Pick some favorite entries

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

TheDukester

Pick some favorite entries

Post by TheDukester »

I love the DE. I probably haven't read every entry, but in skipping around over the years, I've certainly read most of them. Here's three of my favorites:

1. Sardaukar. I love the depth of the entry, with all the ranks, insignia, etc.

2. Landsraad. I went from being bored by the Landsraad in my first reading of Dune (I was probably 15 or so) to really being intrigued by it after I bought the DE.

3. The Duncans. A handy-dandy reference to the 10,000 Duncan Idahos!

Anyone else got any favorites? When you hear "Dune Encyclopedia" does anything immediately pop into your head?
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Re: Pick some favorite entries

Post by Omphalos »

I cannot stop laughing about the giant clam-powered ornithopters. I have not idea how many times I've read that one, but its been so many that I think I have to call that one one of my "favorites."

If I'm being serious then I would have to pick the articles on the CET and the Orange Catholic Bible, and the article on Holtzman.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Man, I forgot the CHOAM entry, probably my top favorite. A very entertaining look at what appears, at first, to be a pretty dry topic.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
Sev

Post by Sev »

A few favorites of mine include:
The Making of a Face Dancer
The Ecological Transformation of Arrakis
The Plants of Ecaz
Freakzilla - "Apparently we can only aspire to be the 13th biggest Dune fan since we are not family or in the HLP."

Byron - "Are you trying to irk me?"
Slugger

Post by Slugger »

I like the "scientific" articles:

-- I like the article on the chemical composition of melange -- it even includes a partial structural formula.
-- The Holtzmann effect article.
-- The Space Guild/Heighliner section
-- And the timeline.
Leto

Post by Leto »

I like the entries about Bene Gesserit (including Reverend Mother, Panoplia aso).
But the most original remains those about Paul. The idea considering him as a legend/myth is very clever and not as boring as a P&tB's version...
If wishes were fishes, we would all cast nets
Gurney Halleck
KJA ? Keep Just Away?
Filo
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

Leto wrote:I like the entries about Bene Gesserit (including Reverend Mother, Panoplia aso).
But the most original remains those about Paul. The idea considering him as a legend/myth is very clever and not as boring as a P&tB's version...
I thought the theory about him having a hereditary mental/physical dissease from the Harkonnen side that was aggrevated by the low oxygen content on Arrakis was interesting.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Baliset

Post by Baliset »

Slugger wrote: -- And the timeline.
Me too. And the content of DE forms itself a more complete timeline

http://dune.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Years/DE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RedHeadKevin

Post by RedHeadKevin »

I still regard the DE as the most-canon reference document to the Dune universe. (When I read the originals, I typically defer to the DE for background info. The only prequel I read ( House Atreides) made me twitch.)

Favorite entries:
Gamont: I SO want to go there! Plus, I LOL'ed at the naive BG sister visiting there, and the names of the stores.. "Ve Haf Vays," lol. Did anyone else notice that the Fifth Element really ripped off Gamont when they made Phloston Paradise?

Fremen: Some of these entries are really interesting, and give great insight to the day-to-day life of the Fremen, and how they deal with some basic, and >ahem< adolescentissues.

Chani: I really liked reading her whole story.

The illustrations: They really helped to define what some of the Duniverse looked like for me, even moreso than Lynch's movie (my other "canon" guide to what stuff should look like.) The Sardaukar uniforms and finery, the stillsuits and Fremen clothes, and especially the thumper and maker hooks are defined for me by what this book shows.
I don't recommend anyone drink their thigh pad water. It tastes really bad, like ass and dirt.
Idahopotato

Post by Idahopotato »

Don't forget the 'thopter picture
RedHeadKevin

Post by RedHeadKevin »

The thopter entry is one I really try to forget. I don't really like the idea that it's a winged clam. And the picture isn't really how I envisioned thopters. But that's just me.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

