Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Chapter 23

Post by Freakzilla »

This is the fallacy of power: ultimately it is effective only in an absolute, a
limited universe. But the basic lesson of our relativistic universe is that
things change. Any power must always meet a greater power. Paul Muad'Dib taught
this lesson to the Sardaukar on the Plains of Arrakeen. His descendants have yet
to learn the lesson for themselves
-The Preacher at Arrakeen

Jessica and Alia are conducting the morning audience from two identical thrones with Alia on the right, masculine position. The first supplicant is a troubadour who had been robbed and left nothing but his clothing and baliset. Alia gives the first judgement to Jessica who asks him if he plays well. He claims to be as good as Gurney Halleck. He is begging for transportation money and Jessica asks where he wants to go, to which he replies, Farad'n's Court. Jessica decides that if she enjoys his music she will keep him at he Atreides Court, if she is offended, she will send him into the desert to toil for his passage money, if she deems him just right for Farad'n she will send him there. He agrees and sings a song mocking the Atreides and calls Alia the "female death spirit who walks without feet". Alia is offended but Jessica says he's just repeating what can be heard on the streets. Jessica says his tounge cuts like a crystnife and he's perfect for Farad'n, which elicits laughter from the court. The second supplicant is a Fremen Naib and former Fedaykin who claims to be there on a matter of the desert. As a priest emerges from the mob yelling for them not to listen to the man because he came under false pretenses, Jessica notices Alia flash the handsign for "now!" and she dodges left, throne and all, rolling away just in time to hear two shots from a Maula pistol. She dove into the throng of supplicants and notices Alia didn't even flinch. It was the priest who had the pistol and the supplicants were holding him. The Fremen chops him in the throat and he drowns in his own blood on the floor. Jessica orders him saved for questioning. Someone kills him anyway. Jessica tells the Naib that the attack was on her, not him and he vows that the tribes will hear of this. Everyone realizes it was a conspiracy and Alia was in on it. They go back to the audience and the Fedaykin Naib says he has come to see Jessica and when Alia interupts she tells her to be silent and calls her "murderous abomination" and blames Alia for the attempt on her life. Alia goes pale and begins tapping her fingers in the manner of the dead Baron, which Jessica recognizes. The Naib claims that the sandtrout come out of the sand, that the sandworms are becoming scarce and there has been rain. Jessica understands, no worm, no spice. Alia calls it superstition and fear of the ecological transformation and claims they only do what Kynes and Paul designed. Jessica accuses Alia of attempting to destroy spice production and calls her evil. Alia confesses to Jessica in Chekobsa that she confided in the Baron's persona when confronted with all her ancestral memories and calls her a bitch. Jessica makes her way through the crowd calling for Fedaykin to follow. There were six in the room, five make it out alive behind her.
reverendmotherQ.

Re: Chapter 23

Post by reverendmotherQ. »

This chapter is an excellent example of how beautifully subtle Herbert is at crafting intrigue in action and utilizing the precepts of his own concepts in the BG training to reveal character motives while outlining this ever present need for adaptation in a universe where the only constant is change. Alia's descent into the Baron's control over her is a primary variable where the reader witnesses the self destruction inherent to a resistance to change. Lady Jessica may have been caught up in such a personal conflict with change during her years spent mourning and trying to reconstruct her barrings on planet Caladan. But true in the Atriedes embodiment of what it means to embrace the waves of change and ride them out to their course she doesn't deny truth when its laid directly in front of her. Leto set her up for this, hoping that she would understand this need for surrender to the universe's nature as an ever-altering creature in time to help save the Atreides family from the bowels of decadence and decay. Of course, our Lady delivered, right on time.
Not_Your_Friend

Post by Not_Your_Friend »

This is definitely one of those shiver-inducing chapters. Wonderful stuff.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Revised, clean.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

"If you put away those who report accurately, you'll keep only those who
know what you want to hear," Jessica said, her voice sweet. "I can think of
nothing more poisonous than to rot in the stink of your own reflections."

One of my favorite quotes.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
ibnshamwow34

Post by ibnshamwow34 »

This chapter was amazing. I like how they resumed the court as though nothing happend.

:D
"Vengeance. Justice. Fire and Blood." :angry-fire:
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

I love the way Jessica and Gurney return to kick ass and take names
~Pink Snowman