they picked edric?!?!

The monopolizer of all interstellar transportation and communication

Moderators: ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos, Freakzilla

distrans

they picked edric?!?!

Postby distrans » 19 Jan 2018 01:14

their existence actively threatened and they choose that their best interests are serviced by a representative obviously subservient to the tleilax and the gesserit?

why did the guild choose edric for this?

why are their only 9 threads about the guild here?

Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Re: they picked edric?!?!

Postby Freakzilla » 19 Jan 2018 11:40

I assume you're referring to the cabal against Paul in Dune Messiah. Why not Edric?

There probably aren't many topics on the Guild because they remain largely mysterious in the books.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman

georgiedenbro

Postby georgiedenbro » 19 Jan 2018 12:38

They needed an oracle to obscure the conspiracy, so it most likely follows that Edric is the most accomplished oracle they could afford. What he seems to sometimes lack in being quick on the uptake he mostly likely makes up for in being a really good cloaking device. I don't see him as being subservient, so much as willing to let others do the thinking at times when it will obtain him the desired result anyhow. I imagine that the Guild was pretty desperate at this point, so if that meant temporarily letting the BG and BT have a strong say in affairs they would accept it.

I agree with Freak, and think that the reason there isn't much to write about them is because there isn't all that much to them in general. They are pretty straightforward, and what Paul describes about them in Dune appears to be most of what there is to say on the matter: they are very control-oriented, logical, and efficient at balancing forces to make outcomes predictable. Once you know they desire predictability it seems to me that you know about as much about them as you need to. They are stuck in the pursuit of that goal, to a fault.
"um-m-m-ah-h-h-hm-m-m-m!"

distrans

Postby distrans » 20 Feb 2018 19:16

I still find it striking that they can foresee paul as the problem and yet not offer an operative better than edric years later in attempt to thwart him

mabe the guild as a whole wasn't involved with the actions which too place...

I don't believe edric was acting with the guilds consent as he involved himself in the conspiracy

wonder how it was drawn into it in the first place...

georgiedenbro

Postby georgiedenbro » 05 Apr 2018 10:20

distrans wrote:I still find it striking that they can foresee paul as the problem and yet not offer an operative better than edric years later in attempt to thwart him

The Guild doesn't change. To them their 'best' is probably - from Paul's perspective - the most lame and predictable. Their entire ethos is about stability, and the most powerful navigator who studies their methods would likely also be the least adventurous and able to improvise. That is their fault. That Edric was potentially the best they had to offer is a testament to how inflexible and rooted in their ways there are. Based on what we learn in the last two books about the need to never be immobile and always improvising, we can look back on the Guild in the first three books and pretty easily conclude that they have become irrelevant and are useless. They are pretty much the opposite of being a group that can have any real effects on the universe after Paul came.
"um-m-m-ah-h-h-hm-m-m-m!"

Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Postby Freakzilla » 06 Apr 2018 05:36

distrans wrote:wonder how it was drawn into it in the first place...

He was only involved to shield them with his prescience from Paul.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman

Return to “˲”