Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Chapter 64

Post by Freakzilla »

As with so many other religions, Muad'Dib's Golden Elixir of Life degenerated
into external wizardry. Its mystical signs became mere symbols for deeper
psychological processes, and those processes, of course, ran wild. What they
needed was a living god, and they didn't have one, a situation which Muad'Dib's
son has corrected.

-Saying attributed to Lu Tung-pin, (Lu, The Guest of the Cavern)

For hours Leto sits on the Lion throne accepting homage and gifts from the delegates of the Fremen tribes, promising them peace. As a demonstration of his power the week before, he had walked through fire, been attacked with knives, withstood acids, eaten poisons, stood in the path of a worm and toppled a Guild frigate. Jessica watches from the spyhole behind the throne and is not surprised the twins outmaneuvered The Sisterhood, they had more Reverend Mothers in Other Memory than were alive in the Empire. She feels bitterness at the Sisterhood for the fear upon fear installed in Alia, and the twins finding two ways out of possession made it that much worse. Alia’s water was poured on the sand. Leto has Paul’s water in a giant canopic jar next to his throne and Farad’n sits beside it as Royal Scribe. Stilgar is the last Naib in ceremony and he has nothing to offer but the headband worn by Ghanima when he took her into the desert to protect her. Leto understands the hard times and offers Stilgar anything from the piles of gifts around the throne, but he refuses. Stilgar claims Paul’s water as belonging to his tribe but Leto says it’s his tribe too. Leto calls Farad’n before him and asks for his Sardaukar. He explains how he has not really escaped possession but he is a community of inner lives dominated by Harum, that he will marry Ghanima instead but Farad’n must mate with her to continue the Atreides dynasty and the Bene Gesserit breeding program which is now Leto’s. Farad’n thinks this a high price for his Sardaukar and says he will resist Leto’s enforced peace. Leto says this is why he chose him, he renames Farad’n as Harq al-Ada meaning Breaking of the Habit. Leto leaves and Ghanima tells Farad’n that one of them had to accept the agony, but Leto was always the stronger.

The End
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
trang

Re: Chapter 63

Post by trang »

Finally finished the reread, and rediscovered just how much is layed out in these last pages. Very powerful lead into GEoD. I still don't understand the need for the Saudaukar mixing with the Fremen, if I interpreted that right. He wanted them to intermix, not just be joined fighting force.

Was it that the Fremen had lost their edge and Leto thought the Saudaukar would bring it back? so this interim force would be strong enough to break down the rebel factions until he arrives at the fishspeakers?

Another question that keeps popping up is about the breeding program. Leto says he is taking over the Bene Gesserit program. Their focus was breeding multiple "Human" lines to achieve the Male Reverend or Kwisatz Haderach? His is to breed the Atreides dynasty, which is completely different.

Is Atreides a blood line or a concept at this juncture? Paul was Corrino, Harkonen, and his father's line. Leto II and Ghanima were there fathers father's line, Harkonen, Corrino, and Half-Fremen (Liet Kynes plus his Fremen wife). The mix continues when you ponder where the Fremen stem from.

You take all that and then add back in the Half-blooded Corrino Farad'n (Wensica, daughter of Shadam and who ever she spawned with, which line would that be?) with Ghanima for the future. They're offspring, truly Atreides? the blood line is so washed at this point.

The first child from Ghanima/Farad'n is Corrino, Harkonen, Fremen, Atreides, and a few unknowns. This is pretty convoluted moving forward. I know its not part of this chapter but It sure makes me wonder when you get to GEoD, and bring Duncan's Ghola's into the fold. Duncan was not a bloodline Atreides. His blood origins are unknown (im not gonna bring up the twit books) and Duncan figures into the future breeding for sure.

Atreides a concept or bloodline at this point? The impact to the Imperium? well since its already been written by FH not a whole hell of a lot, just a discussion point.

Also haven't seen Freak post in while is he on vacation?
"Long Live the Fighters", "Dragon.....the other white meat."

Aquila ka-Hecate

Post by Aquila ka-Hecate »

The way it comes across to me, Leto and the BG have the same end in mind - the 'parenting' of the human race into maturity.

So I wouldn't say that the 2 breeding programs weren't so different in aim, at all.

I also understood that House Atreides was, at this point, and perhaps for years before this point, a set of ethics, and yes, a concept more than an actual bloodline. This is the only thing which makes the continual resurrection of Idaho sensible, in a way. And also that he provides an earlier copy of human DNA of course.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Right, the KH project was just one aspect of the BG breeding program. And even though it had been underway for "ninety generations" (according to Paul in Dune), that's only around 4000 years, or less than half the time the BG had been in existence. They were all about preserving the human and separating it from the animal.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

trang wrote:Finally finished the reread, and rediscovered just how much is layed out in these last pages. Very powerful lead into GEoD. I still don't understand the need for the Saudaukar mixing with the Fremen, if I interpreted that right. He wanted them to intermix, not just be joined fighting force.

Was it that the Fremen had lost their edge and Leto thought the Saudaukar would bring it back? so this interim force would be strong enough to break down the rebel factions until he arrives at the fishspeakers?
Leto was about to inherit an empire in a state of civil war. Not only between Imperial and Desert Fremen, but Imperial House Atreides and it's allies against House Corrino and theirs. Leto could reunite the Fremen and probably just barely defeat the Sardaukar but this would have left him with a sorry force to beat the rest of his empire down the Golden Path.
Another question that keeps popping up is about the breeding program. Leto says he is taking over the Bene Gesserit program. Their focus was breeding multiple "Human" lines to achieve the Male Reverend or Kwisatz Haderach? His is to breed the Atreides dynasty, which is completely different.

Is Atreides a blood line or a concept at this juncture? Paul was Corrino, Harkonen, and his father's line. Leto II and Ghanima were there fathers father's line, Harkonen, Corrino, and Half-Fremen (Liet Kynes plus his Fremen wife). The mix continues when you ponder where the Fremen stem from.

You take all that and then add back in the Half-blooded Corrino Farad'n (Wensica, daughter of Shadam and who ever she spawned with, which line would that be?) with Ghanima for the future. They're offspring, truly Atreides? the blood line is so washed at this point.

The first child from Ghanima/Farad'n is Corrino, Harkonen, Fremen, Atreides, and a few unknowns. This is pretty convoluted moving forward. I know its not part of this chapter but It sure makes me wonder when you get to GEoD, and bring Duncan's Ghola's into the fold. Duncan was not a bloodline Atreides. His blood origins are unknown (im not gonna bring up the twit books) and Duncan figures into the future breeding for sure.

Atreides a concept or bloodline at this point? The impact to the Imperium? well since its already been written by FH not a whole hell of a lot, just a discussion point.

Also haven't seen Freak post in while is he on vacation?
Kind of a vacation... :wink:

I cant really answer your breeding program question without spoiling GEoD and the following books for that matter. I'd be happy to PM about it or discuss it under the latter books.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Freakzilla

Re: Chapter 64

Post by Freakzilla »

Revised, clean.
~Pink Snowman