Sardaukar?

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

Setzer

Re: Sardaukar?

Post by Setzer »

Frank Herbert isn't the only one to comment on harsh environment making better potential recruits. In The Gallic Wars, Caesar mentioned the Belgae as being the bravest because they were the furthest away from the decadent comforts of city living. That made them excellent material for soldiers.

http://forums.spacebattles.com/showthread.php?t=134993" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is what I meant by a Frank Herbert imitator who doesn't understand the purpose of harsh training. Sure, you don't want a collection of soft wimps, but suffering alone doesn't make good soldiers. The author spends so much time chronicling how much recruits are made to suffer he almost totally ignores the parts of military training that aren't physical conditioning. To give you an example, the recruits mentioned in the above thread are not allowed to quit their Special forces training unless they ring a bell. The instructors will physically beat anyone who is heading towards the bell. So...

Let's say there are two general types of people in this training group. Type As are determined enough to work through physical pain, strong enough to tank the damage and keep pushing forward anyway, or clever enough to make their way past several instructors to reach the bell.

Type Bs are easily intimidated by pain, shy away from conflict, and will meekly obey an oppressor if it means they avoid greater suffering.

Having compared Type As and Type Bs, who do you think are more likely to quit the program? And who do you think would make for better soldiers?
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

Ah, I kinda figured you had someone in mind the way you were talking!
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

SandChigger wrote:
lukecash12 wrote:Sardaukar were just people picked out to go live on a prison planet
Stupid oversimplification. :roll:
ain't that the Hellhole premise ?
with vineyards ?
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
Setzer

Post by Setzer »

lukecash12 wrote:
:lol: If you've got your math right then yeah, Fremen were scary as all bloody hell.
Look at the planet they lived on, and the history of their people. Sardaukar were just people picked out to go live on a prison planet, and the emperor was at the head of a cult of personality. Paul's fremen were people who would consider me and you "water-rich", and we would consider them like someone who got out of a concentration camp after a short stay there, what with their water scarce bodies. Lean, mean, killing machines.
Fremen do not look like death camp inmates. There's a difference between fat and water fat. You could probably find a hulking bodybuilder who would count as water fat by Fremen standards, without being traditionally obese.

People sent to Salusa Secundus aren't just prisoners. It's not like you spend a year on Salusa Secundus for contempt of court, or a few weeks for bouncing a check. The absolute worst, most violent, most brutal scum of the universe are sent to Salusa Secundus. The murderers, the rapists, the most determined thieves, etc. They're put through an environment that kills just over half of all newcomers. Those who survive are given the very best of military training, and outfitted with all the wealth that House Corrino has at its disposal.

However, the downside of this huge death rate is that you have a smaller pool of trainees to draw on for service. Of course, Duniverse armies are very small by our standards, being limited by the Great Convention and the cost of Guild transportation. Something most people seem to miss, is that the Fremen didn't have the high death rate of Sardaukar recruits. So despite living on a planet far worse then Salusa Secundus, far more of them survived to adulthood.
lukecash12

Post by lukecash12 »

SandChigger wrote:
lukecash12 wrote:Sardaukar were just people picked out to go live on a prison planet
Stupid oversimplification. :roll:
And you can credit the sublime Padishah Emperor for oversimplifying it. The Fremen had Fremen parental guardians and a Fremen society, while the Sardaukar, so far as we know, were just first generation members of a group over and over. There was no domestic element for the Sardaukar. And the Sardaukar got nice pensions after training, while the Fremen stayed water scarce and completely dependent on the tribe and it's necessary violence rituals. The Sardaukar weakened because they were a cult of personality that wasn't tended to properly by their patron personality, while the Fremen valued water (life) so much that many of them rebelled against the cult of personality when water (life) became no longer sacred. The water came in abundance and began to undercut their sacrament fatalism, so they rebelled, while the Sardaukar were perfectly copacetic about receiving ease of life and losing some of their fatalism.
Last edited by lukecash12 on 11 Sep 2011 19:44, edited 3 times in total.
The sentence below this is false.
The sentence above this is true.
lukecash12

Post by lukecash12 »

Setzer wrote:
lukecash12 wrote:
:lol: If you've got your math right then yeah, Fremen were scary as all bloody hell.
Look at the planet they lived on, and the history of their people. Sardaukar were just people picked out to go live on a prison planet, and the emperor was at the head of a cult of personality. Paul's fremen were people who would consider me and you "water-rich", and we would consider them like someone who got out of a concentration camp after a short stay there, what with their water scarce bodies. Lean, mean, killing machines.
Fremen do not look like death camp inmates. There's a difference between fat and water fat. You could probably find a hulking bodybuilder who would count as water fat by Fremen standards, without being traditionally obese.

People sent to Salusa Secundus aren't just prisoners. It's not like you spend a year on Salusa Secundus for contempt of court, or a few weeks for bouncing a check. The absolute worst, most violent, most brutal scum of the universe are sent to Salusa Secundus. The murderers, the rapists, the most determined thieves, etc. They're put through an environment that kills just over half of all newcomers. Those who survive are given the very best of military training, and outfitted with all the wealth that House Corrino has at its disposal.

However, the downside of this huge death rate is that you have a smaller pool of trainees to draw on for service. Of course, Duniverse armies are very small by our standards, being limited by the Great Convention and the cost of Guild transportation. Something most people seem to miss, is that the Fremen didn't have the high death rate of Sardaukar recruits. So despite living on a planet far worse then Salusa Secundus, far more of them survived to adulthood.
It's not so clear, at least to me, that the Sardaukar were criminals sent to Salusa Secundus.
Setzer

Post by Setzer »

Yes, but there are criminals and there are criminals. People sent to Salusa Secundus aren't just petty criminals, they're the most vicious lawbreakers in the Imperium, the kind of guys that would have you reflectively covering your anus on sight.
The Red Duke

Post by The Red Duke »

lukecash12 wrote:It's not so clear, at least to me, that the Sardaukar were criminals sent to Salusa Secundus.
I know what you mean and I feel the same way. I always got the impression that the designation of Salusa Secundus as a prison world was a cover for what it actually was, that is a training/breeding ground for the Emperor's Sardaukar.
I have a special seat in my house that is designed to let me shit in a bowl of fresh water. I am the 1%.
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

The Red Duke wrote:
lukecash12 wrote:It's not so clear, at least to me, that the Sardaukar were criminals sent to Salusa Secundus.
I know what you mean and I feel the same way. I always got the impression that the designation of Salusa Secundus as a prison world was a cover for what it actually was, that is a training/breeding ground for the Emperor's Sardaukar.
That's what I got too. It may have actually been a prison planet but that was just a front.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
lukecash12

Post by lukecash12 »

Freakzilla wrote:
The Red Duke wrote:
That's what I got too. It may have actually been a prison planet but that was just a front.
Precisely, because it's doubtful that a full grown adult who is a hardened criminal, could make for good material in a force as large and sophisticated as the Sardaukar. Considering the survival rate, the supposition that they were taken as children in large groups, would tend to make more sense. How else would the Emperor have a force feared by everyone in the Landsraad.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

lukecash12 wrote:Considering the survival rate, the supposition that they were taken as children in large groups, would tend to make more sense.
Any textual support for that "supposition"? Or is it more a suppository you've pulled from your ass?
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

(Around here it's a smart move to distinguish between what "you think" and what has an actual basis in the text, because you WILL be called on it.)
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Setzer

Post by Setzer »

It's cheaper to train a full grown adult then it is to look after a child until he's old enough to bear arms. You can take an 18 year old and give him a few months training and you have a soldier. An 8 year old needs more time invested. If the Emperor just grabbed children and sent them to Salusa Secundus, he wouldn't have an army of feared warriors, he'd just have a Corps of corpses. Sure there are armies and rebel groups that use child soldiers today, but warfare on Earth relies heavily on weapons that wouldn't make it through shields. They also rely on machines and automation that would be banned by proscriptions of the Butlerian Jihad.

