Cultures in the duniverse

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

MrFlibble

Re: Cultures in the duniverse

Post by MrFlibble »

I find it interesting that FH mentions Mamelukes as sources of Harkonnen genetics in Heretics:
Underlying all of this was what the Harkonnens had left behind -- genetic lines tracing far away into the dawn times of Greek and Pathan and Mameluke, shadows of ancient history that few outside of professional historians or those trained by the Bene Gesserit could even name.
Come to think of it, one could easily draw parallels between the Harkonnens and the historical Mamelukes, who were, essentially, warrior slaves, yet the position of a Mameluke was so prestigious that people would sometimes sell themselves into slavery to get a chance to become part of the Mameluke elite. Fh mentions that even though the Harkonnen populace was confined to a slave-like existence, serving in the Baron's military was the most prestigious position one could get, making Harkonnen soldiers the elite of their society.

I believe it is also quite possible to draw similar parallels between the Mamelukes and the Sardaukar...
WHAT IF YOU NO LONGER HEAR THE MUSIC OF LIFE?
MEMORIES ARE NOT ENOUGH UNLESS THEY CALL YOU TO NOBLE PURPOSE!
JimmytheT

Post by JimmytheT »

With respect to the Fremen, I always wondered if the Fremen were (intentionally or unintentionally) allegorical to either the ancient Jews or the early 20th century Arabs.
Your life story would not make a good book. Don't even try.
-Fran Lebowitz
MetaCugel8262

Post by MetaCugel8262 »

From earlier..."Harkonnen; a Finnish name. Vladimir is Russian which makes an odd combination." What makes this even more odd and seemingly prophetic is that the current President of Russia is named Vladimir Putin. Here's something also strangely odd and prophetic. The Padishah Emperor is called Shaddam. Iran was called Persia before 1979 and ruled by the Shah. If you take the h from either Bush or Shah and add it to Saddam you've got Shaddam. Here is the strangest part of all, the book Dune began in the year 10191...the Gulf War began in 1991. A side note...Russia currently has the largest oil reserves on earth.
The play of words can lead to certain expectations which life is unable to match. This is a source of much insanity and other forms of unhappiness...-Wreave Saying: Whipping Star
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

:roll:
"If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

Happy Memorial Day everyone! -James C. Harwood

"Three of my videos have over 100 views."
"Over 500 views for my 'Open Question' video." -Nebiros
MetaCugel8262

Post by MetaCugel8262 »

You're joking right? I sure hope so, because if you think what I just wrote is "dumb" you should just give up and start playing video games all day instead of just the majority of the day.
The play of words can lead to certain expectations which life is unable to match. This is a source of much insanity and other forms of unhappiness...-Wreave Saying: Whipping Star
D Pope

Post by D Pope »

MetaCugel8262 wrote:From earlier..."Harkonnen; a Finnish name. Vladimir is Russian which makes an odd combination." What makes this even more odd and seemingly prophetic is that the current President of Russia is named Vladimir Putin. Here's something also strangely odd and prophetic. The Padishah Emperor is called Shaddam. Iran was called Persia before 1979 and ruled by the Shah. If you take the h from either Bush or Shah and add it to Saddam you've got Shaddam. Here is the strangest part of all, the book Dune began in the year 10191...the Gulf War began in 1991. A side note...Russia currently has the largest oil reserves on earth.
You're saying;
1.)Russian/Finnish is an odd combo for a name?
2.)It's odd and seemingly prophetic that a Dune character and the president of Russia share a name?
3.)Iran was called Persia before 1979? You do mean, like, way before '79, right?
4.)Somehow, Frank chose the name Shaddam as a warning about presidents and shahs?
5.)The date in Dune has something to do with 1991?
6.)...And all this is tied together by Russian oil reserves?
Have I gotten it right? Did I misunderstand or misrepresent anything? I want to understand your posted ideas, please let me know if i'm getting it wrong!
Leto II is gone for good, except for OM. The "pearl" was just that; a miniscule portion of what Leto was, and not a compressed version of the whole. The pearl that the worms have do not make them Leto, or in any way similar to him.
-Omphalos
MetaCugel8262

Post by MetaCugel8262 »

