Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Chapter 07

Post by Freakzilla »

The Universe is God's. It is one thing, a wholeness against which all
separations may be identified. Transient life, even that self-aware and
reasoning life which we call sentient, holds only fragile trusteeship on any
portion of the wholeness.

-Commentaries from the C.E.T. (Commission of Ecumenical Translators)

Gurney is reporting to Jessica on the interrogation of the people they captured at the landing field. He says many of them were Alia's people. Also, some of them, when deeply drugged would say "Jacurutu" and die, supposedly a "conditioned heart stopper". Jessica tells him that she and the Duke thought the Jacurutu legend was based on fact. She orders him to seek Jacurutu through the smugglers. Gurney of course has already initiated this action. Gurney fears for Jessica's safety, Alia is her enemy and the priesthood belongs to her. Jessica notes the exception to that of Javid who she believes hates the Atreides even though he hides it well. She reassures him she will spend the night at Seitch Tabr, after her last meeting of the day with the Master of the Novitiates.
Freakzilla

Re: Chapter 07

Post by Freakzilla »

Revised, clean.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
georgiedenbro

Post by georgiedenbro »

Children of Dune wrote:"A conditioned heart-stopper?" Jessica's fingers asked. And she said: "Have
you released any of the captives?"
"A few, My Lady -- the more obvious culls." And his fingers darted: "We
suspect a heart-compulsion but are not yet certain. The autopsies aren't
completed. I thought you should know about this thing of Jacurutu, however, and
came immediately."
Could this be where Lynch got his heart-plug idea from?
Children of Dune wrote: "My Duke and I always thought Jacurutu an interesting legend probably based
on fact," Jessica's fingers said, and she ignored the usual tug of sorrow as she
spoke of her long-dead love.
I wonder about this quote. Leto and Jessica weren't really on Arrakis for very long before House Atreides fell. They "always thought" Jacurutu might have been based on fact? Initially they knew almost nothing about the Fremen, no less about their legends. Even if they learned things from Duncan over the months, how long into their stay on Arrakis would that have been and still count as having 'always' believed in that legend? Always isn't as long as it used to be...
"um-m-m-ah-h-h-hm-m-m-m!"
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

I imagine it could have been brought up to them by Gurney through his relationship with the Smugglers, as well. Two times could be always. :P
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman