Tlilaxian adoration of the God Emperor

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Idahopotato

Re: Tlilaxian adoration of the God Emperor

Post by Idahopotato »

SandChigger wrote:
Idahopotato wrote:The whole point is that even if that skinny, long bearded white guy we all see hanging on the cross really ever existed, he certainly wouldn't have responded to the name Jesus Christ.
No? Wouldn't he have been able to speak/respond to all languages, and know he was the one being referred to, even in a language that wouldn't exist for almost a thousand years? :P
Hahahhahahahaah I should be pissed that you caused me to choke on my water, but I can't stop laughing long enough to be pissed. I imagine Jesus has the whole prescience thing going for him so he would in fact know how he would be called 2000 years later. Does that mean we are on the Golden Path? That would explain all the stagnation. Only 1500 years to go eh?
Harq al Ada

Post by Harq al Ada »

Redstar wrote:While I would like to point out that I'm agnostic, so I don't have a supreme "character", the fact that you assumed I did and still went on about my "mythology" and how my supposed god is a "perv" is offensive. You can discuss the subject if you want, but you don't have to resort to attacks. You don't see me attacking (y)our atheism.
You are right, it was wrong of me to assume either way. Bad form and I apologize. I'm a bit out of practice.

being crass, offensive, and/or inflammatory does have it's place sometimes though. and "perv" may be subjective but they're all mythologies.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
Raveem

Post by Raveem »

Point of information, as we say in the Oxford Union.

The spiritual parts of each religion can be equally dismissed, if desired, as mythologies. But not the historical accounts of their founders or adherents. Many figures fall within the pale of history and historical record: Guru Nanakh, Bahaullah, etc., and, indeed, Muhammad (PBUH). We actually have records of these people's lives (hence the Aisha debate) unlike for, e.g., Abraham or Noah.
chanilover

Post by chanilover »

Jesus died in Kashmir, you know. His tomb is a bit of tourist attraction:v :D

http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcfour/documentar ... -die.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"You and your buddies and that b*tch Mandy are nothing but a gang of lying, socially maladjusted losers." - St Hypatia of Arrakeen.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Died in Kashmir, huh?

I would have figured him more for a sackcloth man. With a few ashes sprinkled about for effect.

"Oh Mary, have you seen J.C.'s new Easter ensemble?! To DIE for!"
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

Rumor has it that he went to India durring the missing years between 12 and 33.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Idahopotato

Post by Idahopotato »

Freakzilla wrote:Rumor has it that he went to India durring the missing years between 12 and 33.
That would explain why Christianity and Buddhism have many of the same sayings. And all this time I thought it was just cause those two guys we pals in heaven/nirvana prior to Christ's birth.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Some "interesting" reading on the topic: http://www.truthbeknown.com/jesus_in_india.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

"Ah, Jesus. I like him very much. But he no help with curveball."
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

TheDukester wrote:"Ah, Jesus. I like him very much. But he no help with curveball."
You tryin' to tell me Jesus Christ can't hit a curve ball?
~Pink Snowman
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

Just to be clear though, I've never heard a serious schoolar suggest that Jesus went to India, it's all conjecture. Most people I've heard talk about it say that it is beyond unlikely that big J ever travelled further than a few hundred miles.
Eyes High
Patience Personified

Post by Eyes High »

He was in the carpentry shop practicing His curve-ball.
What fear is there in the night?
Nothing, but that which is in our own imaginations.
Idahopotato

Post by Idahopotato »

A Thing of Eternity wrote:Just to be clear though, I've never heard a serious schoolar suggest that Jesus went to India, it's all conjecture. Most people I've heard talk about it say that it is beyond unlikely that big J ever travelled further than a few hundred miles.
That makes sense. The vast majority of people in the world will die less than 50 miles from where they were born. And that is today, with enormous amounts of transportation, even free transportation, available. Can you imagine walking 100 miles? Not that it is overly difficult in a lifetime (even a short one at 33), but all of the other nuances involved in travel, especially with the limited salary a messiah tends to bring in. In those days, 100 miles away people most likely spoke another language (or at least dialect), let alone the cultural differences involved as well. Then again we are talking about Jesus who could speak all languages and turn water into wine, so I imagine he would be most welcome in any household.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Idahopotato wrote:
A Thing of Eternity wrote:Just to be clear though, I've never heard a serious schoolar suggest that Jesus went to India, it's all conjecture. Most people I've heard talk about it say that it is beyond unlikely that big J ever travelled further than a few hundred miles.
That makes sense. The vast majority of people in the world will die less than 50 miles from where they were born. And that is today, with enormous amounts of transportation, even free transportation, available. Can you imagine walking 100 miles? Not that it is overly difficult in a lifetime (even a short one at 33), but all of the other nuances involved in travel, especially with the limited salary a messiah tends to bring in. In those days, 100 miles away people most likely spoke another language (or at least dialect), let alone the cultural differences involved as well. Then again we are talking about Jesus who could speak all languages and turn water into wine, so I imagine he would be most welcome in any household.
I walked way over 100 miles in the Army, but that's beside the point. He was an alien-human hybrid, he could teleport. That explains the booze, too.
~Pink Snowman
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

