Describe the Bene Tleilax!

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

moreh_yeladim wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:I recently bought some "artificial vinilla extract". I'll never do that again.

I don't like artificial sweeteners or sugar substitutes, either.

Artificial vinilla and artificial sweeteners are NOT the same as the real thing, they are chemically and physically different.

I would accept man-made spice, but it's still spice.
Read, fool! The difference between the "synthetic" and the "real thing" is in the impurities!
That's way more than I ever needed to know about vanilla. Thanks, I am no longer ingonant... about that.

:roll:
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Redstar

Post by Redstar »

"I know, lets quote Wikipedia and call other people fools!"
Tio_Holtzmann

Post by Tio_Holtzmann »

Impurities brings up an interesting point though. Once the Bene Tleilax discovered how to create melange using axlotl tanks, could they have improved it? Thus widening the gap between real melange and synthetic melange?
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

As a possibility in a fictional universe?

Sure, why not? Heck, they mixed pigs and slugs, fercryssakes! ;)

What exactly would "improved it" mean, though?
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

SandChigger wrote:What exactly would "improved it" mean, though?
^^^ It would be Spicier. Duh! :P
moreh_yeladim

Post by moreh_yeladim »

inhuien wrote:
So I could now get my Spice in a variety of strengths from "Wimpy" to "Red Alert" to "Afterburner"?
Brian Herbert is a perfect example of why you shouldn't leave a universe-spanning empire to your next of kin.
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

moreh_yeladim wrote:
inhuien wrote:
So I could now get my Spice in a variety of strengths from "Wimpy" to "Red Alert" to "Afterburner"?
I'll take the Pepsi challenge with that Amsterdam shit, any day of the fuckin' week.
SwordMaster
Freakbanned

Post by SwordMaster »

inhuien wrote:
moreh_yeladim wrote:
inhuien wrote:
I'll take the Pepsi challenge with that Amsterdam shit, any day of the fuckin' week.
Q.T QUOTE FTW
I am a turd. Do not emulate me, or Omphalos shall mock you as well.
Ziggy

Re: Discribe the BT!

Post by Ziggy »

The use of the term synthetic in the case of Tleiaxu spice is most probably correct. In chemistry a synthetic chemical is one derived through chemical reaction(s) of reagents, and not obtained naturally. The process is referred to as a chemical synthesis, and the field is called synthetic chemistry.

Freak is absolutetly spot on when he says that the synthetic spice from the tanks is melange. A synthetic compound is identical to it's counterpart formed in nature. The term synthetic only indicates it's origin.

Of course nature doesn't just magic up complex molecules and these are often formed in a similar fashion to what we might cook up in the lab through many stages in a synthesis.

I say probably above because you might argue that Tleiaxu spice is formed 'naturally' i.e. in a living host but it is not produced through the sandtrout life cylce. Also I seem to recall we got a good glimpse of an Axoltl tank at one point and it seemed to me that the raw chemicals were fed into the tank, which acts as some form of chemical reactor.

Confusing terminology perhaps, especially the use of artificial which can imply a difference between the man-made item and nature's handiwork. The term synthetic (in chemistry) was first coined by Kolbe in the mid-1800s. Many others at the time believed that natural complex organic molecules could not be made in such a fashion as they would lack some sort of supernatural component. Personally, in the case of Tleilaxu spice, I think the term engineered might be the most appropriate.

When axolotl tanks arrive in the workplace we may need to rethink our terminology? :?
SadisticCynic

Post by SadisticCynic »

Ziggy wrote:When axolotl tanks arrive in the workplace we may need to rethink our terminology? :?
Any volunteers? :)
Ah English, the language where pretty much any word can have any meaning! - A Thing of Eternity
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

SadisticCynic wrote:
Ziggy wrote:When axolotl tanks arrive in the workplace we may need to rethink our terminology? :?
Any volunteers? :)
I'll donate sperm.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

I'm sure thare are plenty of oxygen thief candidates out there who could be put to better use as a tank. I've got a nice little corner in the lab waiting for Paris Hilton. :twisted:
lotek

Re:

Post by lotek »

SandChigger wrote: Heck, they mixed pigs and slugs, fercryssakes! ;)

What exactly would "improved it" mean, though?
incorporate a dicthater to it:
:)
Ziggy wrote: I've got a nice little corner in the lab waiting for Paris Hilton. :twisted:
too skinny to make a good tank, just feed her to the sligs!
Spice is the worm's gonads.
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

On the other hand her Genetic code can only be improved on.
Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

What if the HLP had their own tank that they can feed FH's novels into and it shits out some random mutation once a year? Oh wait... :lol:
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

Ziggy wrote:What if the HLP had their own tank that they can feed FH's novels into and it shits out some random mutation once a year? Oh wait... :lol:
after that post about synthetic chemicals, I was starting to think this one
might be too damn smart for this board.

The Hack Tanks ?
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
lotek

Post by lotek »

SandRider wrote:
Ziggy wrote:What if the HLP had their own tank that they can feed FH's novels into and it shits out some random mutation once a year? Oh wait... :lol:
after that post about synthetic chemicals, I was starting to think this one
might be too damn smart for this board.

The Hack Tanks ?
how did you think they had all that brainstorming done?
:)
Spice is the worm's gonads.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Ziggy wrote:The term synthetic (in chemistry) was first coined by Kolbe in the mid-1800s. Many others at the time believed that natural complex organic molecules could not be made in such a fashion as they would lack some sort of supernatural component.
The Hack & Bumblehead obviously still believe so, because in Grunters & Sadworms, Sheena and Ghola Paul seem to be able to tell the difference between the spice produced by the worms in the no-ship hold (ignore for now the stupidity of worms producing spice) and that produced by the tanked BGs.

Maybe now we have a general fix for the time period of KJA's scientific knowledge? :roll:
reverendmotherQ.

Post by reverendmotherQ. »

SandChigger wrote:
Ziggy wrote:The term synthetic (in chemistry) was first coined by Kolbe in the mid-1800s. Many others at the time believed that natural complex organic molecules could not be made in such a fashion as they would lack some sort of supernatural component.
The Hack & Bumblehead obviously still believe so, because in Grunters & Sadworms, Sheena and Ghola Paul seem to be able to tell the difference between the spice produced by the worms in the no-ship hold (ignore for now the stupidity of worms producing spice) and that produced by the tanked BGs.

Maybe now we have a general fix for the time period of KJA's scientific knowledge? :roll:
I'm reading Grunters for the first time and I thought, "Thats too superstitious for that to be the only reason this crappy fanfic version of Sheanna ingests the worm made spice rather than the tank spice."
Hell, he could have atleast made a connection to how her ability to control the worms and have some sort of bond to them influenced that decision rather than "it's better than the other"
:sigh:
Don't the worms need to start out as sandtrout with water in the environment to produce spice? It just seemed as if in Hunters "We threw them in their and BAM they immediately started making spice." I'm sick of KJA treating the science in Dune as magic.
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

Ha, you haven't even begun the journey into shit yet, if you're angry NOW, wait until you get near the end of this piece of shit, or until you read sadworms...
reverendmotherQ.

I must finish to know even more of how they've turned the Dune legacy into a cash cow. But it's going to be depressing I know. Then I will reread the original to purge my mind of the rampant lies.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

reverendmotherQ. wrote:Don't the worms need to start out as sandtrout with water in the environment to produce spice? It just seemed as if in Hunters "We threw them in their and BAM they immediately started making spice." I'm sick of KJA treating the science in Dune as magic.
Yes, Spice is created when the sandtrout encased water pocket reaches a critical level of gas content and explodes in a "spiceblow". The surviving sandtrout go dormant and transform into juvenile worms.

Yet another aspect of Dune the hacks don't get.
~Pink Snowman
trang

Post by trang »

reverendmotherQ. wrote:I must finish to know even more of how they've turned the Dune legacy into a cash cow. But it's going to be depressing I know. Then I will reread the original to purge my mind of the rampant lies.
Encase your head in aluminium foil, get a voodoo chicken and rabbits foot. a 4 four leaf clover, . and check to make sure your health premiums are up to date. These are the checks to make before forging forward into the remainder of those two pieces of bile.

as for sad worms... two things.. ghola's, ghola's.... and worms are like Baskin-Robins.

If you survive those and wish to really take a spin on the death wheel... there is Paul and and BagOWinds. I Highly suggest revisiting all of the above checks and included the following:

1. read near an open flame (tear each page out after you have read it and burn it)
2. have at least two fifths of whiskey handy
3. a computer with net access and Jacurutu forums open and ready
4. an open window to scream out
"Long Live the Fighters", "Dragon.....the other white meat."

A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

I should warn you that sadworms was the only one I actually regretted having read. The rest were fun to make fun of, but that one actually lessened my love of Dune for almost a full year afterwards, it's just now returning in full.
reverendmotherQ.

No imposter like KJA has the right to do that to any devoted fan. :shakes fist at the air, swearing vengeance:

j/k. But seriously. That's frightening. :gulps: I may have a little hesitation at picking that one up off the campus library.