Origin of the name/word "Futar"

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

MrFlibble

Re: Origin of the name/word "Futar"

Post by MrFlibble »

SandRider wrote:Fibble - Omph's got a thread @ T(A)U that lists a bunch of academic papers on Frank's Dune ....
(don't have it bookmarked & won't search, Omph will be by and link you - or search yourself,
I think it's "Dune Resources" or somesuch.
Yeah, I've already taken a look when SandChigger referenced it in some post above :) That's an excellent collection of resources, great job Omph :D
SandRider wrote: me being no respecter of copyright whatsoever (fuck you, ideas are free)
copied some of them to the archive I started to do about a year and a half
ago - you may be able to get in - these netforum people are flaky -
sometimes I can get it, sometimes not - maybe my fault, Omph says
it's still there ...

http://sandridersdunearchive.netforums. ... d84195877a" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ooh, nice, thanks for the link :) And I agree, information should be free.
SandRider wrote: firefox spelchek don't like "adminning" - wouldn't that be the correct form, if we be makin' up words an' shit ?
Oh, those spell-checking programmes are severely limited to what was initially coded in their databases. You can't include every single word of a language, especially taking into account all those neologisms and potential words :)

Oh, and by the way:
SandChigger wrote:(Keep in mind that unofficial/unauthorized Science of Dune that came out a year or so ago. It was a collection of essays by various people, and in the front says something about the book not being approved or authorized by the HLP.)
That reminded me of an unofficial and certainly unauthorized book by some Russian author who claimed to write the "true story" of the events of Dune, discarding the account in the first book of the hexalogy as official propaganda and falsification (The book's title can be translated as The True History of Dune). Some sources call this book a "parody". Interestingly enough, The True History of Dune was published in 2006, long before Paul of Dune :)
WHAT IF YOU NO LONGER HEAR THE MUSIC OF LIFE?
MEMORIES ARE NOT ENOUGH UNLESS THEY CALL YOU TO NOBLE PURPOSE!
SadisticCynic

Post by SadisticCynic »

SandChigger wrote:Meh. If you can find it at the library, or in the bargain bin, yeah, grab it. I was considerably underwhelmed.
Same here.
Ah English, the language where pretty much any word can have any meaning! - A Thing of Eternity
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

Alright, I'll file it under "if I ever see it cheap and happen to remember".
reverendmotherQ.

Post by reverendmotherQ. »

I checked out Science of Dune from the campus library and I thought I might have cried if I let myself become too offended by the fact that out of all they could focus on about melange, they had to rant about LSD and its hallucinagenic sisters for page upon page. But I am looking forward to reading about the Guild and folding space, since the Kwisatz article and eugenics section was pretty fascinating.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Well, be forewarned that while the editor (Grazier) seems to take a dim view of the McDune crap, he does quote from them in the spacefolding article. :roll:

For me the biggest disappointment was the sandworms article. The woman who wrote it is nice enough (she replied to my blog criticizing it), but she hadn't read all the books at the time she wrote it. Which is unfortunate, since there is additional information about the sandtrout and worms in the later books.
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

reverendmotherQ. wrote:I checked out Science of Dune from the campus library and I thought I might have cried if I let myself become too offended by the fact that out of all they could focus on about melange, they had to rant about LSD and its hallucinagenic sisters for page upon page. But I am looking forward to reading about the Guild and folding space, since the Kwisatz article and eugenics section was pretty fascinating.
read Spinrad's intro to the German edition of Dune .... around here somewhere, or links or something ...
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008