Re: Bene Gesserit fighting techniques

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

Muad'Dib56 wrote:Prana-Bindu, the weirding way
What the Fuck? This guy is here now?
Lisan Al-Gaib

Post by Lisan Al-Gaib »

hhahahaha. Are you the 56th ghola of Muad'dib?
The singular multiplicity of this universe draws my deepest attention. It is a thing of ultimate beauty.

-- The Stolen Journals

Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

Prana-Bindu is a method of nerve and muscle conditioning and is not synonymous with the "weirding way"

The weirding way is what the Fremen called Bene Gesserit martial arts.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Argh...beaten by the Freak again! ;)
Um...I don't quite think so.

Prana-Bindu was the coverall term for the BG training of the body's musculature and nervous sytem. (Prana for the muscles, bindu for the nerves. These appear to be Hindu terms, by the way, probably Sanskrit, but I haven't really looked into it that deeply.)

Fighting techniques would have been an application of the training perhaps. (Freak has already answered this. ;) )

Added:

Muad'Dib56, in this sietch it is customary to start a thread to introduce yourself in the "Introduce Yourself" forum. :)
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
Rakis

Post by Rakis »

Gawd...The weird in way has begun... :roll:
Secher_Nbiw

Post by Secher_Nbiw »

SandChigger wrote:Argh...beaten by the Freak again! ;)
Um...I don't quite think so.

Prana-Bindu was the coverall term for the BG training of the body's musculature and nervous sytem. (Prana for the muscles, bindu for the nerves. These appear to be Hindu terms, by the way, probably Sanskrit, but I haven't really looked into it that deeply.)

Fighting techniques would have been an application of the training perhaps. (Freak has already answered this. ;) )

Added:

Muad'Dib56, in this sietch it is customary to start a thread to introduce yourself in the "Introduce Yourself" forum. :)
Prana is Sanskrit for Breath, Bindu for Flame.

As for Prana-Bindu being a fighting technique, I don't think i need to go into that as well, its covered ground...
I am a mortal god.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

(Dhanyavaad! :wink: )

If we have to have a 14-year-old running around making silly posts, I'd rather have Sloey than this poser. :twisted:
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
Frybread

Post by Frybread »

I thought prana-bindu training resulted in the absolute control of every muscle in the body, which does not mean it is a martial art unto itself. I though fighting techniques were trained seperately.
Secher_Nbiw

Post by Secher_Nbiw »

precisely.
I am a mortal god.
Visigoth

Post by Visigoth »

Is the Gom Jabbar exclusive to the Sisterhood?

Is it a weapon? What is it used for?

If Paul had died during the test, would the Reverend Mother had gotten in trouble?
ImageImageImage
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Visigoth wrote:Is the Gom Jabbar exclusive to the Sisterhood?
We never see anyone else use it, however the Fremen know of it.
Is it a weapon?
Alia used it as one.
What is it used for?
Killing people/animals.
If Paul had died during the test, would the Reverend Mother had gotten in trouble?
Jessica probably would have covered for her.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
gurensan

Post by gurensan »

Freakzilla wrote:
Visigoth wrote:Is the Gom Jabbar exclusive to the Sisterhood?
We never see anyone else use it, however the Fremen know of it.
Is it a weapon?
Alia used it as one.
What is it used for?
Killing people/animals.
Jessica probably would have covered for her.
4 yesses all in a row. Fat ones, small ones, some as big as your head! Give 'em a twist, a flick o' the wrist, that's what the showman said...

I have got a lovely bunch of gom jabbars.. :banana-guitar:
If you fart in the wilderness, and a bear eats you before you can smell it, does it matter if it makes an odor?
Visigoth

Post by Visigoth »

The part I don't get is, Jessica defies the Sisterhood and has a Boy; then she turns around and exposes her Boy to death by Gom Jabbar. Maybe Jessica was confident enough that she had raised Paul "right" and if Paul turned out to be an animal then...good riddance?
ImageImageImage
Serkanner
Administrator

Post by Serkanner »

Visigoth wrote:The part I don't get is, Jessica defies the Sisterhood and has a Boy; then she turns around and exposes her Boy to death by Gom Jabbar. Maybe Jessica was confident enough that she had raised Paul "right" and if Paul turned out to be an animal then...good riddance?
I suggest you read the first chapters again and then rewrite your post.
"... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

“There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
and wrote a Dune Novel."
Jodorowsky's Acolyte

Post by Jodorowsky's Acolyte »

Considering that Bene Gesserit martial arts rely upon disciplining the muscles and nerves to be extremely quick, could it be concluded that Bene Gesserit have perfected a superhuman version of Bruce Lee's Jeet Kune Do ("the way of the flowing fist"), a system which consists of speed of movement and lightning quick reflexes which also depends upon a similar discipline?

Such a martial arts system could have benefitted a DUNE film which tries to be faithful to the original Weirding Way. Come to think of it, though, if Jessica was trained in a superhuman version of Jeet Kune Do, she might have broken out of her bonds while on the Harkonnen ship. :confusion-scratchheadblue:
'...all those who took part in the rise and fall of the Dune project learned how to fall one and one thousand times with savage obstinacy until learning how to stand. I remember my old father who, while dying happy, said to me: "My son, in my life, I triumphed because I learned how to fail."' -Alejandro Jodorowsky
gurensan

Post by gurensan »

Jodorowsky's Acolyte wrote: Come to think of it, though, if Jessica was trained in a superhuman version of Jeet Kune Do, she might have broken out of her bonds while on the Harkonnen ship. :confusion-scratchheadblue:
But she didn't because she's smarterer than that.
If you fart in the wilderness, and a bear eats you before you can smell it, does it matter if it makes an odor?
Jodorowsky's Acolyte

Post by Jodorowsky's Acolyte »

gurensan wrote:
Jodorowsky's Acolyte wrote: Come to think of it, though, if Jessica was trained in a superhuman version of Jeet Kune Do, she might have broken out of her bonds while on the Harkonnen ship. :confusion-scratchheadblue:
But she didn't because she's smarterer than that.
Ah! Good response, gurensan! That was a right and intelligent response. It's true, she is smarter than that. She's patient and intelligent: those are the traits of a human. Jessica definitely displays a great deal of those traits throughout the book.
'...all those who took part in the rise and fall of the Dune project learned how to fall one and one thousand times with savage obstinacy until learning how to stand. I remember my old father who, while dying happy, said to me: "My son, in my life, I triumphed because I learned how to fail."' -Alejandro Jodorowsky
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

When was Jessica on a Harkonnen ship? :?
~Pink Snowman
D Pope

Post by D Pope »

Freakzilla wrote:When was Jessica on a Harkonnen ship? :?
Headed for the desert after the fall of Arrakeen?
Leto II is gone for good, except for OM. The "pearl" was just that; a miniscule portion of what Leto was, and not a compressed version of the whole. The pearl that the worms have do not make them Leto, or in any way similar to him.
-Omphalos
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Oh, the Harkonnen 'thopter. 'Ship' made me think of the Baron's frigate.
~Pink Snowman
Visigoth

Post by Visigoth »

Serkanner wrote:
Visigoth wrote:The part I don't get is, Jessica defies the Sisterhood and has a Boy; then she turns around and exposes her Boy to death by Gom Jabbar. Maybe Jessica was confident enough that she had raised Paul "right" and if Paul turned out to be an animal then...good riddance?
I suggest you read the first chapters again and then rewrite your post.
I was being really lazy posting. The Kwisatz Haderach deserves better.

I would like to know, if possible, Jessica's true...motivation to exposed Paul to the Gom Jabbar.
Did Jessica know that Paul was the Kwisatz Haderach?

Was Jessica almost sure that Paul was the Kwistz Haderach?
Was Jessica's loyalty to the Bene Gesserit the one factor that made Jessica agree with the Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam statement? "Jessica, you know it must be done"

From the touchy feely point of view of a mother, how can you have your kid tested like that? The father (Duke Leto Atreides) did not know about the Gom Jabbar test. In a paternalistic society some dangerous test are allowed when a boy is reaching manhood . A mother would never send her child into a potentially deadly manhood test or any other kind of test that might kill her child.

I think a mother's love was sacrificed to obey the Bene Gesserit.

Anyone has an opinion or a fact that they would like to share about Jessica's decision to let the Reverend Mother test Paul? It is a bit off-topic, I guess, but the Kwisatz Haderach is the most powerful weapon in the Duniverse. Also, Jessica's strenght in decision making is a weapon.

I hope I did just a little better with this post.

Thanks

edit to add
ImageImageImage
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

"You were told to bear only daughters to the Atreides."
"It meant so much to him," Jessica pleaded.
"And you in your pride thought you could produce the Kwisatz Haderach!"
Jessica lifted her chin. "I sensed the possibility."
"You thought only of your Duke's desire for a son," the old woman snapped.
~Pink Snowman
D Pope

Post by D Pope »

Opinion;
Despite her 'break' with the BG, I feel she was simply following orders/tradition/whatever.
This is simply what BG children have to go through.

Despite her near superhuman abilities, she is only an acolyte- I doubt that she saw her decision
to have a son as being as big a deal as it turned out to be. In addition, "I sensed the possibility,"
sounds a little like a dodge to me. Hesitant and non-committal, she chose to try this gambit
only after Helen brought it up.
Throughout Dune, she keeps playing catchup with events around her by not revealing how behind
she is. Examples; first dialog with Mapes, almost all interaction with Paul after the betrayal, in fact,
her taking the WoL directly falls into this description. The only time she seems ahead of the game
is with Stilgar and that's because he can't see past his own awe at her besting his ass.
I would like to know, if possible, Jessica's true...motivation to exposed Paul to the Gom Jabbar.
In my opinion, she never saw an alternative.

Leto II is gone for good, except for OM. The "pearl" was just that; a miniscule portion of what Leto was, and not a compressed version of the whole. The pearl that the worms have do not make them Leto, or in any way similar to him.
-Omphalos
gurensan

Post by gurensan »

Freakzilla wrote:Oh, the Harkonnen 'thopter. 'Ship' made me think of the Baron's frigate.
Me too, but I originally thought he was referring to when Jessica and Paul were wrapped up tight and still separate right after she woke up. wuups!