Mutation in Dune (a.k.a. Atreides)

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

And it's never made clear whether their germline cells are affected or even if they mate after the transformation has progressed. There's not enough information to be able to say anything definite about their genetics.
loremaster

Post by loremaster »

Genetic Drift: refers to the fact that, despite gene splitting being very much geared towards conserving the gene structure equal, some differences end up creeping into the further generations, mainly in the long run.
Is english your first language? I dont understand this one jot.

Genetic drift refers to the fact that, in the absence of selective pressure, genomes and gene sequences will mutate and diverge to create novel variations on the original. Mutations will ONLY be weeded out (over time, too) if there is a selective pressure against them. Alternatively, advantageous mutations will either reduce or alleviate current selective pressures ( camouflage protects against predation, for instance).

Just had to clarify that,
The HLP hasnt released Frank's notes yet, Brian hasn't got the handwriting quite right!
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

^^^ Our other expert on such things besides Master B. :)
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

SandRider wrote:Dune IS NOT about "ecology" - see Norman Spinrad
That's waht I said in my review too. Its the later books that are more about ecology. Dune has wonderful environments, but its not about ecology.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
Sole Man

on my deformities

Post by Sole Man »

Drunken Idaho wrote:Nah, I just wanted to find a cheap way to throw in the word "perspective."

I fully recognize the vast difference between mutation in the Dune sense of the word, and deformity.

IE:

Me -----> Wild talent, mutation

Sole Man -----> deformed, due to inbreeding
It's not unture.

That's the current plan: All of us inbreds are supposed to mate with a variety of others outside the family, that way when our descendants inbreed themsevles, there's a lot more to choose from.
Tleszer

Re: on my deformities

Post by Tleszer »

Sole Man wrote:
Drunken Idaho wrote:Nah, I just wanted to find a cheap way to throw in the word "perspective."

I fully recognize the vast difference between mutation in the Dune sense of the word, and deformity.

IE:

Me -----> Wild talent, mutation

Sole Man -----> deformed, due to inbreeding
It's not unture.

That's the current plan: All of us inbreds are supposed to mate with a variety of others outside the family, that way when our descendants inbreed themsevles, there's a lot more to choose from.
Wes Craven Presents: The Sloeys Have Eyes II
DUNE, as interpreted by a blue man with a green tushie
The_Kat

Re: Mutation in Dune (a.k.a. Atreides)

Post by The_Kat »

I don't think you can really count odrade and Teg. As is said in the books thanks to the tyrants machinations not many people in the Herectics time aren't desended from the atredies line. Isn't that what the Atredies Manifesto is all about.
Ur lack of planning, isnt my emergency
Spree4.com
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

The_Kat wrote:I don't think you can really count odrade and Teg. As is said in the books thanks to the tyrants machinations not many people in the Herectics time aren't desended from the atredies line. Isn't that what the Atredies Manifesto is all about.
Everyone on Chapterhouse is descended from the Siona Atreides and Duncan Idaho, besides Duncan (the last), else they would give away it's location.

Even Murbella had the Siona gene.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
SimonH

Post by SimonH »

Freakzilla wrote:
The_Kat wrote:I don't think you can really count odrade and Teg. As is said in the books thanks to the tyrants machinations not many people in the Herectics time aren't desended from the atredies line. Isn't that what the Atredies Manifesto is all about.
Everyone on Chapterhouse is descended from the Siona Atreides and Duncan Idaho, besides Duncan (the last), else they would give away it's location.

Even Murbella had the Siona gene.
A little off track, but what about Scytale? I was a little confused by this. Wasn't he allowed to walk freely on Chapterhouse?
“The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift.” Albert Einstein
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

Yes you're right, him and Mother Superior had a wee stroll in an orchard. BG boffins identified he carried Siona gene markers.
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

The BT speak genetics, they don't have to be descended. They can appearantly say, "Ooh, I like your genes, can I wear them?"

:P
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
PoLlAckJacK

Post by PoLlAckJacK »

They knew they would get a male reverend mother with access to both avenues of AM, but the other stuff was kind of unexpected results of the mixture of genes. their descendants will be much more likely than the rest of the population to have these or similar traits.