Book Review - The Dune Encyclopedia

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Robspierre

Re: Book Review - The Dune Encyclopedia

Post by Robspierre »

Ransom has to play ball with the HLP. No idea how the rights are split but it could of come down to if he wanted to see them published in ebook format he had to go with Keith because that is what the HLP wanted.

Rob
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

SandChigger wrote:
A Thing of Eternity wrote:And he probably hasn't even read any of the junk KJA's written, so he probably doesn't even have any idea what the deal is with KJA.
:hand: Which means he's just a lazy whore for not checking out who he's doing business with.

Why do you want to cut him this slack? Sure he was FH's friend and collaborator. But that was then and this is now.

Either you stand for something or you don't.
Oh BS, either you stand for being a dick or you don't. :wink: If he has never had the desire to read anything of the new books that's his business, and he may have his reasons for going through KJA for sales, we have no idea what his situation is. Ransom is an excellent writer, in my opinion the person who SHOULD have done more Dune writing (if anyone at all), and was a good friend to FH. That's enough for me.

I'm not saying him going through KJA for sales is a good move in any way, but it's a minor transgression unless he's read all the new books and endorses them.

EDIT: Also, could someone clear up for me what exactly Ransom is e-publishing through KJA? Because if it's his work with FH, then yeah, that could easily be his only legal option.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

A Thing of Eternity wrote:EDIT: Also, could someone clear up for me what exactly Ransom is e-publishing through KJA? Because if it's his work with FH, then yeah, that could easily be his only legal option.
http://www.wordfire.com/index.php?optio ... Itemid=257" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Bill Ransom eBooks"

Burn (Bill Ransom)
Jaguar (Bill Ransom)
The Jesus Incident (Frank Herbert & Bill Ransom)
Viravax (Bill Ransom)

Now why would the HLP have rights to three of his individual works?
A Thing of Eternity wrote:Oh BS, either you stand for being a dick or you don't. :wink:
Go to bed with the devil and you wake up with sulfur blisters on your dick. ;)
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

Ok, so some of it is definitely stuff the HLP wouldn't have their claws into. If he doesn't have a hate on for KJA though then this is definitely still just a minor faux pas.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Of course, now Fat-Ass and Fat-Everything get to tout Wordfire as a publisher of Ransom's books. And either get a cut of every sale or a one-time payment for the conversion process? I mean, can you see them having done those three extra books of his out of the goodness of their hearts?

THAT's what puts him in bed with the devil.

(Fuck, he may even be the best of friends with them for all we know. He hasn't, after all, come out with a Spinrad-style condemnation of the McDune books.)
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

At least now its blatantly obvious that KJA is making his living off the backs of other authors. He is a blood-sucker, plain and simple.
Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus