Cultures in the duniverse

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Anathema

Cultures in the duniverse

Post by Anathema »

Some fans got the idea that Frank Herbert modeled his entire duniverse after Islamic history, wich is bunk if you ask me. The Fremen of course were, but they were just the people that the story largely centered around. On the top of my head:

The Atreides; tracing their lineage to Atreus (where are they now, btw :? )
Harkonnen; a Finnish name. Vladimir is Russian wich makes an odd combination.
Corrino; name simply derived from a place. Shaddam seems to be a variation of Saddam (a common Arabic name) and the title is Padishah emperor, but there are no other obvious references that I remember.
Other House names that I can recall: Moritani, Ginaz,...?

My guess is that these names are merely remnants of the past and that the members of the Landsraad are part of some uper class meta-culture; that they all speak galach and adhere formally to the OC teachings (but in practice are mostly agnostic or even atheist)
Below that are a variet of planet bound cultures; the Fremen included. The Baron said to the emperor about Muad'Dib: "One of the Umma, surely. A Fremen fanatic, a religious adventurer. They crop up regularly on the fringes of civilization." So I conclude that there were a reasonable amount of Zensunni among the poor, planetbound masses wich could explain the large influx of pilgrims after the events in Dune.

What got me thinking about all this in the first place is a part in CoD that mentions that the Ixians have a nickname for Muad'Dibs religion. I can't find it right now, but it was something that sounded like Chinese or Korean to me (Galach is supposed to be Inglo-Slavic, and it's only the lingua franca afterall)

Any thoughts?
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Not odd at all. The two countries boarder each other. Finland even joined the Axis powers during WWII because Russia was an Ally and Russia had designs on Finland (like it always has).

The BT had some language elements that pointed to Arabic culture.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

The Ixian thing is in Children of Dune:
Muad'Dib's religion had another name now; it was Shien-san-Shao, an Ixian label which designated the intensity and insanity of those who thought they could bring the universe to paradise at the point of a crysknife. But that too would change as lx had changed. For they were merely the ninth planet of their sun, and had even forgotten the language which had given them their name.
The phrase looks like Chinese, but I haven't bothered to try to decipher what it might be based on. (Because without the original characters, it could be a lot of things; the romanization FH used isn't a standard one. In modern pinyin it would probably be Xian-san-Shao.

I've speculated (somewhere) about the Ixians having a strong Asian component in their background, based on this and (less persuasively) the name Pinky and The Brian give an Ixian character in Grunters and Sadworms (Shayama Sen...which looks Japanese)...assuming they may have done so based on something in FH's notes or that they have reached the same conclusion.

Maybe FH had Japanese electronics makers in mind when thinking about Ix and Richese?
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
orald

Post by orald »

Beides, where do you think all those blond and red-headed Russians came from? Vikings.
In memory of Perach, who suffered and died needlessly.

I wish I could have been with you that one last time.
Anathema

Post by Anathema »

Omphalos wrote:
Not odd at all. The two countries boarder each other. Finland even joined the Axis powers during WWII because Russia was an Ally and Russia had designs on Finland (like it always has).

The BT had some language elements that pointed to Arabic culture.
Yeah, I thought it was odd mainly because of the resentment the Finns would have had because of the Winter War. But before that Finland was part of the Russian tsarist empire for centuries, so it wouldn't be surprising to see Russian first names there.
Phaedrus

Post by Phaedrus »

GALACH: official language of the Imperium. Hybrid Inglo-Slavic with strong traces of cultural-specialization terms adopted during the long chain of human migrations.
Hybrid Inglo-Slavic doesn't sound all that Muslim to me.

Neither does the Orange Catholic Bible.

Fremen culture seems largely influenced by Islam, but the rest of the Imperium is almost more European, to me.
You aren't thinking or really existing unless you're willing to risk even your own sanity in the judgment of your existence.
Spicelon

Post by Spicelon »

I always thought of the BT Masters as Tibetan Monks or Priests, just smaller.
Poop is funny.
MetaCugel8262 is not.
Phaedrus

Post by Phaedrus »

Spicelon wrote:I always thought of the BT Masters as Tibetan Monks or Priests, just smaller.
They're sufi, though.

Zensunni, as well.
You aren't thinking or really existing unless you're willing to risk even your own sanity in the judgment of your existence.
waff

Post by waff »

SandChigger wrote:The Ixian thing is in Children of Dune:
Muad'Dib's religion had another name now; it was Shien-san-Shao, an Ixian label which designated the intensity and insanity of those who thought they could bring the universe to paradise at the point of a crysknife. But that too would change as lx had changed. For they were merely the ninth planet of their sun, and had even forgotten the language which had given them their name.
The phrase looks like Chinese, but I haven't bothered to try to decipher what it might be based on. (Because without the original characters, it could be a lot of things; the romanization FH used isn't a standard one. In modern pinyin it would probably be Xian-san-Shao.

I've speculated (somewhere) about the Ixians having a strong Asian component in their background, based on this and (less persuasively) the name Pinky and The Brian give an Ixian character in Grunters and Sadworms (Shayama Sen...which looks Japanese)...assuming they may have done so based on something in FH's notes or that they have reached the same conclusion.

Maybe FH had Japanese electronics makers in mind when thinking about Ix and Richese?
It's tempting to think of Ix and Richese as Japan and, say, Taiwan or Korean--the one a center of electronics and the other known for "knock-offs"!

The BT seem to have Islamic and Asian elements, and their xenophobia does remind me of some of those cultures that resist Westernization (Tibet, etc.).

It's hard not to see the cultures of Dune as allegories of twentieth-century cultures on earth. Certainly Frank was very fascinated with Arabic culture and others, so he did speculate how they would evolve if they branched out to other planets. But he merged and blended cultures so much that it's hard to say one = another. The Atreides eat "chopstick fare" and use Western utensils; they also so Spanish-style bullfighting yet are descended from Greeks, they say. So elements are hybridized so that Frank can use different elements from various cultures where he likes.
orald

Post by orald »

Well, the Atreides bullfighting could have Minoan(sp?) origins. :P
In memory of Perach, who suffered and died needlessly.

I wish I could have been with you that one last time.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Yeah, there's a whole lotta Minoan bull flippin' going on these days, to form a bridge between the past and the future. ;)
waff

Post by waff »

SandChigger wrote:Yeah, there's a whole lotta Minoan bull flippin' going on these days, to form a bridge between the past and the future. ;)
http://www.marin.cc.ca.us/~jim/photos/b ... dance.html
HoosierDaddy

Post by HoosierDaddy »

One of the great things FH did IMO was to extrapolate religious evolution.

If one accepts that Christianity was in essence a merger of Judaism and Buddhism ideals, then the next step would be the merger of Islam and Buddhism (i.e. Zensunni), throwing in a little Sufi mysticism for good measure.

:smoke:
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

waff wrote:
SandChigger wrote:Yeah, there's a whole lotta Minoan bull flippin' going on these days, to form a bridge between the past and the future. ;)
http://www.marin.cc.ca.us/~jim/photos/b ... dance.html
:lol:

Cool link, but it doesn't really disprove my point unless they claim or acknowledge some inspiration from the ancient Minoans. ;)
Anathema

Post by Anathema »

My Greek history is a bit rusty, but doesn't the Minoan civilization predate the (supposed) events of the Trojan war by several centuries? And the culture itself was limited to Crete.

'sides, other than the name there were no discernable Greek touches in the Atreides descriptions that I remember. You've got to give credit to their genealogy research though :lol:
moreh_yeladim

Post by moreh_yeladim »

waff wrote:
SandChigger wrote:The Ixian thing is in Children of Dune:

It's tempting to think of Ix and Richese as Japan and, say, Taiwan or Korean--the one a center of electronics and the other known for "knock-offs"!