Jeesh, does this ever end? There was a Revolution in 1979 in what was until then called Persia. After the Revoltion they changed the name to Iran, which in Perian means Aryan. In the 1950's there was a Nationalist government in Persia which was planning to Nationalize its oil fields and take them away from the US owned Big Oil Corporations. The CIA helped overthrow the government and install the Shah. The Shah was very elitist, called himself an Emperor, laid claim to an ancient Persian lineage and ruled like a tyrant both for the Persian elite and the Big Oil companies. As a result of this there was a Revolution in 1979 which resulted in rule by the Ayatollah and a theocratic regieme that was hostile to the west. They also took American hostages from the US embassy. As a result, Pres.Carter lost support and Reagan was voted into office. The Reagan Admin. aligned itself with Saddam after he invaded Iran in 1980, a direct result of the Iranian Revolution. They sold them weapons, including chemical and provided intelligence, helping him build up his war machine. The Iran-Iraq war lasted until 1988 and they borrowed heavily from Kuwait, while at the same time protecting Kuwaits interests against Iran. At the end of the war Iraq owed Kuwait billions of dollars and Saddam wanted the debt either reduced or forgiven because they had fought and died for Kuwait. In 1988, the Soviet Bloc began to collapse and the US was looking for a new enemy. In 1990 Saddam claims he was given the greenlight to invade and occupy Kuwait by the Bush Admin. He invaded based on this apparently false assumption, leading to the Gulf War in 1991. Later that year the USSR fell after hardliners attempted a coup against Gorbechev. The Russian President Yeltsin resisted, the USSR fragmented and collpased and became The Russia Republic...and former Soviet States. Vladimir Putin became the President after Yeltsin and still domiantes today. Although many of the oil fields of the world have reached peak oil, as always, Russia has huge reserves.
Last edited by MetaCugel8262 on 18 Dec 2011 13:48, edited 1 time in total.
ahnnah

Post by ahnnah »

It LIVES!!!!!!!!

Why dear god, why? :crazy:
MetaCugel8262

Post by MetaCugel8262 »

You people are hopeless bottom feeders aren't you? I guess thats the way goes in this world. The ignorant compensate for their trollish ways by calling people that know what the hell they're talking about by calling them either stupid or crazy. Well, enjoy being virgins for they rest of your lives. I suggest you give up and study something more in tune with yourselves...possibly Cracked or Mad Magezine.
ahnnah

Post by ahnnah »

MetaCugel8262 wrote:You people are hopeless bottom feeders aren't you? I guess thats the way goes in this world. The ignorant compensate for their trollish ways by calling people that know what the hell they're talking about by calling them either stupid or crazy. Well, enjoy being virgins for they rest of your lives. I suggest you give up and study something more in tune with yourselves...possibly Cracked or Mad Magezine.
Do you really need other people to do that for you? Seems to speak for itself really.
MetaCugel8262

Post by MetaCugel8262 »

ahnnah

Post by ahnnah »

MetaCugel8262 wrote:
And this is...... what? Another failed attempt by you at using another person's words to convey a message that you yourself are unable to articulate? :tissue2:
I don't see that you really ever post much about Dune. I mean, that's kinda why we're all here right? Most of us anyway.

I'm just going go out on a limb to make a general suggestion here: if one cannot find something intelligent to say, one might consider not saying anything at all. It's just a thought.
MetaCugel8262

Post by MetaCugel8262 »

In case you're wondering, that was one of Kurt Cobains favorite punk bands from the early 1980's. It's a joke song...he isn't talking about real handicapped people. :D
ahnnah

Post by ahnnah »

:bow-blue: really this smiley is beating it's face into the ground.
MetaCugel8262

Post by MetaCugel8262 »

Yawn. Ok buddy, I'm going to go have a fun and meaningful life right now. Later.
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

MetaCugel8262 wrote:You're joking right? I sure hope so, because if you think what I just wrote is "dumb" you should just give up and start playing video games all day instead of just the majority of the day.
Not at all. I don't think what you wrote is "dumb"; I really think it's dumb.

[YouTubehttp://youtube.com/watch?v=this_jackass_thinks_coincidences_are_prophetic[/YouTube]

I'm going to go play a video game called, Holy shit, that thing that just happened in the game reminds me of something in the world, the creators must be prophets.

