Chapter 04

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Chapter 04

Post by Freakzilla »

You have read that Muad'Dib had no playmates his own age on Caladan. The dangers
were too great. But Muad'Dib did have wonderful companion-teachers. There was
Gurney Halleck, the troubadour-warrior. You will sing some of Gurney's songs, as
you read along in this book. There was Thufir Hawat, the old Mentat Master of
Assassins, who struck fear even into the heart of the Padishah Emperor. There
were Duncan Idaho, the Swordmaster of the Ginaz; Dr. Wellington Yueh, a name
black in treachery but bright in knowledge; the Lady Jessica, who guided her son
in the Bene Gesserit Way, and -- of course -- the Duke Leto, whose qualities as
a father have long been overlooked.

-from "A Child's History of Muad'Dib" by the Princess Irulan

Thufir Hawat, feeling old and tired from his three generations of Atreides service, tries to sneak up on Paul in the training room, Pauls says he heard him coming and would know the difference if those sounds were immitated. Thufir believes him partly because of the deep BG training Jessica is giving Paul and wonders if they sent the old Proctor to whip Lady Jessica into line. He sits with Paul noting to himself how odd the room seems with most of its contents gone to Arrakis. He feels like the battered practice dummy looks. They talk of the move to Arrakis, the sand storms and why weather control doesn't work, the Fremen, stillsuits, and the scarcity of water.

Paul tells Thufir of his meeting with RM Mohiam and her warning that his Father is doomed and of the art of ruling. Mohiam also shared with Paul a great deal of detail about life on Arrakis. Thufir tries to give Paul hope and tells them that the Fremen might help them. Thufir leaves and Gurney Halleck enters. Gurney is Paul's favorite mentor and they joke around for a while before practicing shield fighting. As Paul practices on a training dummy, Gurney remembers his younger sister who was killed in a Harkonnen pleasure house.
Simon

Post by Simon »

Yet more great intros all around and more easy flowing exposition, I especially enjoyed the interplay between Paul and Gurney. I plan on having some real fun drawing this classic duel. 8)
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Simon wrote:Yet more great intros all around and more easy flowing exposition, I especially enjoyed the interplay between Paul and Gurney. I plan on having some real fun drawing this classic duel. 8)
It sure would be nice, when you get the whole novel done, to match your images up with my chapter summaries...
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Simon

Post by Simon »

8) good idea.
Freakzilla

Re: Chapter 04

Post by Freakzilla »

I've added a little detail to the summary.

Without trying to spoil anything, it is worth noting that Thufir Hawat seems to know a great deal more about the Bene Gesserit than he is portrayed to in the later chapter with Jessica.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Enno

Post by Enno »

This is also the chapter where Paul realises for the first time that it probably hurt when Gurney got the scar on his jaw. A pain as intense perhaps as that inflicted by a Reverend Mother. Is this supposed to bind the two together in the mind of the reader or is it only to show how the expirience with the box matured young Paul? Im leaning toward the latter as I think this is a small example of the pain amplifies perception- change nutures growth themes Frank Herbert used a lot.
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

Enno wrote:This is also the chapter where Paul realises for the first time that it probably hurt when Gurney got the scar on his jaw. A pain as intense perhaps as that inflicted by a Reverend Mother. Is this supposed to bind the two together in the mind of the reader or is it only to show how the expirience with the box matured young Paul? Im leaning toward the latter as I think this is a small example of the pain amplifies perception- change nutures growth themes Frank Herbert used a lot.
Frank did a lot of double themes, ideas with multiple meanings (often conflicting but both valid). In this case I see no reason it couldn't be both that you mentioned, both work - which FH intended only he knows, but I think both is a safe bet.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Clean
~Pink Snowman