Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Chapter 25

Post by Freakzilla »

Muad'Dib could indeed, see the Future, but you must understand the limits of
this power. Think of sight. You have eyes, yet cannot see without light. If you
are on the floor of a valley, you cannot see beyond your valley. Just so,
Muad'Dib could not always choose to look across the mysterious terrain. He tells
us that a single obscure decision of prophecy, perhaps the choice of one word
over another, could change the entire aspect of the future. He tells us "The
vision of time is broad, but when you pass through it, time becomes a narrow
door." And always, he fought the temptation to choose a clear, safe course,
warning "That path leads ever down into stagnation."

-from "Arrakis Awakening" by the Princess Irulan

Seeing the thopters pass overhead, Paul grabs Jessica and tells her to be still, but he soon recognizes by the manner of flight that it's Idaho. He emerges with Kynes and some Fremen. Paul asks about the jetflares and lasguns beyond the cliffs and as Duncan begins to tell him he left them a suprise, they are bathed in white light that etches their shadows into the rocks at their feet. Idaho throws them down into the basin below as the roar of an explosion goes over them. Idaho tells them he planted a large shield turned to full force back there, now they'll think twice about using lasguns again but it will draw attention. Fortunately, the Fremen have a temporary hiding place nearby. They are taken into one of the Imperial Botnical Testing Stations. Kynes thinks himself crazy for helping the Atreides. Paul recognizes it as one of the places his father wanted and Kynes askes him what he would use it for. Paul says he'd use it to make Arrakis fit for humans and Kynes realizes that's why he helps them. Kynes offers them spice coffee in his quarters and Paul signals for Idaho to post guard outside the door. Paul can tell by the air currents that there is a secret exit. Kynes says he's glad Paul shares his dream of making Arrakis habitable but all the Imperium sends is hatchetmen to mine the spice. A Fremen enters and tells Kynes that the field that masks their machinery has broken down and cannot be repaired quickly. Paul shows Kynes his ring and asks if he knows what it means, Kynes says that since his father is dead he's technically the Duke. Paul says he's a soldier of the imperium, technically a hatchetman. Kynes asks if he still feels this way even with Sardaukar standing over his father's dead body. Paul says he's still the legal authority here but Kynes says Arrakis has a way of determining it's own authority. Paul says he's an embarrasment to the imperium and plans to remain so until they chocke to death on it. Paul tells him that he plans to exploit the Fremen legends and asks for their help to provide him proof of the emperor's involvment and then he wil blackmail the emperor into marriage with one of his daughters and the throne. Once he's on the throne he could make Arrakis a paradise with a wave of his hand and offers this for Kynes' loyalty. Kynes says his loyalty is not for sale, Paul appologizes and offers Kynes his total loyalty. Kynes is impressed, no Harkonnen ever appologized. Paul has won Kynes' loyalty.

The door slams open, Paul jumps up for the door and sees Duncan fighting outside the door, his knives dripping blood, hands and swords hacking at his shield. Kynes joins Paul at the door and they force it shut and bolt it. Paul gets one last glimps of Duncan, blood pouring from a wound in his head. Jessica says those were Sardaukar in Harkonnen uniforms. Kynes heards them out through the secret exit and they seperate. Paul and Jessica are to follow a maze to a waiting thopter. Paul hesitates and notes that this in blind ground unseen in any of his prescient visions. He vows to himself never to fall into the prescient trap again. As they take off they see a sandstorm on the horizon and 'thopters chasing them, firing explosive shells at them fearing to use their lasguns since they might have shields. Rockets and projectiles are among the things Paul plans to give to the Fremen. They head towards the storm, the Harkonnen 'thopter climbs to avoid it but Paul dives into it. They've lost their persuers but Paul can't lift them out of the storm and they must ride it out.
Freakzilla

Re: Chapter 25

Post by Freakzilla »

Revised
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Please

I put a lot of time and work into this reading group, there's hundreds of other topics to post off-topic in.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

This is the reading group, Freak. Why don't you just go ahead and either delete this crud or cut the thread and move this part to the bad examples graveyard?

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

I was thinking of backtracking to the begining of Dune since I'm only half way through and cleaning up off-topic posts. You've convinced me.
~Pink Snowman
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Good. I think that's the way you should handle these threads. We tend to be a bit off topic ourselves usually, but some part of FH deserves whatever pure intent we are capable of mustering. This seems like the place.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Cleaned

I finally caught up with your suggestion!

:dance:
~Pink Snowman