Chapter 43

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Chapter 43

Post by Freakzilla »

When law and duty are one, united by religion, you never become fully conscious,
fully aware of yourself. You are always a little less than an individual.

-from "Muad'Dib: The Ninety-Nine Wonders of the Universe" by Princess Irulan

Gurney's smuggler band is ambushed by the Fremen while mining spice and he is reunited with Paul. Gurney witnesses the Fremen capture and mount a worm. Paul tells him there is the "desert power" of which his father spoke. Paul asks what the word is in the villages, Gurney tells him that they've fortified their defenses to where Paul cannot harm them. To Paul this means they're immobilized while he can maneuver at will. In other words, he's already won. Paul asks Gurney to enlist with him to finish the campaign, Gurney says he never left him. Chani comes and warns Paul that a wind is coming and the Fremen hide the factory crawler in a hidden passage in the rocks of Cave of Birds. Gurney warns Paul that there are new men in his crew that he suspects are Sardaukar. Korba and Stilgar have retrieved Gurney's baliset and return it. In doing so they reveal to Gurney that Paul is Muad'dib. They go inside and a fight erupts between the Fremen and Sardaukar. Paul calls an end to the fighting and the Fremen want the Sardauar killed but Paul wants them to escape and let the emperor and Guild to find out who Muad'dib is. Paul offers the Sardaukar's knife to Stilgar and offers to stand still while Stilgar kills him. Stilgar of course refuses. Paul changes his mind about going South and decides to continue his campaign against the Harkonnens. He sends Chani back to the sietch and tells her to send his mother to him for a council, they must find a way for the young men to accept him as leader without fighting Stilgar. Gurney hears that Jessica is still alive, Idaho is dead and he vows to himself that he will reveal to Paul that Jessica was the traitor before he kills her.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Durvi

Re: Chapter 43

Post by Durvi »

This one is one of my favourites; meeting again with Gurney symbolizes hope, uniting Jihad future with good old times.
But can be any Paul Muad'Dib? Like Paul sometimes don't know if he has to act as an Atreides or Muad'Dib, a fremen. Sounds little schizophrenic. What would old Leto say to all those violence done under the name of Atreides?
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Durvi wrote:This one is one of my favourites; meeting again with Gurney symbolizes hope, uniting Jihad future with good old times.
But can be any Paul Muad'Dib? Like Paul sometimes don't know if he has to act as an Atreides or Muad'Dib, a fremen. Sounds little schizophrenic.
Extremely. But he has to be leader to both, somehow.
What would old Leto say to all those violence done under the name of Atreides?
Leto told him to go guerrilla if it came to it.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Durvi

Post by Durvi »

Freakzilla wrote:Leto told him to go guerrilla if it came to it.
That's true, but I ment Jihad and all those violence after taking up the Imperial throne by Paul.
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Durvi wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:Leto told him to go guerrilla if it came to it.
That's true, but I ment Jihad and all those violence after taking up the Imperial throne by Paul.
Ah, I don't think the Duke would have much cared for that.
~Pink Snowman
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

He would have been appalled by the Fremen Jihad, but the choice was that or the death of his children and Wife. So he could have lived with it, just as the rest of his family had to.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Revised, Clean.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves with talk of the Jihad...
~Pink Snowman