Frank Herbert's Cease Fire - now becoming a short film

Moderators: Mr. Teg, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Re: Frank Herbert's Cease Fire - now becoming a short film

Post by Nekhrun »

Cease_Fire_2011 wrote:so we're now reaching out to the sci-fi community for support in succeeding in our last push to get the project finished. If you have a chance, please check out the teaser and the Kickstarter page here:
:yawn:
"If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

Happy Memorial Day everyone! -James C. Harwood

"Three of my videos have over 100 views."
"Over 500 views for my 'Open Question' video." -Nebiros
merkin muffley

Post by merkin muffley »

This film is being promoted by Suzie Wong.

It is an interesting strategy - simultaneously nutless and grandiose. The Wordpress blog has not been updated since January, and I'm not sure if that's a product of a grandiose arrogance, or a nutless passivity. It's a student film, yet they've made concessions to HLP, and have even agreed to shoot a character in a certain way ("make sure that any visuals of Hulser’s wife allude to her being pregnant"), which demonstrates an obvious nutless-ness, but also a delusional grandiosity, as if anyone is going to sue a student film. Indeed, it can be described as a nutless grandiosity.
Last edited by merkin muffley on 17 Apr 2011 10:35, edited 1 time in total.
"I must admit, you have an astonishingly good idea there, Doctor...."
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

:banana-dreads:
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

merkin muffley wrote:This film is being promoted by Suzie Wong.

It is an interesting strategy - simultaneously nutless and grandiose. The Wordpress blog has not been updated since January, and I'm not sure if that's a product of a grandiose arrogance, or a nutless passivity. It's a student film, yet they've made concessions to HLP, and have even agreed to shoot a character in a certain way ("make sure that any visuals of Hulser’s wife allude to her being pregnant"), which demonstrates an obvious nutless-ness, but also a delusional grandiosity, as if anyone is going to sue a student film. Indeed, it can be described as a nutless grandiosity.
Oh sorry, I didn't mean to suggest that I actually looked at the page earlier.

If this poster's passion for the film is reflected in his posts then I think we're looking at something less inspiring than waterworms.
"If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

Happy Memorial Day everyone! -James C. Harwood

"Three of my videos have over 100 views."
"Over 500 views for my 'Open Question' video." -Nebiros
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

merkin muffley wrote:It's a student film, yet they've made concessions to HLP ... which demonstrates an obvious nutless-ness, but also a delusional grandiosity, as if anyone is going to sue a student film.
Or, looking at it another way, it could just be a PR strategy. Based on the belief that "vetted by the HLP" still means something significant.

Hey, it'll look good on the resume. :dance:
merkin muffley

Post by merkin muffley »

SandChigger wrote:
merkin muffley wrote:It's a student film, yet they've made concessions to HLP ... which demonstrates an obvious nutless-ness, but also a delusional grandiosity, as if anyone is going to sue a student film.
Or, looking at it another way, it could just be a PR strategy. Based on the belief that "vetted by the HLP" still means something significant.

Hey, it'll look good on the resume. :dance:
Yeah, I'm sure that's the idea. Sounds like a lot of time is being spent on BS when the point should be to learn something from the experience. They're very excited to change the way they're shooting things because it's gotten them approval from a group of people who don't give a fuck (HLP), and it makes me extremely limp in the penis area.
"I must admit, you have an astonishingly good idea there, Doctor...."
ULFsurfer

Post by ULFsurfer »

Saw on Craiglist that they're looking for supporting cast. So if you're in the Denver area why not attend and make a difference!

http://denver.craigslist.org/tlg/2292298667.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Independent film shoot taking place in the Denver area the weekend of April 9th and 10th seeks supporting cast members.
I kinda think we missed that boat. ;)
Apjak

Post by Apjak »

Isn't KJA in the Denver area?
I don't think the author should make the reader do that much work - Kevin J. Anderson
We think we've updated 'Dune' for a modern readership without dumbing it down.- Brian Herbert
There’s an unwritten compact between you and the reader. If someone enters a bookstore and sets down hard earned money(energy) for your book, you owe that person some entertainment and as much more as you can give. - Frank Herbert
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Yes, except when he's avoiding the ole ball & chain.

Which seems to be more often than not.

But even then he's usually got his hole up in a fully furnished & modern local mountain cabin. ;)
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Just saw this on Twitter:
fh_cease_fire F.HerbertsCeaseFire
Beautiful weekend in Denver - open the windows, work on the film! #Denver #Dune #scifi #aftereffects getting to work!
12 hours ago
I thought this was a film made from a Frank Herbert short story. I didn't realize it has something to do with Dune... :think:

I can see why the filmmaker is getting along so well with the HLP: using the Dune name to promote unrelated projects is a cheap trick right up their alley!

Kudos! :clap: :clap: :clap:
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Did everyone notice that this guy has been taking donations for his film? And promising to send people who donate more than $25 a DVD of the finished film?

I guess he's still not profiting off it, and that's the only reason the HLP is just watching?

(Or more realistically, they simply haven't figured out [yet!] how to sue him for the immaterial benefit he's accruing from using the Frank Herbert name and having this thing on his CV. ;) )

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mor ... y-jacob-co" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
BACKERS

$580
PLEDGED OF $2,500 GOAL

DAYS TO GO

THIS PROJECT WILL ONLY BE FUNDED IF AT LEAST $2,500 IS PLEDGED BY MONDAY MAY 16, 2:39AM EDT.
Not looking too good, huh? :(
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

You know what? Fuck that guy if he can't scrape up $2,500 for his own goddam student film.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

I'm kinda confused... and admit I don't know a lot about how these things work. I thought the filming had been done already? So... wouldn't the time to raise money be before the filming and all that?

Anyway... I read the story recently. It was FH so it wasn't bad by any means, but the idea of the weapon is kinda silly when you get down to it. Meh. :shifty: