• Register
  • Login
  •          

    Sheeana

    Image
      One of the two remaining Great Schools tasked with mentoring humanity

    Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

    Sheeana

    Postby antonio » 23 Jun 2011 18:02

    D Pope wrote:It's probably a semantics issue but i'm not getting how that response ( I only quoted the last bit for fear of getting the jumpy screen ) equates to, "a new direction in human evolution." Was she gifted? Yes, in several ways. Was she something new to humanity? Not in an evolutionary sense, would her ghola- if left 'unawakened'- lend some new genetic trait? Were you going for something like her thinking was evolved?


    I see Sheanna as being a type comparable to Siona. Here''s a quote:

    "Dromind told his trembling companions that the name Sheeana was a modern form of the ancient name, Siona. 'You all know Siona's place in the histories,' he said. 'She served Shai-hulud in His transformation from human shape into the Divided God.'"

    Just as Siona had unique genetic characteristics that she passed on to her descendents, I assert that Siona does also. Is this directly stated in the texts? No. Does that mean it's untrue? No. However, there is a plan to pair Sheeana and Duncan in a manner similar to the historic Siona and Duncan pairing. In other words, there are several clues and suggestions that Sheena is a new and improved version of Siona, just as Duncan is a new and improved version of his previous selves. :think:
    antonio
     
    Posts: 38
    Joined: 14 Apr 2011 19:08

    Re: Chapter 30

    Postby D Pope » 23 Jun 2011 18:55

    Is this directly stated in the texts? No. Does that mean it's untrue? No.

    No argueing with that, thank you for clarifying your point.

    My own personal belief is that Sheana was inspired by a real person and served as the inspiration for the HMs as well. I doubt anyone could find anything to lend any credence to my idea but I don't care. I like it and will probably continue to believe it even after sombody burglerizes Brians place & shows me the FH signed page specifically stating Sheanas origins because really, who would do that except to hide the truth.
    Last edited by D Pope on 23 Jun 2011 22:54, edited 1 time in total.
    Leto II is gone for good, except for OM. The "pearl" was just that; a miniscule portion of what Leto was, and not a compressed version of the whole. The pearl that the worms have do not make them Leto, or in any way similar to him.
    -Omphalos
    D Pope
     
    Posts: 1500
    Joined: 14 May 2010 14:11
    Location: Grubville

    Re: Chapter 30

    Postby antonio » 23 Jun 2011 20:00

    D Pope wrote:
    My own personal belief is that Sheana was inspired by a real person and served as the inspiration for the HMs as well.


    Okay, I'm going to have to think about that one. They both have Freeman and Fishspeaker origins. Sheanna could almost master the Voice without Spice. A real person: a real child?
    antonio
     
    Posts: 38
    Joined: 14 Apr 2011 19:08

    Re: Chapter 30

    Postby D Pope » 23 Jun 2011 21:34

    This really isn't the place for this, would you like to start a new thread or shall I?

    edit; I'm sure management could be persuaded to move the pertinent content to a new location.
    Freakzilla wrote:We've gone way off topic.
    :Adolf:
    Leto II is gone for good, except for OM. The "pearl" was just that; a miniscule portion of what Leto was, and not a compressed version of the whole. The pearl that the worms have do not make them Leto, or in any way similar to him.
    -Omphalos
    D Pope
     
    Posts: 1500
    Joined: 14 May 2010 14:11
    Location: Grubville

    Re: Sheeana

    Postby Freakzilla » 23 Jun 2011 21:56

    I exist only to serve.
    Image
    Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
    ~Pink Snowman
    User avatar
    Freakzilla
    Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego
     
    Posts: 18071
    Joined: 05 Feb 2008 01:27
    Location: Atlanta, Georgia, USA

    Re: Sheeana

    Postby D Pope » 23 Jun 2011 22:31

    As dry leaves that before the wild hurricane fly,
    When they meet with an obstacle, mount to the sky.
    That was quick, thanks Freak! (And i'll leave your coursers out of it!)

    antonio wrote:A real person: a real child?

