Chapter 30

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Chapter 30

Post by Freakzilla »

In all major socializing forces you will find an underlying movement to gain and
maintain power through the use of words. From witch doctor to priest to
bureaucrat it is all the same. A governed populace must be conditioned to accept
power-words as actual things, to confuse the symbolized system with the tangible
universe. In the maintenance of such a power structure, certain symbols are kept
out of the reach of common understanding -- symbols such as those dealing with
economic manipulation or those which define the local interpretation of sanity.
Symbol-secrecy of this form leads to the development of fragmented sublanguages,
each being a signal that its users are accumulating some form of
power. With this insight into a power process, our Imperial Security Force must
be ever alert to the formation of sub-languages.

-Lecture to the Arrakeen War College by, The Princess Irulan

Farad'n interrogates Jessica and Duncan who are bound to their chairs by shigawire. He's received news from Arrakis that Leto was killed by the tigers and Ghani is being held hostage by Alia, who has agreed to submit to the Trial of Possession but his sources doubt it will happen. Desert Fremen have been fighting a civil war with Imperial Fremen, Sietch Tabr is now neutral ground. Wensicia brings Farad'n a message from the Bene Gesserit Counsil for the Landsraad, formally protesting the assassination of Leto II, and the matter shall be sent before the Internal Security Commision of the Landsraad. Farad'n admits that he had no knowledge of the assasination until after the fact. Jessica secretly hopes the twins' plan works and Gurney can intercept Leto at Jacurutu to test him, they will have to deal with Ghani later. Jessica offers to announce publicly that she went to House Corrino of her own free will as Farad'n's teacher to get to get him off the hook, but she demands free run of Salusa Secundus and Farad'n must marry Ghanima. He must also banish Wensicia for assasinating Leto. Duncan slits his wrists on the shigawaire. Farad'n agrees to Jessica's offer.
Freakzilla

Re: Chapter 30

Post by Freakzilla »

Revised
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
ibnshamwow34

Post by ibnshamwow34 »

Did I miss something? Why did Duncan purposely stab himself on the wire?
"Vengeance. Justice. Fire and Blood." :angry-fire:
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

ibnshamwow34 wrote:Did I miss something? Why did Duncan purposely stab himself on the wire?
I don't think he liked the direction House Atreides was going.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
stilgarr

Post by stilgarr »

Am I the only one that kinda likes Farad'n? It seems to me that he just is born into being the next leader of house corrino and doesn't really want it. He much rather would be studying or reading a book. The fact that he didn't like the tiger attack on the twins makes him more likeable to me. I must say though, I was confused with Duncan in this chapter. Why did he cut his wrist? What is he seeking?
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

stilgarr wrote: 15 Apr 2022 15:14 Why did he cut his wrist? What is he seeking?
Duncan?
Freakzilla wrote: 02 Nov 2021 12:46
ibnshamwow34 wrote:Did I miss something? Why did Duncan purposely stab himself on the wire?
I don't think he liked the direction House Atreides was going.
~Pink Snowman
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Hayt
~Pink Snowman
georgiedenbro

Post by georgiedenbro »

stilgarr wrote: 15 Apr 2022 15:14 I must say though, I was confused with Duncan in this chapter. Why did he cut his wrist? What is he seeking?
I had to read the chapter pretty carefully to see what was going on there. Jessica accuses Farad'n of playing dumb when he suggests he thought Duncan was trying to kill himself. Here's what I think was actually happening: Duncan had twice tried to chime in, and Jessica ordered him to be quiet. But I think cutting his artery on the wire was his way of stepping into the conversation once more without speaking. He knew that the Corrinos would rush to tend to his wound and that there was no real danger, which supports Jessica's observation that Farad'n was playing dumb. I believe that what Duncan was communicating through this action was that Farad'n already knew very well he was going to accept Jessica's offer, and there it would be totally illogical to kill the two of them and side with Alia. Therefore by demonstrating immediately that they were not going to allow him to die he made it clear that everyone was already aware which choice Farad'n would make and that he was just playing games with them at that point. Granted, this action wasn't really necessary and was an overly dramatic way of just saying to get on with it already, which I think is why Jessica remarks that Duncan always had some foolishness in him. I think he wanted the proceeding sped up because it was too painful to keep hearing talk about Alia.
"um-m-m-ah-h-h-hm-m-m-m!"