The prison planet front works because it's simple. No one questions why you're grabbing a bunch of vicious men and keeping them all in one safe place, because that's the entire point of a prison. No one questions why the nature of the place is kept secret, because, as the Baron put it "So he's not proud of some of the things he must do there." Meanwhile he has the supporting levies recruited from the Landsraad houses providing a plausible alibi for where the troops come from.

Sure the Emperor might have started colonies on Salusa Secundus to make sure the planet is populated, but there's a difference between a colony and a mere shipload of children.
merkin muffley

Post by merkin muffley »

The way Hawat talks about Selusa Secundus in Dune, when he says:
Dune wrote:the mortality rate among new prisoners is higher than sixty per cent
doesn't suggest that they're taking large groups of children to the planet.
"I must admit, you have an astonishingly good idea there, Doctor...."
Setzer

Post by Setzer »

No one questions too much if you take a murderer and haul him to some godforsaken rock to never be seen again. How are you going to get such a plausible alibi for children? There's simply no point in grabbing kids and training them to be soldiers when you won't see a return on their investment for about a decade. This is doubly true considering the high mortality rate.

EDIT: Also, I don't know if some of you have forgotten this, but adults are capable of making children. According to the Dune encyclopedia, the Sardau tribe was structured so only the most successful warriors got wives. If the prisoners are mostly male, it's easy to recreate that structure, ensuring only the best warriors get to reproduce.
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

Setzer wrote:No one questions too much if you take a murderer and haul him to some godforsaken rock to never be seen again. How are you going to get such a plausible alibi for children?
I think you're forgetting that that's how the Jedi do it.
"If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

Happy Memorial Day everyone! -James C. Harwood

"Three of my videos have over 100 views."
"Over 500 views for my 'Open Question' video." -Nebiros
Setzer

Post by Setzer »

Nekhrun wrote:
Setzer wrote:No one questions too much if you take a murderer and haul him to some godforsaken rock to never be seen again. How are you going to get such a plausible alibi for children?
I think you're forgetting that that's how the Jedi do it.
The Jedi have knowledge of the Force, and the only teachers who can educate people about the Force. They can tell people "your child has a wondrous and special power, and only we can teach him how to control it." Furthermore, people may be sad to part with their children, but they have the consolation of knowing their sons or daughters will have opportunities they could never hope to give them. Put like that, parting with your children becomes easier.

Jedi in the Old Republic were seen as noble defenders of peace in the galaxy. The Sardaukar, OTOH, are the Emperor's pet mass murdering psychos and make sure everyone knows it.
merkin muffley

Post by merkin muffley »

Setzer wrote: EDIT: Also, I don't know if some of you have forgotten this, but adults are capable of making children.
Bonnie and Clyde were probably fucking each others' brains out on that planet.
"I must admit, you have an astonishingly good idea there, Doctor...."
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

Setzer wrote: EDIT: Also, I don't know if some of you have forgotten this, but adults are capable of making children.
:lol: It's funny, that's what I was thinking but I didn't say anything - no need to drag endless children there which would obviously not go undetected - those convicts will have kids.
Serkanner
Administrator

Post by Serkanner »

Any mention of female Sardaukar anywhere?
"... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

“There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
and wrote a Dune Novel."
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Serkanner wrote:Any mention of female Sardaukar anywhere?
No
~Pink Snowman
Setzer

Post by Setzer »

Is that such a surprise? The militaries of Dune seem to be male dominated until the Fish Speakers pop up.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Maybe he's thinking of the breeding them on SS angle. Keep the females on SS to breed, kinda like the BT.
~Pink Snowman
Setzer

Post by Setzer »

Freakzilla wrote:Maybe he's thinking of the breeding them on SS angle. Keep the females on SS to breed, kinda like the BT.
According to the Dune Encyclopedia, that's how the Sardaukar women were treated. They were kept out of battle and made babies.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Setzer wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:Maybe he's thinking of the breeding them on SS angle. Keep the females on SS to breed, kinda like the BT.
According to the Dune Encyclopedia, that's how the Sardaukar women were treated. They were kept out of battle and made babies.
That's probably where I got the idea.
~Pink Snowman