Hello Everyone

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

JustSomeGuy

Hello Everyone

Post by JustSomeGuy »

Hey there,

I found this site through a blog called HairyTicksofDune, or something like that- SandChigger. I like what I've read there, and have found that I also enjoy this site. I just finished reading some other posts (Frank Herbert LP: Sandworms of Dune and Frank Herbert LP: the Battles of Dune) and man, it's all coming back to me. That man was gifted. I mean- whoa. I feel like it might be time to revisit the Dune series. I also read the first Dune parody entry and man, was it funny! If only the new Dune novels had been more like that. Well, not really, although it was a step up from what kja and bh have been writing. Well that's about it for this entry. Please excuse my writing if it's not perfect. I tend to obsess and, even so, nothing is ever good enough. Oh well. Later.
I bring nothing to the table.
Serkanner
Administrator

Re: Hello Everyone

Post by Serkanner »

Welcome Home!
"... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

“There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
and wrote a Dune Novel."
Tleszer

Post by Tleszer »

Welcome! :orcs-buttshake:
DUNE, as interpreted by a blue man with a green tushie
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

hihihi JustSomeGuy :), btw do you also post as SomeBody'sBaby? :P
merkin muffley

Post by merkin muffley »

WELCOME!
"I must admit, you have an astonishingly good idea there, Doctor...."
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

welcome.
"If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

Happy Memorial Day everyone! -James C. Harwood

"Three of my videos have over 100 views."
"Over 500 views for my 'Open Question' video." -Nebiros
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Achlan wasachlan! Welcome, doubly welcome! :)
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Helloooooooooo!!!!!!

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

Welcome!
Alpha Carinae

Post by Alpha Carinae »

Hi there :)
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

Welcome :)
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -
JustSomeGuy

Post by JustSomeGuy »

Thank you all for taking the time to say hello!

inhuien: I am not SomeBody'sBaby. The only other Dune site where I've posted is HairyTicksofDune. I liked the site there so much that I felt compelled to write something, which turned out to be the case here also. I'm not much of a writer (it took me such a long time to write this message) and so I usually stick to reading.

On that note, I look forward to reading whatever it is you folks feel like writing. It's been interesting so far.

See ya. :)
Eyes High
Patience Personified

Post by Eyes High »

Welcome.
What fear is there in the night?
Nothing, but that which is in our own imaginations.
lotek

Post by lotek »

welcome to the Cast Out !
Spice is the worm's gonads.
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

JustSomeGuy wrote:Thank you all for taking the time to say hello!

inhuien: I am not SomeBody'sBaby. The only other Dune site where I've posted is HairyTicksofDune. I liked the site there so much that I felt compelled to write something, which turned out to be the case here also. I'm not much of a writer (it took me such a long time to write this message) and so I usually stick to reading.

On that note, I look forward to reading whatever it is you folks feel like writing. It's been interesting so far.

See ya. :)
And I thank you for doing so, :)
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

In the 'Re: A BG Scytale Ghola?' thread, JustSomeGuy wrote:
What's with the upside down question marks? Not familiar with that particular punctuation mark.
I have trouble hearing the questions over the noise of the unnecessary inverted question mark.
Please don't hold this against me. I'm not going to stop. I mean, I know it causes clutter sometimes, but if I left one out then I would feel uncomfortable. I would keep thinking about it and wouldn't be able to sleep well at night.
OK...

So it's not just an affectation, but involves psychological, identity issues. I'm assuming you were joking about the not being able to sleep at night... but if you weren't, you really should talk to someone about it.

Convention lies at the heart of language, and that's true of both its primary spoken and secondary written forms. Any violation of those conventions places an onus on the listener/reader: they have to expend more effort to understand the message, even if it's something as simple as ignoring the distraction of a meaningless punctuation mark in a text. (Meaningless in English, meaningful in Spanish, in this case.)

I wasn't really that bothered by this little habit of yours until a post yesterday when the reversed question marks seemed to reach a critical mass ... something I evidently wasn't alone in noticing. I'm not saying stop... just be aware that it's distracting people from what you're trying to say and could lead to them minimalizing and eventually ignoring you altogether. That would be unfortunate and rather sad.
Robspierre

Post by Robspierre »

SandChigger wrote:
In the 'Re: A BG Scytale Ghola?' thread, JustSomeGuy wrote:
What's with the upside down question marks? Not familiar with that particular punctuation mark.
I have trouble hearing the questions over the noise of the unnecessary inverted question mark.
Please don't hold this against me. I'm not going to stop. I mean, I know it causes clutter sometimes, but if I left one out then I would feel uncomfortable. I would keep thinking about it and wouldn't be able to sleep well at night.
OK...

So it's not just an affectation, but involves psychological, identity issues. I'm assuming you were joking about the not being able to sleep at night... but if you weren't, you really should talk to someone about it.

Convention lies at the heart of language, and that's true of both its primary spoken and secondary written forms. Any violation of those conventions places an onus on the listener/reader: they have to expend more effort to understand the message, even if it's something as simple as ignoring the distraction of a meaningless punctuation mark in a text. (Meaningless in English, meaningful in Spanish, in this case.)

I wasn't really that bothered by this little habit of yours until a post yesterday when the reversed question marks seemed to reach a critical mass ... something I evidently wasn't alone in noticing. I'm not saying stop... just be aware that it's distracting people from what you're trying to say and could lead to them minimalizing and eventually ignoring you altogether. That would be unfortunate and rather sad.
What Chig said. I'm use to it because I work with students for are Spanish speakers first so I am use to seeing it. With English being the dominant language hear, the expected grammatical conventions, not a word chigger!, are English.

Rob
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Back when I was in law school I used to put an inverted question mark like that at the beginning of a sentence in my classroom notes to indicate to myself that I'd damn well better get the question that followed answered in my head before I got asked the question on a test later. IOW, to signify an important question that occurred to me in class or as I was making notes. Still do it, actually, as I review claims or read cases.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
JustSomeGuy

Post by JustSomeGuy »

I thought I'd check back before going to sleep. Didn't expect this response. Maybe I should have. I mean, even I have thought: Am I overdoing it? See what I did there? No inverted question mark. It's not such a big deal, really. I'll get over it.

I really do like this site. Mostly I'm just here to read. Every now and then I might feel like throwing in my two cents or just asking a question. I'll do away with the inverted question marks for everyone's sake. That I promise. I can't promise to make any worthwhile contributions or even to just ask intelligent questions or even to spell/write correctly. I'm just some guy who's here to read about Dune stuff. Well, I'm off to other threads. See ya.
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

Now that was relatively painless, wasn't it?
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman