Chapter 52

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Chapter 52

Post by Freakzilla »

The spirit of Muad'Dib is more than words, more than the letter of the Law which
arises in his name. Muad'Dib must always be that inner outrage against the
complacently powerful, against the charlatans and the dogmatic fanatics. It is
that inner outrage which must have its say because Muad'Dib taught us one thing
above all others: that humans can endure only in a fraternity of social justice.

-The Fedaykin Compact

As Sabiha makes coffee and spice gruel for Leto in the hut, he thinks about the threads of the future available to him. If kills her one vision is shattered, if he tells her Muriz’s plan that will shatter another, if he sits here and waits for his father this one becomes a rope. This time, Muriz has taken his stillsuit to prevent him from escaping. Leto refuses to eat the spice gruel because his body is saturated with spice and goes outside to sit by the qanat at the mouth of the nearby canyon. He notices sandtrout are all around him, migrating to the water. As seen in his vision of the Golden Path, he reaches out and touches one and it covers his hand like a glove, more and more attach themselves to him and become a single membrane, covering his body completely except for his face and ears, a living stillsuit. He uses his ancestral Bene Gesserit knowledge to adjust his body’s enzyme balance to form a symbiosis with the sandtrout. He tries to get to his feet and finds that his muscles are greatly amplified by the new skin and takes some time to get used to it. He finds that the captive worm in the canyon won’t touch him. Sabiha witnesses this in shock as he climbs out of the canyon onto the top of the butte. There a ‘thopter lands near him and he bounds down the face of the butte and across the desert leaving his pursuers in the dust. He decides that tomorrow he will begin destroying qanats and will set the ecological transformation back a generation, which will give them time to rework the plans. The rebel Fremen tribes will be blamed and Alia will have her hands full. Ahead lay the trap in Time and Space which had been prepared as an unforgettable lesson for himself and all of mankind. Soon he will meet with his father and only one vision will remain.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Dune Nerd

Post by Dune Nerd »

I have a question about this chapter, more specifically about Sabiha. What is the deal with Leto's reference to her visions in the spice orgy?

I guess that he is implying that she is some sort of catalyst for his own visions? Does anyone have a clearer understanding of this portion of the story?
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Dune Nerd wrote:I have a question about this chapter, more specifically about Sabiha. What is the deal with Leto's reference to her visions in the spice orgy?

I guess that he is implying that she is some sort of catalyst for his own visions? Does anyone have a clearer understanding of this portion of the story?
The Fremen experience a kind of mass prescience durring the spice orgies. Herbert talks more about that in the previous two books, I believe.

See in Dune Messiah, when Paul is walking through arrakeen on his way to Otheym's house, I believe.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Freakzilla

Re: Chapter 52

Post by Freakzilla »

Revised, clean.
~Pink Snowman