Hello

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

Nickg10191

Hello

Post by Nickg10191 »

Im pretty stoked I found this forum... Is the Dune Encyclopedia considered canon for the sake of discussion here? I'd really like to jump in some topics but I feel I need to know what is considered pertinent and what is not... Hopefully someone checks this section. Thanks
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Re: Hello

Post by Freakzilla »

Welcome!

Most of us do not consider the DE canon but find it very interesting.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Serkanner
Administrator

Post by Serkanner »

Welcome Home!
"... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

“There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
and wrote a Dune Novel."
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Achlan wasachlan! :D

(Not canon, but fun and more interesting and far better written and more intelligently than anything Kevin J. Anderson has shat forth from his facial anus and spatted a "DUNE" cover around! :twisted: )
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
Nickg10191

Post by Nickg10191 »

Thanks for the responses... I'm perfectly fine with keeping FH canon only...I look forward to jumping into some of the great threads I've found... So exciting to find a REAL Dune message board! As for right now the weather is too nice and the waves are too perfect to sit in front of a screen so I'm gonna go experience some real dunes, sand and sun :) peace
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

The DE is an example of a good way to add to the Duniverse, the new books are its exact opposite.

Welcome Welcome!
Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

Welcome! Those before me have pretty much summed it up, the DE is non-canon, but is viewed positively. It's written to be an "in universe document" too, so it doesn't really need to be "correct" about anything, as anything incorrect can just be explained as historical mistakes, missunderstandings, made up by the pretend writer, etc.
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Helloooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The DE matters more then that fan-fic crap.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

as long as someone does not confuse the ideas in the Dune Encyclopedia with the ideas of Frank's Dune,
and does not attempt to use material from the DE to argue a concept-point that is obviously not
what Frank wrote or meant, I would considered it "semi-canonical", in that Dr. McNelly states that the
work is meant to be taken as an in-universe encyclopedia, assembled from various sources
by various authors .... Frank gave it a nod, but then, he truly did love and respect McNelly (was possibly
amused by him, and I think flattered & satisfied with the ego-strokes McNelly gave him) and it's
more than possible that Frank did not ever read the whole thing thru (albeit unlikely) - at the time, I
don't think he gave it the serious thought and goings-over, as he was engaged in his own projects,
and I don't think he wanted to get bogged down in correcting or debating all the little detail points in
all the articles .... it was easier on him to smile at McNelly and get the thing published, with the
in-universe caveat ... an idea that obviously appealed to Frank, anyway, giving all the quotes and
excerpts from "in-universe" texts he used for the epigraphs and appendix ...

>> on the negative, McDune & Keith Bashing angle, tho, this is obviously the foundation of the
Irulan McGambit, which has evolved into the catch-all excuse for all McDune Contradictions ... (so, like
Frank himself leaving Chapterhouse with the Duncan and a Master with all the Genes of Dune in his pocket
in a no-ship, the Old Boys left the sharp knives laying around that the Kids eventually picked up and started
stabbing us with ...)

@nick - by weather & waves, I'll assume you are somewhere in SoCal, and while I am truly sorry for that,
I understand many, many people think they are happy and content there - I myself have some surfing way
back in my past, altho we rode what you kids would think were ironing boards ... I do understand that the
longboards have made something of a "comeback", in that it is a different skill-set required, and expansion
and innovation in any type of related sport is necessary ... (skateboarding, from downhill street cruises to
swimming pool runs & tricks, and the "park" courses ... snowboarding becoming Olympic with downhill courses
and pipe-riding) (anybody know if them kids's jumping boards off the big ski-jump ramps yet ?)

don't know if everyone else here are just hodads, or what .... Fremen get kinda freaked by large water;
altho, when I was in Saudi in the 70s, I took a single water-ski, ripped the skeg, and polished it with
Zog's ... it would take you headfirst down the slipface of a big-mover dune faster than you could scream ....

& the formalities:
Welcome. Your Water is Ours.
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

That's a good way of putting it:

In a discussion of DUNE, the DE actually matters: You can have a practical discussion of what it means to the Duniverse. The new books really only serve as an illustration of exactly what Frank meant about the power gathered by a charismatic hero falling into the wrong hands.
Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
Nickg10191

Post by Nickg10191 »

Longboards have indeed made a comeback on the west coast although they never went outta style in the East here where I am from...greetings from Virginia Beach, VA :)... Cally was a little too flakey for me back in the day so decided to stick with my roots and stayed here in the Southeast... I'm an Atriedes through and through so water doesn't bother me too much... I'm the only SF fan in my surf set over here though so I'm hoping this forum will let me express this other angle of my interests...we get inked pretty regularly out here and The Litany Against Fear is going on my right ribs...the only people who understand how cool this is my tattoo artist and my father lol
I guess I brought up the whole DE thing just because in some of the more hypothetical discussions such as the nature of Foldspace, Face Dancers etc the DE goes into more technical detail than the actual books... Not that I
mind using my imagination but I like technical details laid out
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Fair enough. :)
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

makes sense, longboards were devised for the small surf on the lee side; I rode one for the first time in 65 @Galveston,
three or four footers with a small breaker only every fourth or fifth one (surfkids down there & @Corpus pray for
hurricane swells, but ask the Little Baby Jesus to push the actual storm on into Lews'ana) ... did the Joe Cool summer
of seventy-two, hanging ten on Waikiki, and saw some fucking insane haoles falling down the face of 25 footers on
the north shore (and that was the small surf, yeah?)

the tat's a great idea, good location - a tip, tho: show us the pattern beforehand ... we've got a number of New Young
Pagan Barbarians here ... and the SandChigger, despite his fancy for pink shirts and stretchy pants*, is in fact the leading
academic expert on the languages of Frank Herbert's Dune, if you wanted something like that ... check out the Dune Art
forum here (add to it if you've found stuff that's not there)

*{sometimes. when he is a man. in his room. alone.}
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

Welcome :)
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -