Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Chapter 14

Post by Freakzilla »

"There is probably no more terrible instant of enlightenment than the one in
which you discover your father is a man--with human flesh."

-from "Collected Sayings of Muad'Dib" by the Princess Irulan

Duke Leto tells Paul he's going to ask him to do a hatefull thing. Paul has been reading a report on Fremen religion and the references to himself as Mahdi and Lisan-al-gaib disturb him. He remembers Reverend Mother Mohiam talking about the Kwisatz Haderach and his "terrible purpose" is stirred. Leto informs Paul that the Harkonnens are trying to make him distrust Jessica but he would rather distrust himself. Leto tells him about the note and not to tell his mother, he wants the Harkonnens to think they've succeded. Paul worries that he might give it away but Leto doesn't think they'll be watching him and if something happens to him, he can tell his mother the truth. Paul notes how tired the Duke is. Leto regrets not marrying Jessica and tells Paul that he's remained unmarried only for hopes allying with another Great House through marriage. Leto feels there is much opportunity for them here on Arrakis but wonders if it might have been better to have gone renegade. Leto points out that they've begun to use spice in making filmbase to keep flooding the locals with propaganda. Paul suggests he get some rest. Leto points out that the spice gives them some immunity to common poisons. Before Paul interupts, the Duke cuts him off, saying it's good to have someone to talk about these things with. Leto says they ruled with sea and air power on Caladan but on Arrakis they must use desert power. He tell Paul that if something happens to him he's not to go renegade but go guerilla. To hold Arrakis may cost them their self-respect. Paul sense futility and fatalism in his fathers words and is left feeling empty.
Idahopotato

Re: Chapter 14

Post by Idahopotato »

So is this a bit of foreshadowing or is it that perhaps Leto has a bit of prescience himself? What exactly is he getting at when he says "that honorable banner could come to mean many evil things"?
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

I think he's just imagining what Paul may have to do to hold Arrakis.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Harq al Ada

Post by Harq al Ada »

not prescience but well learned and experienced in politics and strategy. he knew why the Emperor sent him there (not because he liked him) and probably even thought that the Emperor might help the Harkonnen a little.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
nampigai

Post by nampigai »

knowing there is a trap, is the first step in avoiding it.
Do not be quick to reveal judgment. Hidden judgment is often more potent. It can guide reaction whose effects are felt only when too late to divert them.
- Bene Gesserit Advice to Postulants
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Updated
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Cleaned
~Pink Snowman