Dune Short Stories--Proposed Authors (A&D)

Image
    Abandon all sanity ye who enter here

Moderators: ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos, Freakzilla

User avatar
Jodorowsky's Acolyte
Posts: 370
Joined: 10 Jul 2010 10:55

Dune Short Stories--Proposed Authors (A&D)

Postby Jodorowsky's Acolyte » 09 Jun 2011 21:54

In Brian Herbert's personal Afterword for Dune: House Atreides, he talked about an attempt to set up an anthology of DUNE stories written by other sci-fi authors.

The trouble was, a fellow named Ed Kramer kept after me. An accomplished editor and sponsor of science fiction/fantasy conventions, he wanted to put together an anthology of short stories set in the Dune universe-- stories by different, well-known authors. He convinced me that it would be an interesting, significant project, and we talked about coediting it. All the details weren't finalized, since the project had a number of complexities, both legal and artistic.


I don't know which "different, well-known authors" Ed Kramer had in mind, or what was the actual cause for the project's complexities, but I wish the project was completed. While other Jacurutuans have sponsored the thread as to which authors are best suited to continue the franchise, I propose a list of authors, both alive and dead, who I would like to have seen write short stories for the Dune anthology.

Here they are, a list of authors acccompanied by what I think they would best write about from DUNE

William S. Burroughs -- explicit descriptions of Shai-Hulud biology, reproduction, and spice excretion; horrific, pornographic vignettes about Geidi Prime, the Harkonnens, and the Baron.

Stanislaw Lem -- cerebral exploration of the planet Arrakis' s atmosphere, ecology, orbit, and scientific history, from the point of view of an Imperial student of planetology.

Douglas Adams -- Humorous summaries and fables about Mua'dib's family and holy war.

Arthur C. Clarke -- stories ranging from the point of view of a spice harvester pilot, to a story about the tedious voyage which led to the discovery of Arrakis.

Robert Graves -- Account written by a member of House Atreides about it's private history, from the Butlerian Jihad to the time of Duke Leto.

Michael Crichton -- Cheap thrilling story about House conflict and Arakeen warfare, with political and ecological morals.

Christopher Tolkien -- Historical tale of the Zensunni wonderers, and the Fremen mythology surrounding Dune.

Robert A Heinlein -- Tales of water desire, planetary survival, and religious ecstasy among the early Zensunni inhabitants of Arrakis, and of Fremen water stealers centuries later.

William Gibson -- sparse stories about the psychology and experiences of the Guild Navigators, and the strainful effects of spice addiction and space travel.

Isaac Asimov -- Depicts a futuristic utopia on Arrakis, or, more likely, Chapterhouse, where the religions of the Orange Catholic Bible and Mua'Dib have been abolished, and where society's primary reliance is devotion to the worms and desert ecology.

That's about it.
'...all those who took part in the rise and fall of the Dune project learned how to fall one and one thousand times with savage obstinacy until learning how to stand. I remember my old father who, while dying happy, said to me: "My son, in my life, I triumphed because I learned how to fail."' -Alejandro Jodorowsky

User avatar
Redstar
Posts: 1184
Joined: 25 Feb 2009 04:13

Re: Dune Short Stories--Proposed Authors (A&D)

Postby Redstar » 10 Jun 2011 02:29

Jodorowsky's Acolyte wrote:Robert A Heinlein -- Tales of water desire, planetary survival, and religious ecstasy among the early Zensunni inhabitants of Arrakis, and of Fremen water stealers centuries later.

And lots of incest.

User avatar
Jodorowsky's Acolyte
Posts: 370
Joined: 10 Jul 2010 10:55

Re: Dune Short Stories--Proposed Authors (A&D)

Postby Jodorowsky's Acolyte » 12 Jun 2011 12:07

Redstar wrote:
Jodorowsky's Acolyte wrote:Robert A Heinlein -- Tales of water desire, planetary survival, and religious ecstasy among the early Zensunni inhabitants of Arrakis, and of Fremen water stealers centuries later.

And lots of incest.


Does that mean that Heinlein had incest in his science-fiction, or that the Zensunni Wanderers and the castout Fremen had to resort to incest in order to survive? I'll assume the latter.

Are there any other really good sci-fi/fantasy authors I don't know about who could write decent short stories set in the Dune Universe? (Independent from Brian and Kevin, that is).
'...all those who took part in the rise and fall of the Dune project learned how to fall one and one thousand times with savage obstinacy until learning how to stand. I remember my old father who, while dying happy, said to me: "My son, in my life, I triumphed because I learned how to fail."' -Alejandro Jodorowsky

User avatar
Robspierre
Posts: 2160
Joined: 19 Feb 2008 10:49
Location: Cascadia

Re: Dune Short Stories--Proposed Authors (A&D)

Postby Robspierre » 12 Jun 2011 19:51

Jodorowsky's Acolyte wrote:
Redstar wrote:
Jodorowsky's Acolyte wrote:Robert A Heinlein -- Tales of water desire, planetary survival, and religious ecstasy among the early Zensunni inhabitants of Arrakis, and of Fremen water stealers centuries later.

And lots of incest.


Does that mean that Heinlein had incest in his science-fiction, or that the Zensunni Wanderers and the castout Fremen had to resort to incest in order to survive? I'll assume the latter.

Are there any other really good sci-fi/fantasy authors I don't know about who could write decent short stories set in the Dune Universe? (Independent from Brian and Kevin, that is).


Heinlein in his later works used incest as part of his characters basically becoming gods and not being bound by the same rules, in particular sexual rules, as normal humans. In Time Enough For love, Lazarus Long has sex with two female clones of himself as well his mother after traveling back in time.

Rob

User avatar
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego
Posts: 18164
Joined: 05 Feb 2008 01:27
Location: Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Contact:

Re: Dune Short Stories--Proposed Authors (A&D)

Postby Freakzilla » 12 Jun 2011 19:57

If I have sex with my clone is that masturbation?
Image
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman

User avatar
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero
Posts: 14490
Joined: 08 Feb 2008 22:29
Location: "Whatcha having, shoog? Hurry up and order now, I ain't got all day!"
Contact:

Re: Dune Short Stories--Proposed Authors (A&D)

Postby SandChigger » 13 Jun 2011 08:36

Only if it's a male clone? :P

Jodorowsky's Acolyte wrote:Does that mean that Heinlein had incest in his science-fiction, or that the Zensunni Wanderers and the castout Fremen had to resort to incest in order to survive? I'll assume the latter.

:doh:

User avatar
Redstar
Posts: 1184
Joined: 25 Feb 2009 04:13

Re: Dune Short Stories--Proposed Authors (A&D)

Postby Redstar » 14 Jun 2011 17:03

Robspierre wrote:
Jodorowsky's Acolyte wrote:
Redstar wrote:
Jodorowsky's Acolyte wrote:Robert A Heinlein -- Tales of water desire, planetary survival, and religious ecstasy among the early Zensunni inhabitants of Arrakis, and of Fremen water stealers centuries later.

And lots of incest.

Does that mean that Heinlein had incest in his science-fiction, or that the Zensunni Wanderers and the castout Fremen had to resort to incest in order to survive? I'll assume the latter.

Are there any other really good sci-fi/fantasy authors I don't know about who could write decent short stories set in the Dune Universe? (Independent from Brian and Kevin, that is).

Heinlein in his later works used incest as part of his characters basically becoming gods and not being bound by the same rules, in particular sexual rules, as normal humans. In Time Enough For love, Lazarus Long has sex with two female clones of himself as well his mother after traveling back in time.

Basically the Heinlein themes I imagined/implied he would have inserted into the series, though they would have likely been realized in a very hamfisted, non-Dune way.

User avatar
Jodorowsky's Acolyte
Posts: 370
Joined: 10 Jul 2010 10:55

Re: Dune Short Stories--Proposed Authors (A&D)

Postby Jodorowsky's Acolyte » 16 Jun 2011 00:23

SandChigger wrote:Only if it's a male clone? :P

Jodorowsky's Acolyte wrote:Does that mean that Heinlein had incest in his science-fiction, or that the Zensunni Wanderers and the castout Fremen had to resort to incest in order to survive? I'll assume the latter.

:doh:


Come on, Sandchigger! I was trying to be respectful to Heinlein! I only read Stranger in a Strange Land, and not having read much of Heinlein's other works, I didn't know for sure. Actually, my first gut instinct was that Heinlein did incorporate incest in his science-fiction (Stranger in a Strange Land was wildly sexual enough to prove that he could do it), but then I logically considered that, in order for the small band of Zensunni wanderers to survive, they would have to inbreed. The same would probably go for the cast-out water stealers to ensure their own survival (and vengeance). Still, I admit I shouldn't have hastily written I assume the latter. I was setting myself up for a :doh: Thanks for the funny response, even though it was in reacton to my ineptitude. :D
'...all those who took part in the rise and fall of the Dune project learned how to fall one and one thousand times with savage obstinacy until learning how to stand. I remember my old father who, while dying happy, said to me: "My son, in my life, I triumphed because I learned how to fail."' -Alejandro Jodorowsky

User avatar
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero
Posts: 14490
Joined: 08 Feb 2008 22:29
Location: "Whatcha having, shoog? Hurry up and order now, I ain't got all day!"
Contact:

Re: Dune Short Stories--Proposed Authors (A&D)

Postby SandChigger » 16 Jun 2011 01:43

Yeah... I guess it was the assumption that hybrid Muslims would be cool with incest that did it. ;)

User avatar
SandRider
Watermaster
Posts: 6163
Joined: 05 Oct 2008 16:14
Location: In the back of your mind. Always.
Contact:

Re: Dune Short Stories--Proposed Authors (A&D)

Postby SandRider » 14 Jul 2011 23:33

Freakzilla wrote:If I have sex with my clone is that masturbation?



I dated some twins from Leadville, Colorado, who insisted that
playing with each other was masturbation ....
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008

User avatar
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero
Posts: 14490
Joined: 08 Feb 2008 22:29
Location: "Whatcha having, shoog? Hurry up and order now, I ain't got all day!"
Contact:

Re: Dune Short Stories--Proposed Authors (A&D)

Postby SandChigger » 15 Jul 2011 04:24

Were they blondes?
I have heard of only one mistake that doesn’t have an explanation for a careful reader...with an open mind. (And, no, I’m not going to tell you what it is!) —KJA

I don't like every writer's style; for instance, I have never been able to get through Ursula LeGuin, China Mieville, or Iain Banks, all of whom are critical darlings. —KJA

I...had written a bunch of Star Wars and X-Files books...that proved not just that I'm a hack, but that I could write in somebody else's universe... —KJA

User avatar
A Thing of Eternity
Posts: 6090
Joined: 08 Apr 2008 15:35
Location: Calgary Alberta

Re: Dune Short Stories--Proposed Authors (A&D)

Postby A Thing of Eternity » 15 Jul 2011 16:23

SandRider wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:If I have sex with my clone is that masturbation?



I dated some twins from Leadville, Colorado, who insisted that
playing with each other was masturbation ....


BS! Pics or it didn't happen!
Image


Return to “˲”