Chapter 49

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Chapter 49

Post by Freakzilla »

What you of the CHOAM directorate seem unable to understand is that you seldom
find real loyalties in commerce. When did you last hear of a clerk giving his
life for the company? Perhaps your deficiency rests in the false assumption that
you can order men to think and cooperate. This has been a failure of everything
from religions to general staffs throughout history. General staffs have a long
record of destroying their own nations. As to religions, I recommend a rereading
of Thomas Aquinas. As to you of CHOAM, what nonsense you believe! Men must want
to do things out of their own innermost drives. People, not commercial
organizations or chains of command, are what make great civilizations work.
Every civilization depends upon the quality of the individuals it produces. If
you over-organize humans, over-legalize them, suppress their urge to greatness -
- they cannot work and their civilization collapses.

-A letter to CHOAM, Attributed to The Preacher

Leto eases out of the trance but feels the same, he wishes he could remain in the eternal now but he must make bold choices to change the future. He tunnels out with the sand compaction tool into the moonlit night, collapses the tent and repacks the fremkit. He goes to sip from his catchtube and it’s dry. He inspects his stilsuit to find the heelpumps cut and repairs it. Half his body’s water is gone but luckily he has the catch from the stilltent. Here is an unexpected danger of a visioinless future. He calls a worm, mounts it and heads south. During the ride Leto tries not to think of the sacrifice he must make for the Golden Path and thinks of the things he must do to keep his personalities from dividing. He must always look for the new threads of his vision. He approaches a butte and finds renegade Fremen mining spice. This is a thread he must break, dangerous as a lure to him. He points the worm the opposite direction and releases it as the spotter ‘thopter heads towards him. A man gets out and greets him as Muriz, the judge of the band of spice hunters. Leto tells him that he knows they were of Shuloch, cast out from Jacurutu and Muriz draws his Maula pistol on him. Leto tells him he is the son of Paul-Muad’dib then gets him in a hold at crysknife point and says that without him Dune will become green and all the worms will die. Muriz still doubts, Leto tells him he came to this exact place to meet him and his father. Leto makes him bite his hand and swallow his blood, now he has to offend the tribe for Muriz to kill him. He releases him and they leave.
Last edited by Freakzilla on 09 Jul 2008 08:03, edited 1 time in total.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Re: Chapter 49

Post by Freakzilla »

Revised, cleaned.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman