• Register
  • Login
  •          

House Ordos

The Great Houses which comprise the governing body of the Empire

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Postby Tleilax Master B » 12 Feb 2008 15:12

Simon wrote:I admire his ability to actually write, as I suck at sustained bodies of written work, my writing is definitely "stream of consciousness" on a good day and plain rambling on the bad ones :lol:

Which explains why you are such a prequelite :P :D
    Tleilax Master B

Postby Simon » 13 Feb 2008 04:58

::does little jig:: Krish-na-harri-krishna.. ::rattles moroccos::
    Simon

Postby Mr. Teg » 13 Feb 2008 08:09

Simon wrote:::does little jig:: Krish-na-harri-krishna.. ::rattles moroccos::

Don't you mean...

::does little jig on the couch::Sci-enn-tolo-gistss::rattles everyone's nerves
    CHOAM
    Combine Herbert Ober Anderson Mercantile, Narf!
    Brian, Kevin & Byron Image The HLP
    Mr. Teg

Postby SandChigger » 13 Feb 2008 18:13

I definitely think the Scientology angle was prematurely hot-potatoed. :D
    I have heard of only one mistake that doesn’t have an explanation for a careful reader...with an open mind. (And, no, I’m not going to tell you what it is!) —KJA

I don't like every writer's style; for instance, I have never been able to get through Ursula LeGuin, China Mieville, or Iain Banks, all of whom are critical darlings. —KJA

I...had written a bunch of Star Wars and X-Files books...that proved not just that I'm a hack, but that I could write in somebody else's universe... —KJA
    SandChigger
    KJASF Ground Zero

Location: "Whatcha having, shoog? Hurry up and order now, I ain't got all day!"

Postby The Sons of Idaho » 11 Mar 2008 09:28

What is House Ordos??
    How simple things were when our messiah was only a dream...
    The Sons of Idaho

Postby Omphalos » 11 Mar 2008 10:41

A made up minor house from the Dune Encyclopedia that made its way into one of the Dune computer games. I think in the game they were aliens, but Im not sure. I never played it.
    Omphalos
    Inglorious Bastard

Postby Tleilax Master B » 11 Mar 2008 11:23

Omphalos wrote:A made up minor house from the Dune Encyclopedia that made its way into one of the Dune computer games. I think in the game they were aliens, but Im not sure. I never played it.

they were funky in the old game. Their units would shoot you with this gas shit that would temporarily turn you to one of them. so for a period of time, they could use your own guys to attack you then, if they survived, they would switch back. It was kinda dumb really......
    Tleilax Master B

Postby orald » 11 Mar 2008 16:58

Oh, I'm just trying to d/l Emperor: Battle for Dune now! :D

AFAIK, house Ordos, at least in this latest installment, were the "wierd" side, having all the "fun" tech...though sometimes all you want is a bloody simple tank if you ask me.

I never knew it was from the DE(as I haven't bothered to read it), I thought Westwood made them up on their own to have another side besides Harkonnen and Atreides.
    In memory of Perach, who suffered and died needlessly.

I wish I could have been with you that one last time.
    orald

Postby Tleilax Master B » 11 Mar 2008 17:12

orald wrote:Oh, I'm just trying to d/l Emperor: Battle for Dune now! :D

AFAIK, house Ordos, at least in this latest installment, were the "wierd" side, having all the "fun" tech...though sometimes all you want is a bloody simple tank if you ask me.

I never knew it was from the DE(as I haven't bothered to read it), I thought Westwood made them up on their own to have another side besides Harkonnen and Atreides.

There is actually very little about them in the DE--which is probably why the game chose to include them. It mentions that they have 7 votes in the Landsraad--which is actually a lot according to the DE chart, 10 was the most you could have and that included Atreides and Corrino--and there is also an image of one of their House insignia which is described as:

House Ordos: Or two bones
    white per saltire, in dexter chief
    entwined with ivy vert

Other than that, I don't think they are even mentioned anywhere else in the DE.
    Tleilax Master B

Postby Nebiros » 11 Jan 2009 22:34

Looking back, I wish I had finished my House Ordos fan fiction. But since I lost my myspace account and internet connection issues where I live, I gave up on the fan fiction.

I originally wrote it because I thought that since people bothered to use them in a computer game, somebody should have them written into litertature other than a vague reference in the Dune Encyclopedia. I could not find anything so I wrote something myself. Because somebody's got to do it.

It's still available to read on the Dunenovels forum on the fan fiction thread.

Anyway I still wait for more fan fiction on House Ordos to show up on the Internet.

Speaking of fan fiction, remember some great gems like Dune Revenant and of course for fans of parodies and satire: Trannies of Dune. I even considered printing four of them out and putting them on my bookshelf along with Frank Herbert's novels and the new Dune novels that I read.
    Nebiros

Postby SandChigger » 12 Jan 2009 01:38

Nebiros wrote:Because somebody's got to do it.

WRONG.

That's the same sort of idiocy—whether you realize it or not—that is bringing the world these new shit "Heroes of Dune" books.

NO, every "gap" does not need to be filled. EVERY detail does not need to be spelled out.

Your House Ordos fanfic may have made some sense in terms of the computer game, but it made little sense in the greater context of Frank Herbert's Duniverse.
    I have heard of only one mistake that doesn’t have an explanation for a careful reader...with an open mind. (And, no, I’m not going to tell you what it is!) —KJA

I don't like every writer's style; for instance, I have never been able to get through Ursula LeGuin, China Mieville, or Iain Banks, all of whom are critical darlings. —KJA

I...had written a bunch of Star Wars and X-Files books...that proved not just that I'm a hack, but that I could write in somebody else's universe... —KJA
    SandChigger
    KJASF Ground Zero

Postby Nekhrun » 12 Jan 2009 22:51

Nebiros wrote:Looking back, I wish I had finished my House Ordos fan fiction. But since I lost my myspace account and internet connection issues where I live, I gave up on the fan fiction.

I originally wrote it because I thought that since people bothered to use them in a computer game, somebody should have them written into litertature other than a vague reference in the Dune Encyclopedia. I could not find anything so I wrote something myself. Because somebody's got to do it.

It's still available to read on the Dunenovels forum on the fan fiction thread.

Anyway I still wait for more fan fiction on House Ordos to show up on the Internet.

Speaking of fan fiction, remember some great gems like Dune Revenant and of course for fans of parodies and satire: Trannies of Dune. I even considered printing four of them out and putting them on my bookshelf along with Frank Herbert's novels and the new Dune novels that I read.

That's very commendable that you've taken all of this upon yourself.
    Nekhrun
    Icelandic Wiener

Re:

Postby MrFlibble » 02 May 2010 21:00

orald wrote:I never knew it was from the DE(as I haven't bothered to read it), I thought Westwood made them up on their own to have another side besides Harkonnen and Atreides.

For everyone interested in this question:
    The Origins of House Ordos Revealed
    WHAT IF YOU NO LONGER HEAR THE MUSIC OF LIFE?
    MEMORIES ARE NOT ENOUGH UNLESS THEY CALL YOU TO NOBLE PURPOSE!
    MrFlibble

Re: House Ordos

Postby SandChigger » 02 May 2010 22:38

Thanks for the link! :)

I wonder where it came from in the DE.... ???
    SandChigger
    KJASF Ground Zero

Postby MrFlibble » 03 May 2010 11:26

I guess the author of that article decided to throw in a few cool-sounding names from Old Terra :D It might have been that it was intended to be an alter ego of China (comparable to House Washington and House Steel), but that's just a guess :)
    WHAT IF YOU NO LONGER HEAR THE MUSIC OF LIFE?
    MEMORIES ARE NOT ENOUGH UNLESS THEY CALL YOU TO NOBLE PURPOSE!
    MrFlibble

Postby Lionel Horsepackage » 10 May 2010 18:25

I've long held the Dune Encyclopedia to be canonical on a personal level (or, at least, far more canonical than the KJA/BH prequel novels), so I've never really had any problem with House Ordos existing in the greater Dune universe as a counterpart to the Atreides and Harkonnens.

When I first played the PC game and saw them in it as a playable Landsraad house, I just about crapped myself.
    Last edited by Lionel Horsepackage on 10 May 2010 21:24, edited 2 times in total.
    Lionel Horsepackage

Postby Freakzilla » 10 May 2010 18:35

Welcome, please introduce yourself here: Introduce Yourself!
    Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
    ~Pink Snowman
    Freakzilla
    Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Postby TheDukester » 10 May 2010 18:41

Horse ... package? :shock:
    "Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
    TheDukester

Postby Lionel Horsepackage » 10 May 2010 19:55

Freakzilla wrote:Welcome, please introduce yourself here: Introduce Yourself!

Will do. :)

TheDukester wrote:Horse ... package? :shock:

Heh. I get that a lot.
    Lionel Horsepackage

Postby SandChigger » 10 May 2010 22:35

Braggart. :roll:

:lol:
    SandChigger
    KJASF Ground Zero

Previous

Return to ˱