global warming

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

A Little Galach

Re: global warming

Post by A Little Galach »

I think a ten-spot would hire a few dozen Chinese for you. Just look in your couch.
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

I don't think you wanna go stickin' your hand into sofa cushions around Freak's house ...
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

I actually made the oldest kid vacuum in there about a week ago. I think the item that suprised me most was a full sized bath towel.

:?
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Atlanta had it's first frost this past weekend. Average first frost is 10/25.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

I don't need none of that - I still got big tomatoes and cantaloupe on the vine ... and the anasazi beans are trying to get to a fifth
crop this year ... the smaller, weaker bindweed varieties have given up and seeded and are dying, but I've got one group of the giant
heavenly blues that are still putting out blooms the size of my hand ... all the legacy roses have been blooming again for about two
weeks, and the pink & red ones have all put out another notch of new growth ... oh, yeah, and I gots more sweet onions than we're
gonna be able to eat with the brisket & beans at Thanksgiving ...

we usually don't get a killing frost here til after Christmas, sometimes sooner - I usually have some kind of garden plants survive past
Thanksgiving, but not producing much ... it was a helluva year around here - mild wet winter last year, unusually wet spring, then that
week of rain in mid June and again in late July really grew some flora ... I managed to use the rain barrel water almost exclusively for
the garden plants ....

the kids @A&M say this winter will be above average warm and dry, so that will mean less wildflowers in the spring .... which is okay
with me, I damn near exhausted myself last spring running around the place trying to identify the 30+ varieties of wildflowers that
popped up, then watching them all closely and collecting seeds ... the explosion of yucca fruit was great, tho - I've literally got
55 gallon drums full of seed pods - 20 million yucca seeds? 50 million? no way to really know, I just know that in about three
years, the rocky ridge out towards the front of the home place is gonna be covered in nothing but yucca ...
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

This is the most amazing November I've ever seen. It's been actually HOT (well... hot for winter, around 20C) for the last week or so.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Al Gore Lets Loose In Aspen Institute Speech About Bull**** Anti Global-Warming Pseudo-Science

Speaking in Aspen last Thursday, former Vice President Al Gore warned of the impacts of global warming. In sharp contrast to previous appearances, however, Gore may have frothed at the mouth a bit when he told the Aspen Institute's 'Networks and Citizenship' panel not to believe those that dismiss global warming.

In a passionate rant, Gore says his opponents are a group of people, "washing back at you the same crap over and over and over again. There's no longer a shared reality ... It's no longer acceptable in mixed company -- meaning bipartisan company -- to use the goddamn word 'climate.'"

Gore continues,

"And some of the exact same people — I can go down a list of their names — are involved in this. And so what do they do? They pay pseudo scientists to pretend to be scientists to put out the message: ‘This climate thing, it’s nonsense. Man-made CO2 doesn’t trap heat. It may be volcanoes.’ Bullshit! ‘It may be sun spots.’ Bullshit! ‘It’s not getting warmer.’ Bullshit!"

:lol:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/08/0 ... 21721.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
~Pink Snowman
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Damn shame when he does stuff like that that erodes his credibiltiy. Damn shame.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

dang ... subtle sarcasm from Omphalos the Literalist ?

this kinda thing makes me like Al even more (not the his position, necessarily, but his passion,
that it's obvious he has finally come to terms with the fact that he will not be elected to any
office again, and is starting to not-give-a-fuck; the divorce was a big plus in my book ...
now, if he'd just grow the beard again ... and show up at the 150th Battles of Franklin &
Nashville dressed up as General Forrest ....)

and here's my current position on global-warming/climate-change:

basing alot of it on the Ozone Hole, which turns out to be a "half-truth",
a naturally occurring phenomenon which may or may not be dangerous,
but was blown all out of proportion by budget-seeking NASA scientists,
I'll agree with Al that "global-warming/climate-change" is now a
partisan code-word, in that it is used by "both" sides to further their
own agendas, and I'll also add that at this point, neither side seem
particularly interested in the actual Truth of the situation ...

of course, "global-warming" & "climate change" do represent two similar
but subtly different theories; but that's too goddamn subtle
for NewzMedia & Politicians & Activists & The Public ... you actually have
to start discuss just what the fuck you are arguing about if you go down
that road, and no-one wants that ....

