Dune Roleplay

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

Setzer

Dune Roleplay

Post by Setzer »

I think a forum like this would benefit from a Roleplaying thread. We could create our own Great Houses, and intrigue, assassinate, and backstab our filthy black guts out. Anyone interested?
A Thing of Eternity

Re: Dune Roleplay

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

There's some members on here I know are into that stuff, for me it's just never really appealed - but I'm sure you could get a few people in on it and just get a thread or few started in the Ghafla subforum!
Lundse

Post by Lundse »

A Thing of Eternity wrote:There's some members on here I know are into that stuff, for me it's just never really appealed - but I'm sure you could get a few people in on it and just get a thread or few started in the Ghafla subforum!
As one of the members "into that roleplaying stuff", I am afraid I must say play-by-mail/post has never interested me. But I am gearing up to play a game heavily inspired by Dune with my friends around the table, just now...
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

If there's enough interest we could start a forum for role play but someone would have to volunteer to moderate it.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

While you bicker about 'rules' House Ampoliros has raided your spice hoards and kidnapped your impressionable daughters.
Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
Robspierre

Post by Robspierre »

Ampoliros wrote:While you bicker about 'rules' House Ampoliros has raided your spice hoards and kidnapped your impressionable daughters.
Said daughters have already been impregnated by House Robspierre :whistle:

Rob
Tleszer

Post by Tleszer »

Robspierre wrote:
Ampoliros wrote:While you bicker about 'rules' House Ampoliros has raided your spice hoards and kidnapped your impressionable daughters.

Rob
Perhaps, but they still swoon over the green tushie.
DUNE, as interpreted by a blue man with a green tushie
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

Tleszer wrote:
Robspierre wrote:

Rob
Perhaps, but they still swoon over the green tushie.
I've blinded them with a Stone Burner and ruined all shipments of Tleilaxu eyes so they won't know the color of your tushie. I also convinced House Robspierre's Suk doctor to give him a vasectomy before said impregnation. He's shootin' blanks!

Happy Memorial Day Suckers!
"If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

Happy Memorial Day everyone! -James C. Harwood

"Three of my videos have over 100 views."
"Over 500 views for my 'Open Question' video." -Nebiros
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Do I need to get that +5 vorpal weapon again?

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
Setzer

Post by Setzer »

Well, I was working on a system for a Fallout political RP that I could adapt to this. After all, it is inspired by the Houses of the Landsraad RPG. Basically, you start with several categories, with each running the scale from one to 6. 3 is the default rating in each category, with 6 free points to spend however you like.
The categories are:

Warfare: the House's military power.
Defense: defensive and security capabilities
Espionage: intelligence and covert ops capability
Influence: The House's sway on the diplomatic front
Territory: the extent and production of all House holdings.
Treasury: The house's money and economic clout.

Of course this is just a very, very rough version. I'm sure we can fine tune things if there's more interest.
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

Dune is a fantastic universe to RP in and forum-based games can work really well.

Mechanics is the thing though, especially in a Houses of the Landsraad type game. On the one hand you need to reflect the complexity of the Dune Universe, but if you do that, your brain will melt and players will get bogged down with mathematics... but simplify too much and subtle tactics cease to exist. Things like espionage - what can you discover about your enemies, if players actually have secrets (strategically placed assassins or standardised manoeuvre 'cards') how are they divulged? - If you have a GM how do you stop him going mental?

But there are ways around these problems (player-run High Council and an Emperor too engrossed in his wine and women to unbalance things etc), it can work and it is fun. (Although I'm not sure I can be arsed with anything too involved right now :))

Brilliantly played Duke Nekhrun, celebrate well with the fine bottle of Caladan fizz...

...chaumurky no extra cost. :twisted:
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -
JustSomeGuy

Post by JustSomeGuy »

House Guy is lurking on the fringes, waiting...
I bring nothing to the table.
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

JustSomeGuy wrote:House Guy is lurking on the fringes, waiting...
...to get stabbed in the back. Which happened, just hours before he was to have a "suck your own blood back in a knife wound and stand up healed" lesson.

That's a shame.
"If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

Setzer

Post by Setzer »

Well, I've never moderated a forum before, and I'm pretty sure if I volunteered, the response would be that I haven't been here long enough. But I could keep tabs on an RP thread.
JustSomeGuy

Post by JustSomeGuy »

Nekhrune wrote:
...to get stabbed in the back. Which happened, just hours before he was to have a "suck your own blood back in a knife wound and stand up healed" lesson.

That's a shame.
Arrggghhhhh!!!!!!! We're out of the game for now, but we won't forget this. Also, we're going to tell the Emperor on you.
I bring nothing to the table.
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

Well I did trade half the spice hoard to Nekrun so he would ignore my role in its theft, and I still have the no-preg daughters.

I sell half the stolen hoard and buy top of the line poison snoopers and give all my security guards raises. Then I hire a second Mentat.

Then I activate my "Dinner Party" ability.

That's right, you can only use diplomatic attacks and "Snide Comment" abilities! It lasts two full turns or until someone insults the Fremen Naib I invited.
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

Who invited the smelly sandy commoner? And why? We all know that his type will never amount to anything.

Oi, Bongo - is it true you chaps drink your own piss? Disgusting habit.
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

This is not what I think of when someone says "role play".

:snooty:
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Setzer

Post by Setzer »

Indeed. No true master of intrigue in the Duniverse would be so clumsy regarding their speech or insults. Unless you think the best you can hope for is to match the blithering fool who said "I've heard the Fremen scum drink the blood of their own dead!"
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

JustSomeGuy wrote:
Nekhrun wrote:

That's a shame.
Arrggghhhhh!!!!!!! We're out of the game for now, but we won't forget this. Also, we're going to tell the Emperor on you.
How will you do that when I had my spies break your phones?

DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

Setzer wrote:No true master of intrigue in the Duniverse would be so clumsy regarding their speech or insults. Unless you think the best you can hope for is to match the blithering fool who said "I've heard the Fremen scum drink the blood of their own dead!"
Bah! You've all gone soft! Within the vastness of the Duniverse there must be plenty of arrogant, clueless, foul-mouthed arseholes - especially within the higher echelons of society :wink:

(I'm far more worried about the earlier total disregard for the Dictum Familia :) )
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

Is that a crysknife in your back or are you just morphing into a sandworm?
Aurelius Boro-Ginjo

Post by Aurelius Boro-Ginjo »

Sounds interesting
Most discipline is hidden discipline, designed not to liberate but to limit.
Do not ask Why?
Be cautious with How?
Why? leads inexorably to paradox.
How? traps you in a universe of cause and effect.
Both deny the infinite.
Setzer

Post by Setzer »

Why not a Roleplay forum in general? We could RP great houses intriguing to become Emperor, a party of killers working in a war of assassins, or a bunch of larger, non-Dune related RPGs?
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

Aurelius Boro-Ginjo wrote:Sounds interesting
So does this.