The BT seem to have Islamic and Asian elements, and their xenophobia does remind me of some of those cultures that resist Westernization (Tibet, etc.).

It's hard not to see the cultures of Dune as allegories of twentieth-century cultures on earth. Certainly Frank was very fascinated with Arabic culture and others, so he did speculate how they would evolve if they branched out to other planets. But he merged and blended cultures so much that it's hard to say one = another. The Atreides eat "chopstick fare" and use Western utensils; they also so Spanish-style bullfighting yet are descended from Greeks, they say. So elements are hybridized so that Frank can use different elements from various cultures where he likes.
I always thought of the Bene Tleilax as quite heavily Japanese. FH was very good at extrapolating cultural trends, and at this point it looks like the Japanese *better* start using axlotl tanks if they want to survive.

It appears, however, that the Bene Tleilax themselves changed in their own history, oscillating between the Zen (Zen == Japanese Buddhism, yes?) and Sunni Islamic elements of their own philosophies. The ones in HoD and CHD seem very, very Islamic - even with a Jewish custom here and there (particularly the ritual bathing after contact with powindah) - but the ones seen in DM, ChOD and GEoD seem obsessed with the self-contradictory koans of Zen philosophy.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

moreh_yeladim wrote:I always thought of the Bene Tleilax as quite heavily Japanese. FH was very good at extrapolating cultural trends, and at this point it looks like the Japanese *better* start using axlotl tanks if they want to survive.
Never got that myself.

And it's still a bit early to start sounding the ethnic death knell, I should think.
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

SandChigger wrote:
moreh_yeladim wrote:I always thought of the Bene Tleilax as quite heavily Japanese. FH was very good at extrapolating cultural trends, and at this point it looks like the Japanese *better* start using axlotl tanks if they want to survive.
Never got that myself.

And it's still a bit early to start sounding the ethnic death knell, I should think.
What's this problem the Japanese are going to have??? :?
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Falling birth rates, aging and shrinking population.

They're in the same boat with us, watching the oncoming brown tsunami. ;)
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

That's why I'm thinking of becoming black. The government benifits alone make it worth it.

<~~~ I already have a fro.

My wife is already part black, her family is from Sicily.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
A Thing of Eternity

I have black ancestors! Mine are just several hundreds of generations back. :wink: :wink:
Lisan Al-Gaib

Post by Lisan Al-Gaib »

Freakzilla wrote:That's why I'm thinking of becoming black. The government benifits alone make it worth it.

Sorry, but what Italian Sicilians have to do your black people? I know they have curling hair and a skin color more dark than white people, but thats not necessary direct related to black origins (I can be wrong).

I have more black in my genes then both of you. :P

I have: german, french, Brazilian natives, afro, spanish and portuguese.

That is the Brazilian misture! :D
And I'm not a ugly guy 8)
The singular multiplicity of this universe draws my deepest attention. It is a thing of ultimate beauty.

-- The Stolen Journals

A Thing of Eternity

Lisan Al-Gaib wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:That's why I'm thinking of becoming black. The government benifits alone make it worth it.

Sorry, but what Italian Sicilians have to do your black people? I know they have curling hair and a skin color more dark than white people, but thats not necessary direct related to black origins (I can be wrong).

That's why Brazilians are commonly thought of as some of the best looking people on the planet - mixes look great, and it's hard to find a nicer/more diverse mix than Brazil.
Lisan Al-Gaib

Post by Lisan Al-Gaib »

A Thing of Eternity wrote:
Lisan Al-Gaib wrote:

That's why Brazilians are commonly thought of as some of the best looking people on the planet - mixes look great, and it's hard to find a nicer/more diverse mix than Brazil.
But we have many ugly people:

Don't scream

The singular multiplicity of this universe draws my deepest attention. It is a thing of ultimate beauty.

-- The Stolen Journals

Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

Lisan Al-Gaib wrote:

It's a result of the Mores (Africans) invading Sicily. They changed the gene pool.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman