Chapter 06

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Chapter 06

Post by Freakzilla »

How do we approach the study of Muad'Dib's father? A man of surpassing warmth
and surprising coldness was the Duke Leto Atreides. Yet, many facts open the way
to this Duke: his abiding love for his Bene Gesserit lady; the dreams he held
for his son; the devotion with which men served him. You see him there -- a man
snared by Destiny, a lonely figure with his light dimmed behind the glory of his
son. Still, one must ask: What is the son but an extension of the father?

-from "Muad'Dib, Family Commentaries" by the Princess Irulan

Duke Leto enters the training room as his guards close and man the door. Paul remembers the Reverend Mother's warning that there was nothing that could be done to save his father and asks about the dangers of Arrakis. He admits to Paul it will be dangerous. They talk about CHOAM and how the fief of Arrakis comes with a company directorship which means more wealth and power for House Atreides. We learn that Leto is a leader in the Landsraad and that his enemies plan for spice production to fall under his rule making the Atreides less popular. He tells Paul that the Houses who have been stockpiling spice are likely their enemies. We learn of the emperor's Sardaukar soldier fanatics trained on his prison planet, Selusa Secundus, and how they compare to the Fremen. The Duke expects the Emperor to lend some of them to the Harkonnens to attack him. Duncan has been sent ahead to try to win the confidence of the Fremen. Paul realizes that the Fremen, if won over, could be every bit as effective as the Sardaukar. The Duke mentions that this will be the first time Paul has left Caladan which brings them to discuss the mysterious Spacing Guild with it's mutated navigators and their monopoly on space travel. Paul expresses his interest in seeing a Guild Navigator but the Duke warns him not to try. Paul wonders if they don't show themselves because they've mutated beyond being human. We also learn that Paul has been being trained as a mentat and must choose whether or not to continue the training. He chooses to continue.
Jedicro

Post by Jedicro »

I've read this book numerous times but I've never given much thought to it. Why exactly does the Emperor side with the Harkonnens and lend his Sardukar to fight the Atreides? It said they had a stockpile of melange, and that was what tipped em' off, but why in the first place?

Perhaps there's an answer later in teh book that I've missed because I wasn't looking for it.

Thanks
Seraphan

Post by Seraphan »

Duke Leto was extremely popular among the great houses, the emperor feared that he could rally them all against him. In the Emperor's eyes, Duke Leto was a rival to leadership.
"The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand." - Frank Herbert
“This tutoring is dialectical. Literature makes us better noticers of life; we get to practice on life itself; which in turn makes us better readers of detail in literature; which in turn makes us better readers of life. And so on and on.” - James Wood
Jedicro

Post by Jedicro »

Seraphan wrote:Duke Leto was extremely popular among the great houses, the emperor feared that he could rally them all against him. In the Emperor's eyes, Duke Leto was a rival to leadership.
K thanks! That's more or less what I deduced once I thought about it.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Jedicro wrote:I've read this book numerous times but I've never given much thought to it. Why exactly does the Emperor side with the Harkonnens and lend his Sardukar to fight the Atreides? It said they had a stockpile of melange, and that was what tipped em' off, but why in the first place?

Perhaps there's an answer later in teh book that I've missed because I wasn't looking for it.

Thanks
The big tip off was the Emperor taking the CHAOM directorship to mine the spice from the Harkonnens and giving it to House Atreides. The emperor's real power lies in his ability to appoint CHOAM directorships, not the Sardaukar. Everyone knew of the feud between the two houses and would not expect the Harkonnens to take this sitting down. The Atreides were small but growing strong and thought they would have time before the Harkonnens retaliated. Maybe they will even have time for Duncan, Thufir and Gurney to train a few legions of Fremen.

The stockpiling of spice tipped the Atreides off as to who was in on it.

The emperor's lending the Sardaukar had to remain a secret, if word got out the other Great Houses would rally against the Emperor.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Freakzilla

Re: Chapter 06

Post by Freakzilla »

Updated
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Freakzilla

Re: Chapter 06

Post by Freakzilla »

Cleaned
~Pink Snowman