubt that Frank would've been too keen on sharing his find with anyone, least of all, an impulsive n'ere-do-well youth like me.

Picture this;
Frank's a little older, money is of less concern, he has a narrow kind of fame- I wouldn't have recognized him in a farmers market.
Circumstances afford him a chance meeting with a lady that for some reason, sparks an interest.
Fast forward a bit to the fellow, post coital, examining his attraction and BAM! you get the difference between genius and the rest of humanity.

It's just a thought.
It's just as likely that an oddly shaped sugar bowl inspired the Bellonda character. Can you deny for certain, the possibility?
-Omphalos
antonio

Post by antonio »

D Pope wrote:Picture this;
Frank's a little older, money is of less concern, he has a narrow kind of fame- I wouldn't have recognized him in a farmers market.
Circumstances afford him a chance meeting with a lady that for some reason, sparks an interest.

The name Sheanna could be inspired by someone named Anna: She Anna. Was there someone in Frank's life named Anna? Perhaps there was:

"After the war he attended the University of Washington, where he met Beverly Ann Stuart at a creative writing class in 1946. They were the only students in the class who had sold any work for publication; Herbert had sold two pulp adventure stories to magazines, the first to Esquire in 1945, and Stuart had sold a story to Modern Romance magazine. They married in Seattle, Washington on June 20, 1946."

Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Nice! :D
~Pink Snowman
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

antonio wrote:The name Sheanna could be inspired by someone named Anna: She Anna.
Oh! That must be why KJA read it that way in those dumbass podcast-version sample chapters they did!

:lol:
Lundse

Post by Lundse »

antonio

Post by antonio »

Argument from ignorance, also known as argumentum ad ignorantiam or "appeal to ignorance", is a fallacy in informal logic. It asserts that a proposition is true because it has not been proven false
Does this apply in this case? :think:
JustSomeGuy

Post by JustSomeGuy »

No, it does not.
I bring nothing to the table.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

What was the argument again?
~Pink Snowman
antonio

Post by antonio »

Freakzilla wrote:What was the argument again?
No logical argument was presented, just an intuitive conclusion supported by circumstantial evidence.
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

antonio wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:What was the argument again?
No logical argument was presented, just an intuitive conclusion supported by circumstantial evidence.
So your strategy is to wait three months when people forgot what you were talking about and then come back with that weak shit?

Looks like more of an Argument from What the Fuck is this Guy Talking About?

Why didn't you just tell him what your "Intuitive Conclusion" is?
"If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

Happy Memorial Day everyone! -James C. Harwood

"Three of my videos have over 100 views."
"Over 500 views for my 'Open Question' video." -Nebiros
Dravition

Post by Dravition »

A tangent for this thread: would somebody care to explain the significance of Sheanna's sculpture, 'the void', and why it has the effect it does on Odrade?
Leto smiled. "Duncan, have I not told you that when you think you know something, that is a most perfect barrier against learning?"
Serkanner
Administrator

Post by Serkanner »

Dravition wrote:A tangent for this thread: would somebody care to explain the significance of Sheanna's sculpture, 'the void', and why it has the effect it does on Odrade?
It must be the part that Frank didn't explain about the sculpture.
"... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

“There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
and wrote a Dune Novel."
D Pope

Post by D Pope »

I think Odrade was frightened by the raw creativity she saw in The Void. It was something beyond her, you know those BG types, gotta have a grip on everything.
Now that I think about it, it does make a nice placemarker on seachilds abilities.
-Omphalos
Dravition

Post by Dravition »

D Pope wrote:I think Odrade was frightened by the raw creativity she saw in The Void. It was something beyond her, you know those BG types, gotta have a grip on everything.
Awesome. Thanks :)
Leto smiled. "Duncan, have I not told you that when you think you know something, that is a most perfect barrier against learning?"