SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Re: McNelly quotes?

Post by SandChigger »

You got it, big guy. ;)
Redstar

Post by Redstar »

SandChigger wrote:If there's anything that would confirm this, it's probably in the alt.fan.dune archives. (Possibly a direct posting from McNelly?) I've never been able to find it, though.

Master B posted that he had a link or quote that he would look for, but I'm not aware that he found it... :(
I haven't been able to turn up anything on any site except the same copy-and-pasted addition of "It was a joke" added in parenthesis. Just how rumours spread online.

So Master B either presents that linked quote, or we get the actual notes. If not I doubt it's true.... When did everyone first start hearing it?
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

Redstar wrote:
SandChigger wrote:If there's anything that would confirm this, it's probably in the alt.fan.dune archives. (Possibly a direct posting from McNelly?) I've never been able to find it, though.

Master B posted that he had a link or quote that he would look for, but I'm not aware that he found it... :(
I haven't been able to turn up anything on any site except the same copy-and-pasted addition of "It was a joke" added in parenthesis. Just how rumours spread online.

So Master B either presents that linked quote, or we get the actual notes. If not I doubt it's true.... When did everyone first start hearing it?
Ditto.

Maybe around the time the original haters tried to block Dune being re-released before renouncing their ways becoming KJA fans.
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Even a reference to the anecdote dated BEFORE House Atrocious was being mouthfarted about would be valuable IMHO, in that it would show that it had nothing to do with the depredations of The Dymnambic Duo.
Naïve mind

Post by Naïve mind »

SandChigger wrote:Even a reference to the anecdote dated BEFORE House Atrocious was being mouthfarted about would be valuable IMHO, in that it would show that it had nothing to do with the depredations of The Dymnambic Duo.
And yes, there is
Newsgroups: alt.fan.dune
Subject: Dune Ency as canon
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 1995 11:52:00 -1000

Of course the DE is not canon, and of course it IS canon - but does it really make any difference? As I said, it is a work of fiction about a work of fiction, and it was compiled with FH's full approval and enthusiastic encouragement. I consulted with him by phone very often, and he and I had only one quibble - my assertion that Rev Mother Helen Gaius Mohiam was Jessica's true mother - which is contrary to what the books themselves say where FH identified some shadowy figure as Tanicia Nerus as her mother. However--REMEMBER that the material in the Riculoan crystals were stored there by Leto who severely edited and modified and changed the material to suit his own purposes. Leto was in effect a modifier of history, so as I told Frank, my assertion about Jessica was just as valid as Leto's - and he ultimately agreed - thinking that it was the kind of scholarly BS that academics go in for - and he had a good laugh out of it.

As to the languages: FH told me that he had learned several hundred words of Arabic in preparation for the book - and some of the words in the books are severely modified - as it natural with languages - by the passage of time. The author of all of the articles on languages in the DE was Walter Meyers, prof of English and linguistics at NC State - the author of a very influential book on SF and linguistics.

Will McNelly
Note that this is a post by McNelly from 1995, quoted in a news post from 1996. It seems Google's archives of the alt.fan.dune group don't go back until 1995 ...

But there's a seperate source here, kept in the Internet Archive, which goes back until 1999.

Combined, it's a damn sight more credible than supposed 'notes' we've never seen, and are never going to see.
Lisan Al-Gaib

Post by Lisan Al-Gaib »

Omphalos wrote:
DuneFishUK wrote:
Omphalos wrote:Look here:

http://www.thestargates.com/dune/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Fantastic - I thought we'd lost that site. :)
since it keeps going away I downloaded the entire thing a few months ago (along with about 50 other sites that seem to be fleeting). If it ever disappears again, we will still have it. Ill be updating the links at the secondary sources page to refer to thye archived copy as soon as I can get to it.
Hi Omphalos, do you still have those documents available?
The singular multiplicity of this universe draws my deepest attention. It is a thing of ultimate beauty.

-- The Stolen Journals

Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Lisan Al-Gaib wrote:
Omphalos wrote:
DuneFishUK wrote:
Omphalos wrote:Look here:

http://www.thestargates.com/dune/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Fantastic - I thought we'd lost that site. :)
since it keeps going away I downloaded the entire thing a few months ago (along with about 50 other sites that seem to be fleeting). If it ever disappears again, we will still have it. Ill be updating the links at the secondary sources page to refer to thye archived copy as soon as I can get to it.
Hi Omphalos, do you still have those documents available?
Almost everything I have is archived over at T(A)U. I ahve a few things to add and will try to do it soon. But there is a LOT of stuff there already.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
Cpt. Aramsham

Post by Cpt. Aramsham »

And T(A)U is ...?
lotek

Post by lotek »

Cpt. Aramsham wrote:And T(A)U is ...?

http://tau.solahpmo.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:D
Spice is the worm's gonads.
Cpt. Aramsham

Post by Cpt. Aramsham »

Ah, thanks! I'm trying to locate the documents on there, but there are a lot of different sections to look through. I suppose I'll find them sooner or later...
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

You may have to be given permission, message Omphalos.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman