Large Format, Full Color Hardcover DE

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Cro-Mags

Large Format, Full Color Hardcover DE

Post by Cro-Mags »

I think my first introduction to Dune was as a kid seeing the DE, which my brother had taken out from the library. This is probably 20 years ago, but I remember it being a large format, HC with full color illustrations - like a coffee table book format.

Anyway, a few google and ebay searches later, and I can't find anything resembling that. I asked my brother to confirm this just today, which he did. Unfortunately he got it from our JHS library.

Does this ring a bell with anyone else? Any hope of finding one?
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Re: Large Format, Full Color Hardcover DE

Post by Freakzilla »

I've never seen a hardcover nor one in color. Not saying they don't exist...
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

These are the only two printings that I ever seen/heard of, the UK and the American versions.

Cro-Mags

Post by Cro-Mags »

I like the UK cover art.

This is going to drive me crazy, because my bro is here now and was giving me more details since he had taken it out years ago, can't both be having a mutual brain fart moment? Can't find any reference to it or anything and obviously it would be25 years out of print at this point.

All is not lost, by daughter will be in JHS age in about 8 years, I could always move to that school district and have her check if it's still in circulation after 25 years. I may have to do this for peace of mind.
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

All the illustrations in the DE are black-and-white line-art, ie: not greyscale versions of colour images.

What sort of colour pictures? Not John Shoenherr's by any chance viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1352&start=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ?
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

In the U.S., there was a hardcover edition available through book clubs (probably the Science Fiction Book Club was where most people got it).
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
Cro-Mags

Post by Cro-Mags »

DuneFishUK wrote: What sort of colour pictures? Not John Shoenherr's by any chance viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1352&start=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ?
I don't think so. They were full color paintings, and if anything they were very reminiscent of the cover art from these editions. Kind of 70s mod, sci-fi art. I can remember a couple shots of cities (Arrakeen?)- lots of domes and arches.
Leto

Post by Leto »

Something like that ? :

(found there : http://books.google.com/books?id=s14WGQ ... hl=fr&cd=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)
If wishes were fishes, we would all cast nets
Gurney Halleck
KJA ? Keep Just Away?
Filo
lotek

Post by lotek »

I have the UK edition
http://jacurutu.com/viewtopic.php?f=17& ... cyclopedia" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Spice is the worm's gonads.
Leto

Post by Leto »

So do I (and I really made the deal).
If wishes were fishes, we would all cast nets
Gurney Halleck
KJA ? Keep Just Away?
Filo
Streaksy

Post by Streaksy »

I didn't even know there was a published Dune Enc at all!! And I thought I had all the Dune books! What else am I missing? :O (If it's not by Frank Herbert it's not a Dune book)
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

Streaksy wrote:I didn't even know there was a published Dune Enc at all!! And I thought I had all the Dune books! What else am I missing? :O (If it's not by Frank Herbert it's not a Dune book)
This is a little different if you haven't heard of it before. What it is is a book by one of FH's close friends, FH gave it the thumbs up (but did not declare it canon). It is written to be an in-universe document, so it's not an encyclopedia about the book Dune, it's an encylopedia from the Dune universe itself.

I don't have a copy yet, one of the few English Dune things I don't own (MAN I really also want the Schoenherr Dune calendar from I think 1978, with all the same art as the illustrated Dune! It'd be super tempting to take it apart and frame all the pics though...).
ULFsurfer

Post by ULFsurfer »

A Thing of Eternity wrote: I don't have a copy yet, one of the few English Dune things I don't own (MAN I really also want the Schoenherr Dune calendar from I think 1978, with all the same art as the illustrated Dune! It'd be super tempting to take it apart and frame all the pics though...).
The calendar would be nice, but a little cheaper alternative is the 1999 illustrated hardcover Gollancz edition which has the same pictures (but smaller). It's not the most common book but I have seen affordable copies advertised.
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

ULFsurfer wrote:
A Thing of Eternity wrote: I don't have a copy yet, one of the few English Dune things I don't own (MAN I really also want the Schoenherr Dune calendar from I think 1978, with all the same art as the illustrated Dune! It'd be super tempting to take it apart and frame all the pics though...).
The calendar would be nice, but a little cheaper alternative is the 1999 illustrated hardcover Gollancz edition which has the same pictures (but smaller). It's not the most common book but I have seen affordable copies advertised.
I have a copy of the original illustrated Dune from the 70s, in great shape, but I'd like those pictures larger and in a format that I could display.
ᴶᵛᵀᴬ
Joseph-Vintimille Tariki Askaris

Post by ᴶᵛᵀᴬ »

ULFsurfer wrote: The calendar would be nice, but a little cheaper alternative is the 1999 illustrated hardcover Gollancz edition which has the same pictures (but smaller). It's not the most common book but I have seen affordable copies advertised.
The Illustrated Dune (1978) : « [Schoenherr] made the full-color paintings featured here for the 1978 Dune calendar, and then the publisher decided to use them in an illustrated paperback edition of the novel and asked Dad to flesh out the book with black and white illustrations »

The new Illustrated Dune (1999) = « This new illustrated edition of Dune reproduces only the paintings from The Illustrated Dune", along with four not before seen (in book form, that is. The twelve paintings in total correspond to the illustrations of the 1978 Dune calendar). Hardcover with bookjacket.»
Gone are the Black and White drawings.

-Alone on Arrakis
-Dawn at the Palace of Arrakeen
-Baron Vladimir Harkonnen
-The Sardaukar warriors
-Ceremony at the Tomb of the Skull
-Desert Nightmare
-The flight through the Shield Wall
-Sietch Tabr
-Paul Muad'Dib calling his first sandworm
-Stilgar and his men
-Paul administers the oath of the Fedaykin
-The defeat of the Sardaukar
    Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
    ۞ Shaihuludata gigantica Gratia, Fidei defensor ۞
      Kwisatz

Post by Kwisatz »

inhuien wrote:These are the only two printings that I ever seen/heard of, the UK and the American versions.
      There is also German translation in 2 volumes, BCE mentioned earlier and another hardcover edition by Putnam (not Berkley) slightly larger.