A Dance With Dragons - SPOILER ALERT!!!

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

Ampoliros

Re: A Dance With Dragons - SPOILER ALERT!!!

Post by Ampoliros »

Yeah, some Frey's go missing on his watch, then he shows up to the wedding with some big "pork" pies.

And to top it off he asks the entertainment to play the Rat Cook song, which was basically a Sweeny Todd song.
Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
JustSomeGuy

Post by JustSomeGuy »

SadisticCynic wrote:Jaime is turning into a really interesting character I think.
I'm really starting to like that character. Losing his hand has got him tripping on one o' them voyages of self-discovery. I think he'll turn out alright, if he's not killed early on in the next book.
I bring nothing to the table.
Spicelon

Post by Spicelon »

A Thing of Eternity wrote:
SadisticCynic wrote:I knew it was the thing with Jon that was messing with you. I totally didn't see that one coming. But I also recall that Lady Melisandre is a Red Priestess, kinda like Thoros of Myr... :wink:
True, true... seems to be pretty effective necromancy too, you don't even end up like a zombie, you're just alive again.
Actually, I think the thing with Thoros is that eventually he had to be resurrected in a new body, aka Catelyn.
Poop is funny.
MetaCugel8262 is not.
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

Spicelon wrote:
SadisticCynic wrote:I knew it was the thing with Jon that was messing with you. I totally didn't see that one coming. But I also recall that Lady Melisandre is a Red Priestess, kinda like Thoros of Myr... :wink:
True, true... seems to be pretty effective necromancy too, you don't even end up like a zombie, you're just alive again.
Actually, I think the thing with Thoros is that eventually he had to be resurrected in a new body, aka Catelyn.
Not following you here, who are you saying got resurrected into Catelyn's body? He resurrected Dondarrion several times, just plain old back to life, and Catelyn is still Catelyn as far as I know.
A Thing of Eternity

Oh, I totally didn't put it together that he baked up some Frey for them, weird.

Cersie, we'll see. She was showing signs of being distinctly not broken in those last chapters, and some people are like that, you push them and push them and they get weaker and weaker, but then instead of finally breaking they snap back at you en-force.
Spicelon

Post by Spicelon »

Jon:
Jon will either join uncle Ben as a benevolent white walker, is really dead, OR...slips into Ghost's skin. I don't buy Jon as a Targaryn at all. Everything we've seen and read of the Targaryn's indicates they are a pretty dominant gene pool. Even if John is a cross between Stark and Targaryn, no way does he come out with Stark-like features.

All of the remaining Starks save for Sansa have displayed some form of Warglike ability. I believe that will eventually be a factor in all of their fates, therefore I DO see a future involving a Stark and a dragon. ;)

Daenerys:
Not happy. The arc in Slaver's Bay is good. Very good. I guess I just remember Dany as a lot more assertive and much less of a pussy than she appears in this book. I dunno tho, dragon riding went a long way to make me forget how pusillanimous she'd become. And which Dothraki was it that found her in the grass? And obviously the beeding isn't her moon blood, right? Right? Selmy is AWESOME. Love him dearly. I think of him the same way I think of Miles Teg.

Tyrion:
Still love him, although his arc seems to have floundered a bit as well. I mean, you just can't get rid of the guy. It's getting a little ridiculous some of the things he miraculously survives.

Stannis/Bolton/Frey:
I'm completely indifferent on Stannis and his fate. However, I DO VERY MUCH want to see Bolton et. al. die in away that even I can't fathom. I'm just not sure who martin is positioning to do this (assuming it will happen at all), maybe...

Arya:
Far away the best character of the series. Period. Even with as little as she appeared in this book, her determination and commitment set her head and shoulders above the rest. She is destined for some bad assery this world has never seen.

Man, so much to think about and digest. Did anybody keep the Free Companies and their allegiances straight? It hurt my head trying. That's all I have...FOR NOW.

4.3 out of 5.

:D
Poop is funny.
MetaCugel8262 is not.
Spicelon

Post by Spicelon »

Spicelon wrote:
Not following you here, who are you saying got resurrected into Catelyn's body? He resurrected Dondarrion several times, just plain old back to life, and Catelyn is still Catelyn as far as I know.
Oops confused Thoros and Dandarion. But yes, I am suggesting Cat really isn't Cat. I might need to consult ASoS.
Poop is funny.
MetaCugel8262 is not.
Spicelon

Post by Spicelon »

BTW, I have the first 5 books in an editable text format if anyone is interested.
Poop is funny.
MetaCugel8262 is not.
A Thing of Eternity

Spicelon wrote:Jon:
Jon will either join uncle Ben as a benevolent white walker, is really dead, OR...slips into Ghost's skin. I don't buy Jon as a Targaryn at all. Everything we've seen and read of the Targaryn's indicates they are a pretty dominant gene pool. Even if John is a cross between Stark and Targaryn, no way does he come out with Stark-like features.
See the whole dominant gene thing I agree with you on to a point, it depends how much Martin is using real genetics. The Rob's kids thing wouldn't have flown in real life, as dark haired people can easily have light haired kids, especially if one parent is light haired - but the characters don't know that.

