Axlotl Tanks

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Mandy
Cat Herder

Post by Mandy »

Omphalos wrote:
Mandy wrote:Jacurutu has already been crashed, so going back to however registration was before would probably be a good idea.. even though I don't know what the big deal is, the tards will just have their asses handed to them here, without Byron around to delete the OH posts.
Freak stopped approving members months ago. I only go in to approve people when something goes wrong with the mail feature, so since page one or so of the members, they have all been self authenticating and have signed up without anyone's approval. T(A)U is still a different story, but Ill open it up on Monday, then lock it down again the Sunday after.
Oh yeah, forgot that he opened the registration up.
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

Hey, over on Wikipedia someone just added a link to this animal on the Axlotl tank page - kinda neat, pretty obviously where FH got the name from. I think in the Pandora saga he actually calls them Axolotl tanks.

Maybe other people have seen this before but I'd never heard of them, fish with regenerating abilities. This seems to hint that he may have originally only been thinking of Gholas and the tanks as a way to repair dead bodies, and may not have had cloning in mind at all until later in the series.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Axolotl
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

I don't theenk they are feesh, señor....

(With FantaPop unable to post, someone has to pick up the Sp...anish end. :P )
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
A Thing of Eternity

SandChigger wrote:I don't theenk they are feesh, señor....
Oh man, I'm red in the face now. :oops: I meant to say salamander... maybe I need another pot of coffee.
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

I don't think the spam has been bad, I've only caught a handfull.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
A Thing of Eternity

Freakzilla wrote:I don't think the spam has been bad, I've only caught a handfull.
It's been pretty minimal.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Si, but deese damn feeshy salaMANders, dey are a reel problema! :shock:

Oh Meester Freakzeela, do SOMEting, por favor!

:lol:
Rakis

Post by Rakis »

SandChigger wrote:Si, but deese damn feeshy salaMANders, dey are a reel problema! :shock:

Oh Meester Freakzeela, do SOMEting, por favor!

:lol:
:twisted:

You read like a mix of mexican and Jar Jar... :)
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Oh! Much is grassy ass! :P
Mandy
Cat Herder

Post by Mandy »

A Thing of Eternity wrote:Hey, over on Wikipedia someone just added a link to this animal on the Axlotl tank page - kinda neat, pretty obviously where FH got the name from. I think in the Pandora saga he actually calls them Axolotl tanks.

Maybe other people have seen this before but I'd never heard of them, fish with regenerating abilities. This seems to hint that he may have originally only been thinking of Gholas and the tanks as a way to repair dead bodies, and may not have had cloning in mind at all until later in the series.

Didn't he call them axolotl tanks a couple times in Dune? I thought I remembered the spelling change at some point. Maybe it's just a discussion of the word I'm remembering.
Rakis

Post by Rakis »

Mandy wrote:
A Thing of Eternity wrote:Hey, over on Wikipedia someone just added a link to this animal on the Axlotl tank page - kinda neat, pretty obviously where FH got the name from. I think in the Pandora saga he actually calls them Axolotl tanks.

Didn't he call them axolotl tanks a couple times in Dune? I thought I remembered the spelling change at some point. Maybe it's just a discussion of the word I'm remembering.
"No Face Dancer," Edric said. "A Face Dancer risks exposure under prolonged surveillance. No; let us assume that our wise Sardaukar commander had Idaho's corpse preserved for the axolotl tanks." DUNE MESSIAH

Alia shuddered. There could be only one answer: this was a Tleilaxu ghola, a being reconstructed from the dead flesh of the original. That original had perished saving Paul. This could only be a product of the axolotl tanks." DUNE MESSIAH
JustSomeGuy

Re: Axlotl Tanks

Post by JustSomeGuy »

axolotl (ăk'səlŏt'əl), a salamander, Siredon mexicanum, found in certain lakes in the region of Mexico City, which reaches reproductive maturity without losing its larval characteristics.
I bring nothing to the table.
JustSomeGuy

Post by JustSomeGuy »

Axolotl
as with other words derived from Nahuatl, the “x” is pronounced as “sh”: roughly “Asholotl” instead of “Aksolotl”

Nahuatl atl 'water' + xolotl 'spirit'
Nahuatl, from atl water + xolotl servant, doll, toy
Nahuatl, from atl "water" + xolotl "slippery or wrinkled one, servant, slave"
May be incorrectly translated to �Water-Dog� or water monster

Twin brother of the Aztec god Quetzalcoatl.
Xolotl, the Twin, the Shapeshifter, Venus as the Evening Star, the Lord of the West, Double of Quetzalcoatl.
Xolotl is the dog-like deity, often depicted with ragged ears. He is identified with sickness and physical deformity. As a double of Quetzalcoatl, he carries his conch-like ehecailacacozcatl or wind jewel.
Xolotl accompanied Quetzalcoatl to Mictlan, Land of the Death or the underworld, to retrieve the bones from those who inhabited the previous world (Nahui Atl) to create new life for the present world, Nahui Ollin, the sun of movement. In a sense, this re-creation of life is reacted every night when Xolotl guides the sun through the underworld.
In the tonalpohualli, Xolotl rules over day Ollin (movement) and over trecena 1-Cozcacuauhtli (vulture).

Axolotls are believed to be the living disciples of Xolotl.
Lead lost souls in their journey

One of the Urban dictionary definitions:
3. axolotl
A common phrase used to say goodbye to friends, similar to "see you later!" (Pronuciation: Ox-ul-LOT-tle)
Hey Fred, it was nice talking to you ... I gotta go ... AXOLOTL!
JustSomeGuy

Post by JustSomeGuy »

I should have referenced all the places where I got this information from, but I didn't.
A Thing of Eternity

The key thing here is that the axolotl has the ability to regenerate limbs - when FH was first writing about the tanks it was to repair dead bodies. I remember the first time I learned about those salamanders, I was just starting to grasp how much FH used words to imply things.

Also, I typo'd at the time calling it a fish, no clue why I wrote that, I knew damned well it wasn't a fish... which resulted in years of Sandchigger making fun of me by constantly making reference to his initial response, something about "erm, I don't think it's a feesh man!"! :lol:

And I still occasionally remind him I'm not a member the Black Panthers. :wink:
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

(I steel say you reek of feesh, man. :P )
SadisticCynic

Post by SadisticCynic »

Curiously, if you inject an axolotl with iodine it will develop into a fully mature salamander. Something to do with a lack of thyroxin I believe.
Ah English, the language where pretty much any word can have any meaning! - A Thing of Eternity
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Even curiouser, if you inject Thing with ink just under the skin, he will preen and flex and ask for more. :shock:
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

SandChigger wrote:Even curiouser, if you inject Thing with ink just under the skin, he will preen and flex and ask for more. :shock:
Eyes also, I think.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Yeah, but she's kinky. :?