Why Does The Sisterhood Not Give Up the Spice?

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Why Does The Sisterhood Not Give Up the Spice?

Post by Freakzilla »

We know from Dune that the BG can use other poisons, and of course they did before the discovery of the spice:

"Even your Bene Gesserit Truthsayer is trembling," Paul said. "There are
other poisons the Reverend Mothers can use for their tricks, but once they've
used the spice liquor, the others no longer work."

It seems like they could tough it out for a couple of generations and go back to what they were using before.

It seems like they would have done this durring Leto's reign or durring the Famine Times.

Any thoughts?
Tyrant

Re: Why Does The Sisterhood Not Give Up the Spice?

Post by Tyrant »

Freakzilla wrote:We know from Dune that the BG can use other poisons, and of course they did before the discovery of the spice:

"Even your Bene Gesserit Truthsayer is trembling," Paul said. "There are
other poisons the Reverend Mothers can use for their tricks, but once they've
used the spice liquor, the others no longer work."

It seems like they could tough it out for a couple of generations and go back to what they were using before.

It seems like they would have done this durring Leto's reign or durring the Famine Times.

Any thoughts?
i think the spice is so potent .... that the other poisons used are inferior .... yeah maybe they work...but what is the success rate ....what is the death rate .... can u share other memory with those?..... those are probably saved for times of possible extinction ..... and the other poisons do no good to current reverend mothers or any other bg's addicted to the spice..... why drink wine coolers when u can have some crown royal
Your friendly neighborhood Tyrant!!!
orald

Post by orald »

I concur with Tyrant here, spice seems more potent than the others(hence probably why they switched to using only spice in the first place, even though it's bound to a single planet, which they undaoubtably recognized as not so good).

And as it seems from their actions, moving to non-spice "production lines" would wreak so much havoc that it's better to live under God Leto's just and wise iron rule instead of reverting to other drugs.

*Some may notice I only call him God Leto and always praise his reign...well, if you don't do the same then you're a dirty infidel!
Last edited by orald on 23 Mar 2008 04:55, edited 1 time in total.
In memory of Perach, who suffered and died needlessly.

I wish I could have been with you that one last time.
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

As above really Freakzilla.
Mandy
Cat Herder

Post by Mandy »

I don't understand why they didn't switch to something else either. Doesn't make much sense that they wouldn't use whatever means necessary to keep their numbers up, even if the other drugs were inferior. The only reason I can possibly think of that they didn't would be that perhaps Leto II also controlled those other drugs.
orald

Post by orald »

Evidently, whatever the reason was(infiriority, incompatability wtc), they didn't, which can only mean doing so would wreak so much havoc that it's better to live under God Leto's just and wise iron rule instead of reverting to other drugs.

*You may notice I just coppied and pasted the last sentence. It was good then and it's good now. :P

Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Not only under Leto's reign, so much in the last two books depends on them reproducing the spice cycle.
Mandy
Cat Herder

Post by Mandy »

I hate to say it, but maybe the other drugs were conveniently forgotten about because they didn't fit with the direction FH wanted to go.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Without the spice cycle, it's just common sci-fi, isn't it? But I don't think FH was that shallow. I think he had something important in mind for it that would have come up in Dune 7.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Ultraspice maybe? :roll:
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
Crysknife

Post by Crysknife »

I would say that the spice had prescient properties and the others didn't. While the BG weren't adept at using visions, they did have them from time to time. Paul, Leto, Navigators, Tau orgies....all that stuff might be missing from the other drugs.

Plus, without spice, every RM that was alive in the last two books would die a very painful death...and that wasn't a small number of RMs. Rebecca had to have an implant in her body that delivered spice into her blood. This shows how important it was to keep a healthy supply running. They were already so dependent on the stuff that to stop it, the whole Sisterhood might perish.
Mandy
Cat Herder

Post by Mandy »

After Leto II the BG were afraid of prescience, so I don't see that as a plus for the spice.

Obviously those already addicted would have to continue taking spice, but there really isn't an explanation for them not to use the other drugs on acolytes. I'm sure they worked to open OM, else why bother with them in the first place?
Crysknife

Post by Crysknife »

We can just take Frank at his word and say it's just "better". Maybe OM opened with Spice was clearer. Plus the longer life and greater health the drug provided. Along with the prescience, it also seemed to open up more psychic abilities. Maybe Sharing was a result of Spice and the other drugs didn't work, or were less powerful.
Serkanner
Administrator

Post by Serkanner »

My suggestion would be that perhaps with the use of spice the chances of the Reverend Mother surviving the agony was higher then with other drugs?
orald

Post by orald »

No, no, no. You all fail to realize the simple, elegant truth(which is no surprise since I'm so much smarter than all of you combined):
The reason the BG use the spice malange is to fool Omnibus Prime&Erroneous into believing they're totally dependant on it and it alone, thus forcing them to come up with their elaborate, time and resource consuming plan to subjugate mankind, when all the while the BG have been conspiring with the BT to revive gholas of all the main characters from the old Imperium to crush the unthinking machines once and for all! :o

'Tis brilliant! FH lured all of you into this false debate just like the BG and BT lured Omnibus Prime&Erroneous, and he's been planning it all along! Brilliant! :D

Rakis

Post by Rakis »

Pfffff...that's complete and total ultra heresy...GOD LETO would have seen it comin in prescience... :roll:
orald

Post by orald »

Of course he has, he just didn't feel like commenting and explaining it to lame mortals such as...everyone.

SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Actually...he likeD to spoil himself...and chose not to see it...not even peek. :D

(Jeez...dropping affixes right and left...mostly right. :( )
Last edited by SandChigger on 26 Mar 2008 21:06, edited 1 time in total.
orald

Post by orald »

Infidel! You take that back! The Church of The God Emperor has already made it's views clear and you're in contrast to them! :evil:

SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Watch carefully as I give the fig to your Church. :lol:
Rakis

Post by Rakis »

SandChigger wrote:Watch carefully as I give the fig to your Church. :lol:
A donation? :shock:

Oh...you mean just show the fing...HEY !! :x Don't point at my Church... :(
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

SandChigger wrote:Watch carefully as I give the fig to your Church. :lol:
Did you forget to type the word leaf after the word fig there Chig old bean? Are you making online allusions to flashing your bollocks at structured religion?
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Like Ricardo Montalbán...I yam what I yam.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

What kind of M&Ms does Tatoo like?
Fantômas

Post by Fantômas »

Blue?