He wasn't an alien, silly. He was a God. He could just have his lieutenant, Zeus, shoot him to India on one 'a them fancy lightning bolts.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
Idahopotato

Post by Idahopotato »

Freakzilla wrote:
Idahopotato wrote:
I walked way over 100 miles in the Army, but that's beside the point. He was an alien-human hybrid, he could teleport. That explains the booze, too.
Walking a hundred miles in the Army is different (I had a pair of boots that over 10,000 miles on them when all was said and done). Now imagine walking with cheap 2000 year old sandals and not having a ruck full of MRE's and extra socks.
A Thing of Eternity

Idahopotato wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:
Idahopotato wrote:
Walking a hundred miles in the Army is different (I had a pair of boots that over 10,000 miles on them when all was said and done). Now imagine walking with cheap 2000 year old sandals and not having a ruck full of MRE's and extra socks.
They did also have animals to ride... peopledid go back and forth from Europe to Asia on land fairly often. Took I think three years of riding, but they really needed the spices to liven up bland european cooking. :wink:
Idahopotato

Post by Idahopotato »

Yes, but those people had financial backing from merchants and nobles. Not too many merchants and nobles were willing to front a messianic journey. Especially considering a wealthy segment of Jews were vehemently against it.

And it wasn't so much that food was bland, but rather to mask the fact that they lacked refrigeration. It is much more palatable to each rotten food with a healthy dose of "spice" added.
A Thing of Eternity

Idahopotato wrote:Yes, but those people had financial backing from merchants and nobles. Not too many merchants and nobles were willing to front a messianic journey. Especially considering a wealthy segment of Jews were vehemently against it.

And it wasn't so much that food was bland, but rather to mask the fact that they lacked refrigeration. It is much more palatable to each rotten food with a healthy dose of "spice" added.
Man, am I not allowed to make jokes on this site or something?! :lol:

And yes, spices were needed to cover up the rotting flavour, but let's face it, most European food is pretty tame, even the good stuff.
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

We are very serious here, young man. So straighten up and fly right. :naughty:

And by the way, if they had holy hand grenades, it makes sense that they had holy LAV's too. Im sure he could have hitched a ride.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

He rode an invisible unicorn, duh.
~Pink Snowman
Idahopotato

Post by Idahopotato »

A Thing of Eternity wrote:
Idahopotato wrote:Yes, but those people had financial backing from merchants and nobles. Not too many merchants and nobles were willing to front a messianic journey. Especially considering a wealthy segment of Jews were vehemently against it.

And yes, spices were needed to cover up the rotting flavour, but let's face it, most European food is pretty tame, even the good stuff.
I thought I was being funny too, but obviously not. In my head, I picture a ragged character asking kings, noblemen and merchants for a loan to spread the word. After the laughter stops, I see a pouting Jesus stomp his feat and say "but, but, but I am the Messiah!"

And let's not lump European food together like that. As a former chef, I had opportunities to try just about every type of food known to man (to be fair, some of the type of food that one would almost never see came from my Ranger days). It is the English, German and Northern European food that suck. Well I shouldn't say sucks, as many people prefer bland food. The French have some pretty good food, as do the Italians (especially Piedmont region), but I prefer the Spanish. Ah but I guess food should get its own topic.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

I question whether his sandals were two thousand years old. :shifty:
A Thing of Eternity

Idahopotato wrote:
I thought I was being funny too, but obviously not. In my head, I picture a ragged character asking kings, noblemen and merchants for a loan to spread the word. After the laughter stops, I see a pouting Jesus stomp his feat and say "but, but, but I am the Messiah!"
And let's not lump European food together like that. As a former chef, I had opportunities to try just about every type of food known to man (to be fair, some of the type of food that one would almost never see came from my Ranger days). It is the English, German and Northern European food that suck. Well I shouldn't say sucks, as many people prefer bland food. The French have some pretty good food, as do the Italians (especially Piedmont region), but I prefer the Spanish. Ah but I guess food should get its own topic.
Fair enough, the people in the mediterranean do have some pretty good food, and the French did come up with some of my favourites. But honestly, compare any of that with most Indian dishes and they could still be considered on the bland side (not really bland to me admittedly, but people from India would think it's pretty tame).

And yes, this is becoming extremely derailing to this already derailed thread!
Idahopotato

Post by Idahopotato »

Idahopotato wrote:
Fair enough, the people in the mediterranean do have some pretty good food, and the French did come up with some of my favourites. But honestly, compare any of that with most Indian dishes and they could still be considered on the bland side (not really bland to me admittedly, but people from India would think it's pretty tame).

And yes, this is becoming extremely derailing to this already derailed thread!
Well it isn't really fair to compare the complexity of any cuisine to Indian, as it is the most complex cuisine there is. That is like comparing Paul's prescience with a standard citizen, or perhaps comparing the Fremen fighting ability with the Harkonnens. Thai would be a distant second (kind of like Saurdakar I guess).