I don't know with Jon though, yes the Targaryns seem to pretty much always look the way they do, but I'm not convinced that necessarily means much - and if he's not one, then who the hell is he? I'm pretty much dead sure he ain't Ned's.
All of the remaining Starks save for Sansa have displayed some form of Warglike ability. I believe that will eventually be a factor in all of their fates, therefore I DO see a future involving a Stark and a dragon. ;)
I do wonder where Sansa's story is going, can't wait to get back to that, because Little Finger is obviously up to some epic shit.
Daenerys:
Not happy. The arc in Slaver's Bay is good. Very good. I guess I just remember Dany as a lot more assertive and much less of a pussy than she appears in this book. I dunno tho, dragon riding went a long way to make me forget how pusillanimous she'd become. And which Dothraki was it that found her in the grass? And obviously the beeding isn't her moon blood, right? Right? Selmy is AWESOME. Love him dearly. I think of him the same way I think of Miles Teg.
I don't think she turned wussy, I think she grew up and wised up. Nobody in her situation could be decisive without being heartless to a major degree, and that's something she massively is not. I think she started out cocky, then saw how her mistakes could snowball into serious issues, and for a while became paralized by her fear of hurting people. Now I think she's getting over it. To me this is 100% realistic, she spent her whole life being controlled by her brother, when she was free of that she went way overboard, then paid the price and eventually learned from it.

Moon blood, agreed, something else seems to be up, could be nothing though. Dothraki, can't remember the name but I have a hunch because of something Martin said in an interview about a Dothraki that was killed off in the show but shouldn't have been because he plays a decent sized role later.
Tyrion:
Still love him, although his arc seems to have floundered a bit as well. I mean, you just can't get rid of the guy. It's getting a little ridiculous some of the things he miraculously survives.
Floundered a little, but I buy it all honestly, doesn't seem too crazily miraculous. He's a cockroach, he survives shit. He's screwed in the next book though, now that those dragons are loose.
Stannis/Bolton/Frey:
I'm completely indifferent on Stannis and his fate. However, I DO VERY MUCH want to see Bolton et. al. die in away that even I can't fathom. I'm just not sure who martin is positioning to do this (assuming it will happen at all), maybe...
I was so rev'd up for Jon and the other folks to go kick the shit out of him, then WHAM! Knives come out. Awesome chapter, really awesome.
Arya:
Far away the best character of the series. Period. Even with as little as she appeared in this book, her determination and commitment set her head and shoulders above the rest. She is destined for some bad assery this world has never seen.
She is really awesome, can't wait to see what her deal is.
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

Selmy is AWESOME. Love him dearly. I think of him the same way I think of Miles Teg.
If those two ever got together...

Teg/Selmy 2012!

I don't think Dany was wimping out, I agree with the snowball idea. She was skiing down a slope and now that she has stopped the avalanche is catching up.

It sounded like Dany was falling victim to the Pale Mare plague. Maybe her dragon blood is fighting it off. Or maybe while she was unconscious Drogon smelled dragonblood in heat and had his way with her.

Cersei is screwed, I don't see her regaining real power ever again. Kings Landing is about to erupt with the Tyrells', Lannister Bitch and the Warrior's Sons at each others throats. Varys saw to that.

It won't matter if Gregor...er Robert Strong wins the trial by combat. It matters more when his secret gets out and who finds it.

I was just starting to like the Tyrells and then Mace built that ridiculous Hand-throne. I see him ending stapled to it with spears.
A Thing of Eternity

Yeah, it's pretty much going to be obvious to everyone immediately who "Robert Strong" is, the question is whether anyone will have the guts to out him for who he is.

Selmy is awesome, loved getting to see some stuff from his POV.
Mandy
Cat Herder

Post by Mandy »

I was thinking Dany was having a miscarriage while I was reading that, but then nothing else was mentioned and I forgot about it. I know they never mentioned her being pregnant, but that much blood made me think it.
As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Hypatia approaches one.
Spicelon

Post by Spicelon »

Mandy wrote:I was thinking Dany was having a miscarriage while I was reading that, but then nothing else was mentioned and I forgot about it. I know they never mentioned her being pregnant, but that much blood made me think it.
That's what I thought too, but I read the last chapters really fast and thought maybe I missed something.
Poop is funny.
MetaCugel8262 is not.
A Thing of Eternity

That would make total sense, just a final confirmation that the curse was real.
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

I think my favorite scene in the whole of Season 1 was Barriston's "Fuck You, I Quit" scene.
SadisticCynic

Post by SadisticCynic »

Ampoliros wrote:I think my favorite scene in the whole of Season 1 was Barriston's "Fuck You, I Quit" scene.
Yes! That was epic. Love Selmy.

Another awesome moment is when you find out the old squire with a beard is him.
Ah English, the language where pretty much any word can have any meaning! - A Thing of Eternity
A Thing of Eternity

Ampoliros wrote:I think my favorite scene in the whole of Season 1 was Barriston's "Fuck You, I Quit" scene.
Yeah, that was great, way more bad assed in the book though!