Sardaukar?

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

Serkanner
Administrator

Re: Sardaukar?

Post by Serkanner »

Setzer wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:Maybe he's thinking of the breeding them on SS angle. Keep the females on SS to breed, kinda like the BT.
According to the Dune Encyclopedia, that's how the Sardaukar women were treated. They were kept out of battle and made babies.
But the DE is not canon.

My question was justwhat it said. I wondered if there was any mentioning of Sardaukar women in the novels because I don't remember it does. I also don't know of any mentioning of women at all on SS so I don't draw any conclusions into the direction that there were any. So, no mention of any women, so no babies.
"... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

“There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
and wrote a Dune Novel."
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

We can't assume there weren't women because they weren't mentioned. (How's that Nebby? :P )

I think the Sardaukar had to be a combination of surviving prisoners and people born there. After all, the Atreides seem to have gotten the idea of using the Fremen from the Sardaukar.

I think of SS kind of like Austrailia. It started out as a prison colony then developed its own population.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Serkanner
Administrator

Post by Serkanner »

Freakzilla wrote:We can't assume there weren't women because they weren't mentioned. (How's that Nebby? :P )

I think the Sardaukar had to be a combination of surviving prisoners and people born there. After all, the Atreides seem to have gotten the idea of using the Fremen from the Sardaukar.

I think of SS kind of like Austrailia. It started out as a prison colony then developed its own population.
I agree. It is very likely, but not supported by the texts however.
"... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

“There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
and wrote a Dune Novel."
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Serkanner wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:We can't assume there weren't women because they weren't mentioned. (How's that Nebby? :P )

I agree. It is very likely, but not supported by the texts however.
Yeah, That's why I said "I think".

Review the chapter in Dune where Hawat discusses the Sardaukar with the Baron. There may be something there.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

you know, I'm thinking of taking the position that the DE is now canon ...
treating the entire thing the way we treat the other "in-universe texts" Frank quotes -
unless directly contradicting something in the narrative (for an obvious purpose),
I don't see a problem with using the "facts & history" presented in the DE ....

I think Frank's "reservations" about the DE most likely centered on the material
about the Butlerian Jihad - at the time, he was probably thinking about future
Dune books and "keeping that door open"; I don't think being dead in a few
years ever crossed his mind ...
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
Setzer

Post by Setzer »

My approach is that the Dune Encyclopedia is canon except in the areas where it doesn't comply with Herbert's works. Since it corresponds with Herbert's work far better then the cash cow novels, I don't think there will be anything wrong with that.
JustSomeGuy

Post by JustSomeGuy »

As the first ' Dune fan,'' I give this encyclopedia
my delighted approval, although I hold my own counsel on some of the issues still
to be explored as the Chronicles unfold.

Frank Herbert
Port Townsend, WA
November, 1983
It may not be canon, but hey...
I bring nothing to the table.
JustSomeGuy

Post by JustSomeGuy »

I give this encyclopedia my delighted approval...
JustSomeGuy

Post by JustSomeGuy »

although I hold my own counsel on some of the issues still to be explored as the Chronicles unfold.
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

I consider it quasi-canon except where contradicted by the original novels. The rest of it isn't ruled out immediately just for being in the DE, but neither do I accept any of it as solid canon, simply because it's an in-universe text.
JustSomeGuy

Post by JustSomeGuy »

I know it's pointless to speculate, but I wonder what Mr. Herbert would have thought of the new books?
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

JustSomeGuy wrote:I know it's pointless to speculate, but I wonder what Mr. Herbert would have thought of the new books?
Do you really wonder?!
JustSomeGuy

Post by JustSomeGuy »

Yeah... I wonder how disappointed he would feel. Angry, maybe? It's more along those lines.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

~Pink Snowman
merkin muffley

Post by merkin muffley »

NICE.

Did you notice Scarlett Johanssen's tits, by the way?
"I must admit, you have an astonishingly good idea there, Doctor...."
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

merkin muffley wrote:Did you notice Scarlett Johanssen's tits, by the way?
Somebody get this kid some more lotion, looks like he's going to be away for a bit.
"If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

Happy Memorial Day everyone! -James C. Harwood

"Three of my videos have over 100 views."
"Over 500 views for my 'Open Question' video." -Nebiros
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

SandRider wrote:you know, I'm thinking of taking the position that the DE is now canon ...
treating the entire thing the way we treat the other "in-universe texts" Frank quotes -
unless directly contradicting something in the narrative (for an obvious purpose),
Well, you have fun with that and let us know how it works out for you.
I think Frank's "reservations" about the DE most likely centered on the material
I think it's a bit more complex than that.

There were 43 contributors to the DE, including Dr. McNelly. It's unclear how many (if any) of them had any contact with FH other than through McNelly. It would have been stupid for FH to allow himself to be bound by the details dreamed up by that many people with differing interpretations and understandings of the first three (four?) books. (McNelly wrote that they had available an advance copy of GEoD, but everyone probably didn't have ready access to it.)

I'm willing to accept a few details from the DE that seem like something FH would have come up with and included himself (the Fremen Reverend Mothers reviving and instructing the tribes in an older form of their language; the "Oxygen Crisis" stuff, etc.) but a lot of it is just nonsense ("clam power"; the worms evolving on Arrakis after an asteroid impact; the ancient history of the BG; all the Holzmann cyborg bullshit, etc etc etc) and just as bad in its way as some of the shit squirted out by The Prodigal & Hack-for-Hire, and I refuse to grant it even quasi-canon status. :hand: :snooty: :naughty:
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

merkin muffley wrote:
NICE.

Did you notice Scarlett Johanssen's tits, by the way?
I saw one of 'em, it's perfect!
~Pink Snowman
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

You should see the other one, then! :lol:
merkin muffley

Post by merkin muffley »

Nekhrun wrote:
merkin muffley wrote:Did you notice Scarlett Johanssen's tits, by the way?
Somebody get this kid some more lotion, looks like he's going to be away for a bit.
Dating can be frustrating.
"I must admit, you have an astonishingly good idea there, Doctor...."
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

SandChigger wrote:
SandRider wrote:you know, I'm thinking of taking the position that the DE is now canon ...
Well, you have fun with that and let us know how it works out for you.
I think it's a bit more complex than that.

There were 43 contributors to the DE, including Dr. McNelly. It's unclear how many (if any) of them had any contact with FH other than through McNelly. It would have been stupid for FH to allow himself to be bound by the details dreamed up by that many people with differing interpretations and understandings of the first three (four?) books. (McNelly wrote that they had available an advance copy of GEoD, but everyone probably didn't have ready access to it.)

I'm willing to accept a few details from the DE that seem like something FH would have come up with and included himself (the Fremen Reverend Mothers reviving and instructing the tribes in an older form of their language; the "Oxygen Crisis" stuff, etc.) but a lot of it is just nonsense ("clam power"; the worms evolving on Arrakis after an asteroid impact; the ancient history of the BG; all the Holzmann cyborg bullshit, etc etc etc) and just as bad in its way as some of the shit squirted out by The Prodigal & Hack-for-Hire, and I refuse to grant it even quasi-canon status. :hand: :snooty: :naughty:
The only answer here is for our dedicated Observance Hounds to go through the DE article by article awarding them validity on virtue of their argued merits.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Motion seconded!

Please keep us apprised of your progress! :dance:
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

Ok, lets start. Aardvark, canon of not?
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Not mentioned, even once, even in McDune!

NON-CANON!!! BURN THE NON-PROOFREADER INFIDEL! :angry-screaming:

;)
Setzer

Post by Setzer »

Well, judging from the first book, all we have to go on is that Salusa Secundus is a prison planet that also breeds Sardaukar. No clue if there's a colony there or if it's all sustained by new convicts arriving.