Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

redbugpest

Re: Jessica and Hawat

Post by redbugpest »

Omphalos wrote:
redbugpest wrote:
Idahopotato wrote:
Omphalos wrote:
Ampoliros wrote:Also, BG were very wary about when to reveal their abilities. Wanna would not use that way out in front of someone as dangerous as Baron Harkonnen.
Frank already established that "love" could compromise BG training and royal conditioning. The Harkkos could have gotten information out of Wanna.
This is actually a very good point. While those that completed either of the schools were conditioned above and beyond any other form of conditioning in the known universe, love was something that could be, and indeed often was, the wild card.
But Wanna was not protecting Yueh by staying alive. If she loved him that much, she would have sacrificed herself to make sure that they couldn't use him like that.
I think you missed my point. Love helped the Harkkos break the imperial conditioning. It could have helped them do the same with Wanna: Make her ignore her duty, make her forego killing herself under threat that if she did so YEuh was next. Obviously all bets are off.
I do understand about how it would work for breaking Yueh, but I think it is a stretch the other way. Wanna had the truth sayer ability, and would have been able to tell if they were making false threats.

"Yueh shrugged. Long ago, he had realized Jessica was not gifted with the full Truthsay as his Wanna had been."

Post by Apjak »

What would have been the false threat? They'd have meant it.
I don't think the author should make the reader do that much work - Kevin J. Anderson
We think we've updated 'Dune' for a modern readership without dumbing it down.- Brian Herbert
There’s an unwritten compact between you and the reader. If someone enters a bookstore and sets down hard earned money(energy) for your book, you owe that person some entertainment and as much more as you can give. - Frank Herbert
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

There is no ultimate truth, only what you believe to be true.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

Yeah... false threats about killing a mere doctor... from people who just captured a gods damned BG...

... I'm gonna let you think about that one. :wink: :roll:
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Piter and the Baron were always worried about what they would say to a truthsayer, I'm sure they had that covered.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Slugger

Post by Slugger »

inhuien

Post by inhuien »

The Barons strategy when dealing with the rigours of a Truthsayer always seemed to be one of plausible deniability ,he could truthfully report that he had no direct hand in or complete knowledge of what happened to Jessica/Paul/Wanna.

Apart from inaction I can't think of anyother way to defeat them.
SadisticCynic

Post by SadisticCynic »

inhuien wrote:The Barons strategy when dealing with the rigours of a Truthsayer always seemed to be one of plausible deniability ,he could truthfully report that he had no direct hand in or complete knowledge of what happened to Jessica/Paul/Wanna.

Apart from inaction I can't think of anyother way to defeat them.
Truthsay works on the other person's sincerity. If you could find a way to be sincere (as in, even down to the minutiae) you might be able to defeat them. However, I recall being shown a brain scan image of someone lying, and if this is true, that neurologically there is a difference between truth and falsehood, then it would be practically impossible to truly decieve one.
Ah English, the language where pretty much any word can have any meaning! - A Thing of Eternity
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

Well then if sincerity is the only issue hypnosis is the answer.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

inhuien wrote:Well then if sincerity is the only issue hypnosis is the answer.
Ghanima used it to convince herself Leto was dead.
~Pink Snowman
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

So she did, and there was me thinking I'd had an original thought. I have to reread CoD it's been more than 15 years if it a day since my last read. :oops:
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

Alright, this is the 4th post of yours I've read, starting with ones that were clearly not attempts to be on topic, just spam, and now this is the second one where it actually sounds like someone who's READ Dune talking about Dune, not just a spammer repeating a few phases from earlier in the thread, trying not to get their posts deleted. But again, spam links.

Please explain what is going on here, do you have some kind of horrible virus in your computer that turns all your internet posts into spam? :?
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

Viral Tourette's?