Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Chapter 55

Post by Freakzilla »

Fremen were the first humans to develop a conscious/unconscious symbology
through which to experience the movements and relationships of their planetary
system. They were the first people anywhere to express climate in terms of a
semi-mathematic language whose written symbols embody (and internalize) the
external relationships. The language itself was part of the system it described.
Its written form carried the shape of what it described. The intimate local
knowledge of what was available to support life was implicit in this
development. One can measure the extent of this language/system interaction by
the fact that Fremen accepted themselves as foraging and browsing animals.

-The Story of Liet-Kynes by Harq al-Ada

Duncan has been up all night with Stilgar trying to convince him to flee with Ghanima. Duncan wants to sends a message to Jessica but Stigar refuses, Sietch Tabr is neutral. Duncan insists that Alia must face the Trial of Possession. Javid walks in and Duncan stabs him in the chest to “silence the rumors”. Stilgar is furious, Duncan tells him he wears a collar and has sold Fremen for water, he turns his back on Stilgar and says that his descendants will not carry his blood. Duncan starts to leave to find Jacurutu but Stilgar stops him in the corridor, turns him around and tells him to draw his knife. Idaho slaps him in the face with both hands, Stilgar stabs him in the heart throught the abdomen while Duncan smiles. He looks at the dead bodies and realizes that Alia will have to publicly act in revenge, even if she privately approves. He realizes this is exactly what Idaho bought with his second death for the Atreides. Harah walks in and stares in shock, Stilgar tells her to send men to call worms, those that want to go with him and Ghanima into the desert need to pack now. Harah asks if Ghani will be taken as hostage but he tells her if Idaho was right, he is her only hope. He recalls Leto's warning, beware Alia, take Ghani and flee.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Freakzilla

Re: Chapter 55

Post by Freakzilla »

Revised
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
OberstBK

Post by OberstBK »

Hello all.
Long-time lurker, first time poster, really appreciate all the chapter breakdowns. Good work!

Anyway, I just wanted to find your common consensus about this quote from this chapter:
"Two Deaths for the Atreides, the second for no better reason than the first". As in, does Duncan count this as his second death for the Atreides, or does he factor Javid's into the larger scheme of things he had to employ to trigger Stilgar (Javid's death + his death = 2 deaths for the Atreides)?

Thank you, cheers, and Shail Hulud be praised!
georgiedenbro

Post by georgiedenbro »

Hi OberskBK!

My interpretation of it is that Duncan died twice for the Atreides, on both occasions just to buy time and protect others. Javid did die, but I don't think his death was any more "for the Atreides" than any of the other people Duncan would have killed who were enemies of the family. "For the Atreides" sounds to me like something given out of loyalty.
"um-m-m-ah-h-h-hm-m-m-m!"
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

OberstBK wrote: 19 May 2023 16:23 Long-time lurker, first time poster, really appreciate all the chapter breakdowns. Good work
Thanks, it took a while!
~Pink Snowman