It's really cool. I think there's an iPhone app for it too.
"If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

Happy Memorial Day everyone! -James C. Harwood

"Three of my videos have over 100 views."
"Over 500 views for my 'Open Question' video." -Nebiros
D Pope

Post by D Pope »

Vladimir Putin became the President after Yeltsin and still domiantes today.
You have failed to notice that Rocky and Bullwinkle, a known propaganda cartoon of the US Government, employed a character named Boris.
Boris owes his diminuitive stature to Yeltsins great size. Prophecy, insult, & satire aimed at discrediting a Soviet Premier.
I smell what you're steppin in.
Last edited by D Pope on 18 Dec 2011 15:33, edited 1 time in total.
Leto II is gone for good, except for OM. The "pearl" was just that; a miniscule portion of what Leto was, and not a compressed version of the whole. The pearl that the worms have do not make them Leto, or in any way similar to him.
-Omphalos
Crysknife

Post by Crysknife »

It's always fun to pick on people who can't take criticism and think they're god's gift to the world, and especially to a little ol' Dune forum with its poor poor members who are just scraping the surface with their meager thoughts. :D

If only we could all be like metacugel.......shame really.
D Pope

Post by D Pope »

MetaCugel8262 wrote:Jeesh, does this ever end? There was a Revolution in 1979 in what was until then called Persia. Questionable filler Questionable filler Questionable filler Questionable filler Questionable filler Questionable filler Questionable filler Questionable filler Questionable filler Questionable filler Questionable filler Questionable filler Questionable filler Questionable filler Questionable filler Questionable filler Questionable filler Questionable filler Questionable filler Questionable filler Questionable filler Questionable filler Questionable filler Questionable filler Questionable filler Questionable filler Questionable filler Questionable filler Questionable filler Questionable filler Questionable filler Questionable filler Questionable filler Questionable filler Questionable filler Questionable filler Russia has huge reserves.
You're saying;
1.)Russian/Finnish is an odd combo for a name?
2.)It's odd and seemingly prophetic that a Dune character and the president of Russia share a name?
3.) Answered! Good Job! *see below
4.)Somehow, Frank chose the name Shaddam as a warning about presidents and shahs?
5.)The date in Dune has something to do with 1991?
6.)...And all this is tied together by Russian oil reserves?
Have I gotten it right? Did I misunderstand or misrepresent anything? I want to understand your posted ideas, please let me know if i'm getting it wrong!
It's a simple direct question, what about this made you call me a bottom feeder?

*Below;
The name "Iran" has been in use natively since the Sassanian era and came into use internationally in 1935, before which the country was known to the Western world as Persia ( /ˈpɜrʒə/ or /ˈpɜrʃə/). Both "Persia" and "Iran" are used interchangeably in cultural contexts; however, "Iran" is the name used officially in political contexts
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iran" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
-Omphalos
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

I can explain what was silly about your post - you basically just strung together far fetched coincidences (I'm SHOCKED that TWO world leaders had an H in their names! What are the chances of that?! :lol: And combine that with Frank using a name for the emperor similar to an Arab name in a book full of endless arabian influence? Amazing!) and called it prophetic.

10191 and 1991 - it doesn't matter WHAT date FH had picked, people like you will find a way to make it work. If it had been 11192 you could have said "wow, if you subtract the first number from the last number, and then change the second 1 to a 9 it becomes 1991! PROPHETIC!".

I'll tell you what, you pick any piece of science fiction and I'll find ways it was prophetic.
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

okay, now I'll give you that that pile of word garbage sounds like NewFaceNomad,
but I really don't recall him being so angry & condescending; those are the post
hallmarks that make me think this is Onasander, and that the first post MetaTarsal
put up was another "can't be all just get along & discuss Dune" about Us v Them ...

altho, I think in Onasander's mind, there is no-one able to "discuss Dune" with him -
he's always going to be the master .... this MetaTarsal has a little of that same stink about him ...
I don't recall NFD quite like that, but then again, I've had him and some of the other TinFoilHat Clubbers
mixed up for some time ...

anyway tho, I WILL say this, with certainty ... MetaTarsal1492 is a sock-puppet for some
other assclown we've already chased out of here before ,,,
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
D Pope

Post by D Pope »

What is it about these ding bats that posesses them to flitter into a forum, drop a large stinking load that almost approximates relevant content, only to act offended and leave if anyone cares enough to try to find out why? The pattern is too stereotypical not to have a reason, could the answer really be as simple as drugs? Is there some form of preeq that believes such behavior is, in some way, a victory for the preeq cause?
-Omphalos
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

D Pope wrote:
Vladimir Putin became the President after Yeltsin and still domiantes today.
You have failed to notice that Rocky and Bullwinkle, a known propaganda cartoon of the US Government, employed a character named Boris.
Boris owes his diminuitive stature to Yeltsins great size. Prophecy, insult, & satire aimed at discrediting a Soviet Premier.
I smell what you're steppin in.
Did you see the movie?
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
D Pope

Post by D Pope »

I must admit that I haven't.
The cartoon is a dim blur as well, I never really was a fan.
-Omphalos
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

You make a point, the pattern is always so similar that it almost seems like all the tinfoilhat people are actually just one single person...