RedHeadKevin wrote:The thopter entry is one I really try to forget. I don't really like the idea that it's a winged clam. And the picture isn't really how I envisioned thopters. But that's just me.
Yeah, that was really bad.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
merkin muffley

Post by merkin muffley »

TheDukester wrote:The Duncans. A handy-dandy reference to the 10,000 Duncan Idahos!
The entry about the Duncans is bizarre and often funny. Highly entertaining, as is the rest of the DE. I bet the female Duncan was pretty confused. She must have gone berzerk when she took a bath with the Fish Speakers.
"I must admit, you have an astonishingly good idea there, Doctor...."
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

I was also always interested in the articles on heraldry. An odd topic, to say the least. I've been meaning to read more on it since I found I was interested by reading the DE but have not gotten any other books yet.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

Just picked up a copy of the DE on eBay, actually. I look forward to browsing through it.

HBJ
"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
- Carl Sagan

I'm still very proud of The Quarry but … let's face it; in the end the real best way to sign off would have been with a great big rollicking Culture novel.
- Iain Banks
merkin muffley

Post by merkin muffley »

Hunchback Jack wrote:Just picked up a copy of the DE on eBay, actually. I look forward to browsing through it.

HBJ
I like it a lot, I wish I had found this a long time ago. I wish there was some "Clumsy Duncan" fan fic. I think Clumsy Duncan should be in "Leto of Dune."
"I must admit, you have an astonishingly good idea there, Doctor...."
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

Just got it today. It's the UK TPB edition, to match my PBs (the ones in inhuien's sig). In pretty good nick.

I like the entry on the sandworm cycle.

HBJ
"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
- Carl Sagan

I'm still very proud of The Quarry but … let's face it; in the end the real best way to sign off would have been with a great big rollicking Culture novel.
- Iain Banks
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Nice. That's a new one on me, too — I'd only ever seen the tan-and-brown U.S. edition. I didn't even realize it was ever printed overseas.
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

Yeah, I like that edition a lot, although I don't think it's collectible or anything. It was never published in HC in the UK, AFAIK, so the TPB is the 1st UK edition. It's somewhat hard to find in good condition, just because it's over 25 years old, but you see them on eBay regularly.

I bought this edition for my Dad for Christmas when it first came out in Australia; I'd read his PB copies of Dune 1-4 (which also looked like inhuien's sig :) ) so I was kind of returning the favour.

HBJ
- Carl Sagan

- Iain Banks
Kensai

Post by Kensai »

I loved reading about the various Duncan incarnations, something I was very curious about whilst reading GEOD.

Wish I could get a hard copy of Dune Encyclopedia, at the moment I only have a PDF (naughty) :lol:
Survival is the ultimate ideology Image
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Kensai wrote:I loved reading about the various Duncan incarnations, something I was very curious about whilst reading GEOD.

Wish I could get a hard copy of Dune Encyclopedia, at the moment I only have a PDF (naughty) :lol:
http://www.google.com/products/catalog? ... 8wIwADgA#p" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
~Pink Snowman
Kensai

Post by Kensai »

Freakzilla wrote:
Kensai wrote:I loved reading about the various Duncan incarnations, something I was very curious about whilst reading GEOD.

http://www.google.com/products/catalog? ... 8wIwADgA#p" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Eight dollars? WTF? Thats about four pounds fifty pence for me :D
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Kensai wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:

8.00 USD=5.31103 GBP

http://www.xe.com/ucc/convert.cgi?Amoun ... age=Submit" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
~Pink Snowman
Kensai

Post by Kensai »

Freakzilla wrote:
Kensai wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:

8.00 USD=5.31103 GBP

http://www.xe.com/ucc/convert.cgi?Amoun ... age=Submit" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Let the good times role
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

Kensai wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:
Kensai wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:

8.00 USD=5.31103 GBP

Let the good times role
There were a couple of very cheap DEs on ebay a while back... but at the bottom of the listing it said "on CD" :?

(They're gone now... which is nice)
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -