Chapterhouse

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

rhpt

Chapterhouse

Post by rhpt »

It took over a year, but I finished the original six Dune novels. What a ride! (Although I probably need to re-read Dune Messiah, Children of Dune, and God Emperor :lol: ) My big complaint about the novels is that you have to infer so many things and/or so many things happen off-stage. With something this complex, it would be nice to have it all laid out in the end. For example, in Chapterhouse, what was the point of Teg's feint on Gammu, besides to wrap-up the Jewish refugee plotline? How did the HM disable all the BG troops at Junction after their "surrender"? And how was Sheeana and Duncan able to hijack the no-ship? Did she escape because she was unhappy with the BG-HM merger? Maybe I'm just thick ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Re: Chapterhouse

Post by Freakzilla »

:teasing-smokingcrack:
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

rhpt wrote:My big complaint about the novels is that you have to infer so many things and/or so many things happen off-stage. With something this complex, it would be nice to have it all laid out in the end.
You're KJA aren't you?
For example, in Chapterhouse, what was the point of Teg's feint on Gammu, besides to wrap-up the Jewish refugee plotline?
You don't understand a feint, and this is your sixth dune book...
How did the HM disable all the BG troops at Junction after their "surrender"?
Their mystery weapon they were trying to get the Ixian's to figure out how to replicate/re-arm
And how was Sheeana and Duncan able to hijack the no-ship? Did she escape because she was unhappy with the BG-HM merger? Maybe I'm just thick ¯\_(ツ)_/¯[/size]
That one you have to figure out on your own
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
georgiedenbro

Post by georgiedenbro »

Dude, the answer to most of your questions is: read the books again. It doesn't sound fair, but you can't understand them properly after a single read, they take more work than that. That's a reason I've heard from people turned off by them, that you can't just read it like a page-turner. If you don't stop and think about the meaning of the things you'll be left behind. FH wanted you to do your share of work, that's why he didn't spell it all out. Get to work!
Last edited by georgiedenbro on 19 Jun 2020 10:04, edited 1 time in total.
"um-m-m-ah-h-h-hm-m-m-m!"
Serkanner
Administrator

Post by Serkanner »

Adding to what Freak and Georgie said: I read all six each at least five - ten times throughout the last 35 yeras or so. And I still do not "get" it all. One of the reasons I truly love the series is that I learn new things from them while growing older ( and a tiny bit wiser) myself because my understanding of life changes,

These forums are an excellent ( the best in my humble opinion ) place to discuss Dune, learn from other's understanding. This also means this is the best place to ask questions, but only after you have shown you're willing to invest time and effort yourself in understanding them.

That is why we say: pick up the books again, start reading and try to find the answers yourself. The answers are there. We know because we found most of the answers as well. And a lot of the enjoyment of reading these fantastic books are those moments of understanding.
"... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

“There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
and wrote a Dune Novel."
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Yes, Sheeana and the other RMs that left felt that Murbella was subverting the BG
~Pink Snowman