Chapter 01

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

Laphtiya

Re: Chapter 01

Post by Laphtiya »

inhuien wrote:Didn't Reverend Mothers normally wear contacts when going abroad.
This is true and she may have been able to avoid spice addiction, remember that at this time the Sisterhood did not use the water of life to access OM or Truthsay. And how it was hinted that offworld foods on Arrakis tended to reverse/hold back the blue-in-blue effect on the eyes. But I had just assumed she would have used contact lenses as most do later on like Faradin in CoD
RedHeadKevin

Post by RedHeadKevin »

Here's a question that the later books made me wonder about: Was RM Mohaim the BG's Mother Superior? They always mentioned "Mother Superiors" after Heretics, but was there a Superior in 10,191, and was it Mohaim? She seemed to be one of the high muckety-mucks in the Bene Gesserit.
I don't recommend anyone drink their thigh pad water. It tastes really bad, like ass and dirt.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

There was a Mother Superior at the time of the Battle of Corrin, so it stands to reason there was one in 10191 as well. ;)
But here was a mission that required personal attention from a Bene Gesserit-with-the-Sight. Even the Padishah Emperor's Truthsayer couldn't evade that responsibility when the duty call came.
Mohiam was the Emperor's Truthsayer, so it seems doubtful to me that she could have served effectively as Mother Superior if she were posted to the Court. Plus note the "when the duty call came." Came from the Bene Gesserit upper echelons obviously, the real decision makers, no doubt including the Mother Superior? :)
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

SandChigger wrote:There was a Mother Superior at the time of the Battle of Corrin, so it stands to reason there was one in 10191 as well. ;)
But here was a mission that required personal attention from a Bene Gesserit-with-the-Sight. Even the Padishah Emperor's Truthsayer couldn't evade that responsibility when the duty call came.
Mohiam was the Emperor's Truthsayer, so it seems doubtful to me that she could have served effectively as Mother Superior if she were posted to the Court. Plus note the "when the duty call came." Came from the Bene Gesserit upper echelons obviously, the real decision makers, no doubt including the Mother Superior? :)
Nicely done, I was going to answer "I don't think she was, but I don't think there's much evidence either way" obviously I have much more to hammer into my memory!
RedHeadKevin

Post by RedHeadKevin »

Yep, I missed that too. Good catch there. Of course, I probably assumed that the "duty call" came from the Emperor. Now that I think more about it, that really doesn't make any sense.
I don't recommend anyone drink their thigh pad water. It tastes really bad, like ass and dirt.
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

Mohiam's job is told in one of the later chapters...
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Um, at least that was her job when Jessica underwent the gom jabbar, no?
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

SandChigger wrote:Um, at least that was her job when Jessica underwent the gom jabbar, no?
Yes, a pretty high up position in the BG, I'd imagine. She seems to be know at the time as being the emperor's truthsayer, I imagine she'd had that job for quite a while but that's just speculation.

Nothing else is mentioned about her role in the BG that I can recall.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
DarthRachel

Post by DarthRachel »

Hey guys! I'm new here. A few of the regulars found me thru Sandchigger because I've started a Dune re-read project on my blog. It was suggested to me that I link it here so here it is, Chapter 1. The rest of the book I'm doing in multiple chapter dumps.

http://scienceofdiscontent.blogspot.com ... art-1.html

Ok thanks! See everyone around!

-DarthRachel
lotek

Post by lotek »

wasn't Mohiam a big shot in the Breeding Program? I have this vague memory of it being mentionned somewhere(that not being enough I'll look for proof one way or another)
It would make sense that she was though, being the Emperor's Truthsayer is indeed a position of honour, but is that of any value in the eyes of the Sisterhood?
Plus the fact that they were a generation away from the KH(or so they thought), which was one of the most carefully guarded secret of the BG(yes among many others).
That would require a high level security clearance in that specific field, considering the "need to know" basis of the Sisterhood.
Spice is the worm's gonads.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

lotek wrote: It would make sense that she was though, being the Emperor's Truthsayer is indeed a position of honour, but is that of any value in the eyes of the Sisterhood?
The BGs primary business is politics. The breeding program was a means to that end.
~Pink Snowman
Apjak

Post by Apjak »

lotek wrote: Plus the fact that they were a generation away from the KH(or so they thought), which was one of the most carefully guarded secret of the BG(yes among many others).
That would require a high level security clearance in that specific field, considering the "need to know" basis of the Sisterhood.
I think that all Reverend Mothers were aware of the Kwisatz Haderach possibility, and only Reverend Mothers would be in the know in the BG breeding program. However Jessica seemed to know about it, and even "sensed the possibility" the she could bear it. How much she was deliberately told about the KH breeding program is up for speculation, given that she was almost certainly seen as a potential RM by the BG.
I don't think the author should make the reader do that much work - Kevin J. Anderson
We think we've updated 'Dune' for a modern readership without dumbing it down.- Brian Herbert
There’s an unwritten compact between you and the reader. If someone enters a bookstore and sets down hard earned money(energy) for your book, you owe that person some entertainment and as much more as you can give. - Frank Herbert
SadisticCynic

Post by SadisticCynic »

Gom Jabbar: the high-handed enemy; that specific poison needle tipped with meta-cyanide used by Bene Gesserit Proctors in the death-alternative test of human awareness.
Did anyone ever figure out what meta-cyanide might be?

Meta = beyond e.g. meta-physics = beyond nature.

:?:
Ah English, the language where pretty much any word can have any meaning! - A Thing of Eternity
merkin muffley

Post by merkin muffley »

SadisticCynic wrote:
Gom Jabbar: the high-handed enemy; that specific poison needle tipped with meta-cyanide used by Bene Gesserit Proctors in the death-alternative test of human awareness.

You wouldn't be able to kill a BG with cyanide, because they're able to convert poisons into a harmless form. So, is it because the Gom Jabbar could kill a BG, tipped with something "beyond cyanide?"
"I must admit, you have an astonishingly good idea there, Doctor...."
Apjak

Post by Apjak »

merkin muffley wrote:
SadisticCynic wrote:

You wouldn't be able to kill a BG with cyanide, because they're able to convert poisons into a harmless form. So, is it because the Gom Jabbar could kill a BG, tipped with something "beyond cyanide?"
I wonder if Meta-Cyanide was another of the "poisons" the BG had that they could use for "The Agony".
I don't think the author should make the reader do that much work - Kevin J. Anderson
We think we've updated 'Dune' for a modern readership without dumbing it down.- Brian Herbert
There’s an unwritten compact between you and the reader. If someone enters a bookstore and sets down hard earned money(energy) for your book, you owe that person some entertainment and as much more as you can give. - Frank Herbert
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

SadisticCynic wrote:

I guess that just meant it was really, really "cyanidey," or, from the Latin, "Cyanidissimus."

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
SadisticCynic

Post by SadisticCynic »

merkin muffley wrote:
SadisticCynic wrote:

You couldn't kill a BG with cyanide, no, but would you be testing RMs to see if they are human? I can't recall any mention of the gom jabbar being threatening to a someone who is beyond the Agony. If they can manipulate some poisons, why not others?

Apjak: I thought that as well, but then when I tried to think why I thought that I got stuck... :) In this chapter, when Mohiam explains the KH's need to take a poison she doesn't use the gom jabbar but rather talks about the Truthsayer drug, presumably a different thing.
Ah English, the language where pretty much any word can have any meaning! - A Thing of Eternity
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Jessica's Gom Jabbar may not have killed Leto but the poison could have distracted Leto while she gained the upper hand.

Leto hadn't taken the spice overdose yet and obviously hadn't had to convert a lethal dose of poison or he'd have had to integrate his OM. Knowledge doesn't equal experience, Paul went into a three week coma from one drop of WoL.
~Pink Snowman
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

I've edited my summary (the original post) will y'all please read and pick it apart?
~Pink Snowman
redbugpest

Post by redbugpest »

I think that there is some significance to Paul's deduction of the function of the BG.

"Politics," he said.
"Kull wahad!" the old woman said. She sent a hard glance at Jessica.
"I've not told him. Your Reverence," Jessica said.
The Reverend Mother returned her attention to Paul. "You did that on remarkably few clues," she said.

I would mention that he deduced that function to the RMs surprise.

Post by Freakzilla »

I think what is currently significant is how KJA and BH's copy of Dune apparently didn't include the epigraph.

Either that or they didn't understand it.

I'm going to translate for the less-than-gifted...

A beginning is the time for taking the most delicate care that the balances are correct.

If you don't get the facts right at the beginning you won't understand.

This every sister of the Bene Gesserit knows.

It's common knowledge, man.

To begin your study of the life of Muad'Dib, then,

We're talking about Muad'dib,

...take care that you first place him in his time: born in the 57th year of the Padishah Emperor, Shaddam IV. And take the most special care that you locate Muad'Dib in his place: the planet Arrakis.

File that for later.

Do not be deceived by the fact that he was born on Caladan and lived his first fifteen years there.

This is a fact.

He was born on Caladan and lived there until he was fifteen.

Arrakis, the planet known as Dune, is forever his place.

He did real cool stuff on Dune.
~Pink Snowman
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

redbugpest wrote:I think that there is some significance to Paul's deduction of the function of the BG.

"Politics," he said.
"Kull wahad!" the old woman said. She sent a hard glance at Jessica.
"I've not told him. Your Reverence," Jessica said.
The Reverend Mother returned her attention to Paul. "You did that on remarkably few clues," she said.

I would mention that he deduced that function to the RMs surprise.
I misread the intent of your post earlier, thanks for the input. I have added that Mohiam was suprised Paul figured this out.
~Pink Snowman
Enno

Post by Enno »

When Paul says you take a lot on yourselves he isn't kidding! Why is it so important to Mohiam that he live up to her definition of human? Would she really have killed him if he flinched? I know it seems his mom acted like it but if theyre going around making all nobility put their hand in the box then even a few failures would have made the news. Aristocrats dont like loosing their heirs.
Funny how different the book is from the movie. Mohiam show a lot more emotion in this chapter then she did in Lynches film.
SadisticCynic

Post by SadisticCynic »

Mohiam would indeed have killed him if he removed his hand from the box. Remember that only certain people are tested to see if they are human; Paul is suspected to be the KH, a male Bene Gesserit (more or less) and so would be tested in this manner. So hopefully lots of aristocrats would not be losing heirs.

Imagine if Paul did not live up to Mohiam's definition of being human and did turn out to be the KH. What then? They have unleashed an animal (Mohiam's def.) with enormous powers upon the universe!

I'm not sure how many of the books you've read so I'll say no more on that; it would be inappropriate for this forum anyway. :)

(Oh yeah, welcome! :D )

(Hey Freak, if you reckon I've done a little bit of spoiling I shouldn't have let me know.)
Enno

Post by Enno »

SadisticCynic wrote:2) Mohiam would indeed have killed him if he removed his hand from the box. Remember that only certain people are tested to see if they are human; Paul is suspected to be the KH, a male Bene Gesserit (more or less) and so would be tested in this manner. So hopefully lots of aristocrats would not be losing heirs.
She says its for breeding. And she makes it sound like it happens a lot like sand through a screen. Theres no political continuity without separating human from animal stock for breeding sounds like theyve made it their mission to manage the breeding of the whole aristocracy. I understand the Paul may be the KH but she implies the she wont let an animal be a political leader.