Chapter 05

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Chapter 05

Post by Freakzilla »

YUEH (yu'e), Wellington (weling-tun), Stdrd 10,082-10,191; medical doctor of the
Suk School (grd Stdrd 10,112); md: Wanna Marcus, B.G. (Stdrd 10,092-10,186?);
chiefly noted as betrayer of Duke Leto Atreides. (Cf: Bibliography, Appendix VII
[Imperial Conditioning] and Betrayal, The.)

-from "Dictionary of Muad'Dib" by the Princess Irulan

Doctor Yueh comes to see Paul who's on the mesage table following the shield practice with Gurney in the training room. Yueh informs Paul that there's no time for their regular lesson and that the Duke will be in to see him any moment, which excited Paul. He hadn't seen much of his father since the order to move to Arrakis. Yueh feels a sense of waste looking at Paul but reminds himself that he's doing this to save his wife. They talk about the lessons for Paul durring the trip; the Fremen, the storms and the worms. Yueh gives Paul an antique Bible as a gift and looses control when Paul accidentally reads Yueh's wife's favorite passage. We learn from Yueh's thoughts that he is involved with the Harkonnens and they have done something with his wife.
Simon

Post by Simon »

Interesting how Yueh tries to ease his conscience with his religious gift. Though it isn't explicitly stated, he seems to not be an overtly religious sort.

I know he goes on in his head with the "he can go where I cannot" angle but that thought hit me as a weak hope rather than an expression of any firm belief.

(IMO) It demonstrates to the reader that he isn't an evil man, just another poor bastard trapped in the Harkonnen web.
Tyrant

Post by Tyrant »

he's a traitor...House Atreides is greater than him..greater than his wife ...greater than any one person (including Leto) ...hes a narc little bitch ... there is no excuse...none...fuckin traitor ...he gets what he deserves
Your friendly neighborhood Tyrant!!!
shintemaster

Post by shintemaster »

The way that Yueh is built as a traitor is actually one of the most impressive examples I've seen in literature. It's consistent HUMAN behaviour rather than consistent with what a 'character' in a story might do.
Freakzilla

Re: Chapter 05

Post by Freakzilla »

Updated.

Please, this is not the proper place to discuss the GP (I know they're old posts)

Note that Yueh plans several lessons for Paul durring the trip to Arrakis. This is a clue to the length of the trip (or speed of the Heighliner).
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Freakzilla

Re: Chapter 05

Post by Freakzilla »

Cleaned
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman