Cloning today

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Nebiros

Re: Cloning today

Post by Nebiros »

What I wanted to discuss?

The reason I put this thread here instead of in the non dune related topics is because I wanted to point out that knowing what we know today, axlotl tanks merely to create genetic duplicates of an individual is totally unnecissary. There is still a place for them in the Duniverse for the Tleilaxu to refine the biological products they create out of these tanks, but not just to produce gholas. If Frank knew what we know today about cloning, I'm sure he would have somehow incorporated both refined gholas from axlotl tanks and regular clones that were born from normal non-tank women into Dune. Forgot to mention that axlotl tanks produced spice by the time of the book Heretics of Dune.

So in Hunters and in Sandworms (yes none of us are here, not even myself are fans of those books) Those BG in the no-ship did not need to turn themselves into axlotl tanks merely to have ghola babies of those long dead characters. They just needed to implant the cells into their fertile eggs and have a normal pregnancy. Here again we can see Kevin and Brian's bad writing. Just like their stupid idea of brains in jars (a stupid thing but I could live with it. I could not tolerate the idea of the Oracle of Time).
Rakis

Post by Rakis »

Nebiros wrote:What I wanted to discuss?

The reason I put this thread here instead of in the non dune related topics is because I wanted to point out that knowing what we know today, axlotl tanks merely to create genetic duplicates of an individual is totally unnecissary. There is still a place for them in the Duniverse for the Tleilaxu to refine the biological products they create out of these tanks, but not just to produce gholas. If Frank knew what we know today about cloning, I'm sure he would have somehow incorporated both refined gholas from axlotl tanks and regular clones that were born from normal non-tank women into Dune. Forgot to mention that axlotl tanks produced spice by the time of the book Heretics of Dune.

So in Hunters and in Sandworms (yes none of us are here, not even myself are fans of those books) Those BG in the no-ship did not need to turn themselves into axlotl tanks merely to have ghola babies of those long dead characters. They just needed to implant the cells into their fertile eggs and have a normal pregnancy. Here again we can see Kevin and Brian's bad writing. Just like their stupid idea of brains in jars (a stupid thing but I could live with it. I could not tolerate the idea of the Oracle of Time).
Well, Spice production is also a plot device in the book to use the tanks...i guess i like the concept that you can only awaken the memories of a ghola, not a clone...

And you can't make that wonderful Bijaz by cloning... :)
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Technically, Teg is a clone created from cells taken from a living person, not a dead one, so he's not a ghola in the Duncan sense, and his memories are restored. So there's no distinction between clones and gholas there.

Anyway, the point isn't that it was "unnecessary" to turn women into tanks just to produce clones/gholas or other products; it's that the BT were deviant and evil and treated their women like objects. I'm sure you get that last part, Nebby.
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

Jackie Treehorn treats objects like women!
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

SandChigger wrote:Go take a cold shower already, Schubi.

(And don't send people pix this time. :roll: )
A Thing of Eternity wrote: :shock: Since when? What'd I miss?
Evidently a little prick.

:shock:

Er, I mean, PIN prick, when whoever it was harvested the cells used to... Oh, nevermind. :oops:
You have quite the way with words. :oops:
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

:D

I tries ta do mah bestest! :P
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

"One two lots more" Trolls counting, T Pratchett. Not really sure how that fits the conversation apart from a kinda monobrow way.
chanilover

Post by chanilover »

Nebiros wrote:What I wanted to discuss?

Are you expecting to decant a mini-Nebiros from yoru tankwoman soon, Nebby?
"You and your buddies and that b*tch Mandy are nothing but a gang of lying, socially maladjusted losers." - St Hypatia of Arrakeen.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

No, remember, he has decided they will have ONE AND ONLY ONE child, because any more would just crimp his lifestyle too much. :roll:

So how are TankWomban and SprogBint, Nebby? Did you finally talk TankWomban into getting her tubes tied?
Nebiros

Post by Nebiros »

My Tankwoman? Sprogbint? I have no idea what you guys are talking about.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

You really are rather slow, aren't you?

Your wife and daughter. OK now? :roll:
Rakis

Post by Rakis »

SandChigger wrote:You really are rather slow, aren't you?

Your wife and daughter. OK now? :roll:
:lol:

Love the new avatar Chig...it's so fluffy and innocent... :)
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

He's my nosehare.
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

That he is, the fluffy wuffy uffy one.