landsraad structure

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

Here's an example of the whole problem in a nutshell, BobaGodot. This is a thread for the discussion of the "Landsraad & Emperor", but again, the discussion is about how Kevin's bullshit (doesn't) fit(s) into the original universe. You completely lost me with this:
up there somewhere, BobaGodot wrote:Interestingly, BH and KJA contributed, and the backstory is completely different in the book than it is in the Prequel novels, despite the sourcebook being the first appearance of House Vernius and that itinerant House that the Guild employs.
This is all gibberish to me, because I've not read anything other than Dune. And the fact that I have to then clarify and say "The Dune of Frank Herbert" makes me cranky. This is also why I don't participate in the "Dune Discussions", but spend my time ridiculing the HLP and chatting up cute English lads and insane Eastern European women while waiting for Merritt to wake up and do something foolish.
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Let's return to the question of the Sysselraads. They're described (in the one place in the books where the word appears) as "regional". Since the Great Houses are already represented in the Landsraad, why would the Sysselraads need to be represented there as well? The Imperium is no democracy, remember.
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

SandRider wrote:... spend my time ridiculing the HLP and chatting up cute English lads and insane Eastern European women while waiting for Merritt to wake up and do something foolish.
Definitely a full day! :)
EsperandoAGodot

Post by EsperandoAGodot »

SandRider wrote:Here's an example of the whole problem in a nutshell, BobaGodot. This is a thread for the discussion of the "Landsraad & Emperor", but again, the discussion is about how Kevin's bullshit (doesn't) fit(s) into the original universe. You completely lost me with this:
up there somewhere, BobaGodot wrote:Interestingly, BH and KJA contributed, and the backstory is completely different in the book than it is in the Prequel novels, despite the sourcebook being the first appearance of House Vernius and that itinerant House that the Guild employs.
This is all gibberish to me, because I've not read anything other than Dune. And the fact that I have to then clarify and say "The Dune of Frank Herbert" makes me cranky. This is also why I don't participate in the "Dune Discussions", but spend my time ridiculing the HLP and chatting up cute English lads and insane Eastern European women while waiting for Merritt to wake up and do something foolish.
It's only a problem if you make it a problem. I was making reference to the d20 RP, and decided I'd make an offhand mention of how the d20 contains further evidence that BH and KJA suck at their "jobs." This became a quick disagreement between me and another poster about how much BH and KJA actually contributed to the roleplaying material. Slightly tangential, slightly off topic. Perhaps if we hadn't been having that argument earlier today, you and I, then this wouldn't seem like such a problem to you.

I only mentioned the d20 sourcebook because it includes an existing interpretation of the Sysselraad - something we know nothing about, really - from a licensed product.
DUNE - Chronicles of the Imperium
A free-form, forum based RPG
http://boards.theforce.net/non_star_war ... 346/p1/?11
Launched and ready to fire.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

The implication there being that because it was licensed there just may be extra information from Frank's Holy Notes included by Kevin and the other guy?

Dubious.
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

SandChigger wrote: The Imperium is no democracy, remember.
Yes, but the Emperor cannot be expected dictate every micro-detail. It must be left to men of noble breeding and exceptional character to manage the day to day politics. And in order to obtain consensus there must be open discussion between equals. Or is my prequel exposure making me think too democratically. Is the Imperium managed solely in smoky backrooms with backhanders, kick-backs and promises of allegiance?
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

just trying to indoctrinate you into the hardcore OH belief system, so you
don't seem confused all the time when people attack your positions or,
eventually, call you a fucktard. just clarifing my position that as soon as
Kevin's Bullshit is mentioned, in any form or context, I'm going to pull
out a crysknife and try to stick it in your eye. just pointing out that any
discussion of noDune eventually does damage to the understanding of
Frank Herbert's Dune, because the concepts concocted while Kevin's
out hiking will seep into your brain until you can't tell the difference, and
post something stupid. just trying to save your immortal soul.
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

DuneFishUK wrote:Yes, but the Emperor cannot be expected dictate every micro-detail.
Never said he did.

That's why planets and systems are given as fiefs to the Great Houses: they do the "micro-managing". So the results differ depending on the character of each House. I would imagine the people of Caladan had a much better time of it than those on Giedi Prime.
Is the Imperium managed solely in smoky backrooms with backhanders, kick-backs and promises of allegiance?
Isn't that the picture you get?

Whatever the nature of its origins those two thousand or more years before the Jihad (whether from some democratic alliance between worlds to ensure safe commerce and travel and to prevent mutual aggression between members or from an alliance of the downtrodden against a central Imperial authority), it's probable that its character changed over time as the overall social structure of the Imperium changed to a more rigid, feudal one under the Corrinos.
EsperandoAGodot

SandChigger wrote:The implication there being that because it was licensed there just may be extra information from Frank's Holy Notes included by Kevin and the other guy?

Dubious.
I doubt Frank bothered taking notes about the Sysselraad.

There was no information on it before, and then an official Dune product - whatever that might mean to you - offered a possible explanation. It's not automatically stupid just because Frank didn't write it, especially because BH and KJA also didn't. It may not be canon, but since canon is quiet on this particular issue, I thought pointing out that the d20 sourcebook proferred an explanation might be of interest.

Jesus Christ, people.
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

I'm telling you, you're about three posts away from being
called a fucktard. fair warning ....
It's not automatically stupid just because Frank didn't write it
Possibly true, but it is irrelevant. (to me)
Last edited by SandRider on 09 Nov 2008 23:06, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage

SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

And some other game made "House Ordos" secret thinking-machine users. (Or was that just in Nebby's fanfic.)

Jesus NavaChrist, dude.
EsperandoAGodot

It was an interesting citation, is all, an interpretation of the text that happened to agree with an interpretation brought up by a poster. That's all.