(keeping in mind the way the NASAssholes manipulated the data on the O-hole)
it seems there is something going on with both the polar ice-caps (most likely
natural and possibly dangerous) and that the basic mix of atmospheric gases
are in flux (possibly natural, possibly due to Industrial Society CO2 emissions,
possibly dangerous) and that the planet is in some type of "transitory-state"
regarding world-wide "climate" (&etc)

drawing on my widely-circulated thesis-paper (under another assumed name/persona)
directed at angry white men who bitch and moan constantly about the "Federal Government"
Keeping Your Head Down: How to Survive the Federal Occupation Without Losing Your Fucking Mind
in which I remind angry white (Southern) men that the Secession of the Southern States was obviously
(1789) Constitutional, the Federal Invasion and War on the Confederacy illegal, and that no "peace treaty"
was ever signed, the "Federal Government" in Washington, DC, is not the legitimate government of the
11 States of the Southern Confederacy (or Missouri, Kentucky, or eastern Oklahoma, for that matter) and
therefore, the actions of this "Federal Government" are of no real concern to Southern Nationalists.
Keep you head down, evade the Occupying Forces, and most of all: quit worrying about it. Fuck 'em,
and live your life.

therefore: if "global-warming/climate-change" is natural phenomena, nothing can be done to "stop it";
ergo - quit fucking worrying about it.

if "global-warming/climate-change" is bad science, and not happening at all, and only now a "political football",
for damn sure quit fucking worrying about it.

if global-warming is in fact being caused by Industrial Society CO2 emissions, and here's where I put my
trademark twist on it, I believe that Human Beings are a part of the planets biological evolution; therefore,
I have to believe that Human Society is a part of that Evolution, including Industrial Society ... so if Modern
Humans and their machines are in fact altering the environment of the planet, that is also "Evolutionary";
ergo: quit fucking worrying about it ....
ImageImage

JustSomeGuy

Post by JustSomeGuy »

:clap:
I bring nothing to the table.
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

I listened to Alex Jones at work today (I wanted to hear his thoughts on our obviously NWO engineered riots) and he dropped into one rant that scientists at the Large Hadron Collider had confirmed that global warming is actually caused by space ions....

Guess that settles it. :?
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

I think he meant Ultra Space Ions.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
SadisticCynic

Post by SadisticCynic »

obviously NWO engineered riots
Wait, what?

Btw, did you see the news item with a lady that more or less said that since the police killed someone, it's ok for kids to loot shops? :crazy:

Now, stupidity like that puts me in a rioting mood...
Ah English, the language where pretty much any word can have any meaning! - A Thing of Eternity
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

Even though this should help wrap things up, I somehow doubt it will:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/ ... story.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

Happy Memorial Day everyone! -James C. Harwood

"Three of my videos have over 100 views."
"Over 500 views for my 'Open Question' video." -Nebiros
Apjak

Post by Apjak »

No self respecting scientist would ever say a finding "settled" anything.
I don't think the author should make the reader do that much work - Kevin J. Anderson
We think we've updated 'Dune' for a modern readership without dumbing it down.- Brian Herbert
There’s an unwritten compact between you and the reader. If someone enters a bookstore and sets down hard earned money(energy) for your book, you owe that person some entertainment and as much more as you can give. - Frank Herbert
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

They all say stuff like that all the time, scientists are human and are subject to human hyperbole. There's a reason you hear 2 of the greatest scientists of all time talking about "god" when they're atheists, people use language to express their emotional reactions as well as their rational ones.

Plus the issue was "settled" a good while ago anyways - settled until proven wrong anyways. At some point we have to consider our best knowledge to be true, or else we end up talking like a bunch of jackasses all the time saying shit like "to the best of my knowledge, this chair (we believe it is a chair, could just be our projected reality seeing a chair though) is green (we suspect "green" to be wavelengths ______ through ______ of what we suspect to be light) because it is theoretically reflecting only those green wavelengths (assuming such a thing as a wave exists) which in theory our eyes read and our brain interprets as this colour. But that's all just a theory at this point."

:wink:

That doesn't mean we don't keep trying to prove ourselves wrong, but we can't sit around doing nothing forever just because there's a possibility that we're wrong about something. There's a possibility my car doesn't really exist, but I still get in it and bloody drive!
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

Apjak wrote:No self respecting scientist would ever say a finding "settled" anything.
He's not a scientist, he's a journalist. And no self respecting opinion-piece writer would ever let that get in the way of a snappy divisive headline :P

I'm glad they did a good open study that addressed the concerns. Now all the world needs to do is work out a plan of action that doesn't boil down to us just giving money to those bastards entrenched at the top...
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -
Freakzilla

Past decade ties for world's hottest: UN agency

Post by Freakzilla »

Past decade ties for world's hottest: UN agency

By Marlowe Hood | AFP – 2 hrs 57 mins ago

..Thirteen of the warmest years recorded have occurred within the last decade and a half, proving that global warming is a reality, the UN's World Meteorological Organisation said on Tuesday.

The year 2011 caps a decade that ties the record as the hottest ever measured, the WMO said in a provisional report on climate trends and extreme weather events, unveiled at UN climate talks in Durban.

"Our science is solid and it proves unequivocally that the world is warming and that this warming is due to human activities," WMO Secretary-General Michel Jarraud said in a statement, adding that policy makers should take note of the findings.

"Concentrations of greenhouse gases in the atmosphere have reached new highs and are very rapidly approaching levels consistent with a 2 to 2.4 Celsius rise in average global temperatures."

Scientists believe that any rise above the 2.0 threshold could trigger far-reaching and irreversible changes over land and in the seas.

The 2002-2011 period equals 2001-2010 as the warmest decade since 1850, the report said.

2011 ranks as the 10th warmest year since 1850, when accurate measurements began.

This was true despite a cooling La Nina event -- one of the strongest in 60 years -- that developed in the tropical Pacific in the second half of 2010 and continued until May 2011.

The report noted that the cyclical climate phenomenon, which strikes every three to seven years, helped drive extreme weather events including drought in east Africa, islands in the equatorial Pacific and the southern United States.

While La Nina, and its meteorological cousin El Nino, are not caused by climate change, rising ocean temperatures caused by global warming may affect their intensity and frequency, scientists say.

Average surface temperatures over land were above long-term averages in most regions.

"There is no single country that has reported 2001-2010 mean temperatures that are colder than their national long-term average from 1961-1990," WMO Deputy Secretary General R.D.J. Lengoasa told journalists in Durban, citing a forthcoming review of weather trends over the last ten years.

For 95 percent of 80 countries that had submitted relevant data, 2001-2010 was the warmest decade on record, he added.

Forty percent had seen national heat records broken in 2001-2010, as compared to 15 percent in the 1991-2000 period, and 10 percent in the 1981-1990 period.

"Urgent action is needed to prevent the worst climate change scenarios in the coming decades," Lengoasa said.

Sea ice in the Arctic shrank to its second lowest surface area after 2007, and has reached record levels of thinness.

Extreme weather events in 2011 -- some influenced by La Nina -- hit regions unevenly.

In eastern Africa, where agriculture is almost entirely rain-fed, severe drought affected many countries, especially Kenya, Somalia and parts of Ethiopia.

Some 13 million people required emergency aid, according to the UN Office for Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA).

In East Asia, rainfall during the 2011 monsoon season was far above average, with Thailand and Laos most affected. Floods claimed nearly 1,000 lives across Thailand, Cambodia and Myanmar.

Fourteen weather-climate events in the United States each caused at least one billion dollars in losses.

In central and south America, rainfall exceeding 200 millimetres (eight inches) in a few hours left at least 900 dead in the mountains north of Rio de Janeiro, one of the deadliest natural disasters in Brazil's history.

For the second year in a row, Pakistan saw severe flooding, though more localised -- in the south -- than in 2010.

A separate report also released Tuesday showed that Pakistan, Guatemala and Colombia were the countries worst hit in 2010 by extreme weather events.

Over a 20-year span, Bangladesh, Myanmar and Honduras were shown to be most vulnerable to Nature's violent outbursts, said the report, by European NGO Germanwatch.

http://news.yahoo.com/past-decade-ties- ... 08368.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
~Pink Snowman