    No, a real woman. A woman who on one hand was a freaky free thinker and on the other didn't mind using sex as a weapon.
    Leto II is gone for good, except for OM. The "pearl" was just that; a miniscule portion of what Leto was, and not a compressed version of the whole. The pearl that the worms have do not make them Leto, or in any way similar to him.
    -Omphalos
    D Pope
     
    Posts: 1500
    Joined: 14 May 2010 14:11
    Location: Grubville

    Re: Sheeana

    Postby Freakzilla » 23 Jun 2011 22:38

    Don't they all use sex as a weapon?
    Image
    Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
    ~Pink Snowman
    User avatar
    Freakzilla
    Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego
     
    Posts: 18071
    Joined: 05 Feb 2008 01:27
    Location: Atlanta, Georgia, USA

    Re: Sheeana

    Postby D Pope » 23 Jun 2011 22:52

    I keep hoping...
    Nah, you're right all women use sex as a weapon and thems that don't, well, it's not for lack of trying.
    As Merk might say, "They're after my essence."
    Leto II is gone for good, except for OM. The "pearl" was just that; a miniscule portion of what Leto was, and not a compressed version of the whole. The pearl that the worms have do not make them Leto, or in any way similar to him.
    -Omphalos
    D Pope
     
    Posts: 1500
    Joined: 14 May 2010 14:11
    Location: Grubville

    Re: Sheeana

    Postby merkin muffley » 23 Jun 2011 23:22

    D Pope wrote:I keep hoping...
    Nah, you're right all women use sex as a weapon and thems that don't, well, it's not for lack of trying.
    As Merk might say, "They're after my essence."


    I do not avoid women, Mandrake. But I do deny them my essence.
    "I must admit, you have an astonishingly good idea there, Doctor...."
    User avatar
    merkin muffley
     
    Posts: 1584
    Joined: 23 Apr 2010 15:18
    Location: War Room

    Re: Sheeana

    Postby D Pope » 23 Jun 2011 23:56

    The setup... The Spike!
    IT'S IN THE HOLE!
    :clap: :lol: :dance: :clap:
    Leto II is gone for good, except for OM. The "pearl" was just that; a miniscule portion of what Leto was, and not a compressed version of the whole. The pearl that the worms have do not make them Leto, or in any way similar to him.
    -Omphalos
    D Pope
     
    Posts: 1500
    Joined: 14 May 2010 14:11
    Location: Grubville

    Re: Sheeana

    Postby antonio » 24 Jun 2011 18:45

    D Pope wrote:
    As dry leaves that before the wild hurricane fly,
    When they meet with an obstacle, mount to the sky.
    That was quick, thanks Freak! (And i'll leave your coursers out of it!)

    antonio wrote:A real person: a real child?

    No, a real woman. A woman who on one hand was a freaky free thinker and on the other didn't mind using sex as a weapon.



    Oh, we're over here now. Where is that again? The Bene Gesserit. Okay. Can you attach a name to that woman? 8-)
    antonio
     
    Posts: 38
    Joined: 14 Apr 2011 19:08

    Re: Sheeana

    Postby D Pope » 24 Jun 2011 20:55

    No. First off, I don't have access to any secret shit about any people of importance. Second, I doubt that Frank would've been too keen on sharing his find with anyone, least of all, an impulsive n'ere-do-well youth like me.

    Picture this;
    Frank's a little older, money is of less concern, he has a narrow kind of fame- I wouldn't have recognized him in a farmers market.
    Circumstances afford him a chance meeting with a lady that for some reason, sparks an interest.
    Fast forward a bit to the fellow, post coital, examining his attraction and BAM! you get the difference between genius and the rest of humanity.

    It's just a thought.
    It's just as likely that an oddly shaped sugar bowl inspired the Bellonda character. Can you deny for certain, the possibility?
    Leto II is gone for good, except for OM. The "pearl" was just that; a miniscule portion of what Leto was, and not a compressed version of the whole. The pearl that the worms have do not make them Leto, or in any way similar to him.
    -Omphalos
    D Pope
     
    Posts: 1500
    Joined: 14 May 2010 14:11
    Location: Grubville

    Re: Sheeana

    Postby antonio » 28 Jun 2011 19:09

    D Pope wrote:Picture this;
    Frank's a little older, money is of less concern, he has a narrow kind of fame- I wouldn't have recognized him in a farmers market.
    Circumstances afford him a chance meeting with a lady that for some reason, sparks an interest.



    The name Sheanna could be inspired by someone named Anna: She Anna. Was there someone in Frank's life named Anna? Perhaps there was:

    "After the war he attended the University of Washington, where he met Beverly Ann Stuart at a creative writing class in 1946. They were the only students in the class who had sold any work for publication; Herbert had sold two pulp adventure stories to magazines, the first to Esquire in 1945, and Stuart had sold a story to Modern Romance magazine. They married in Seattle, Washington on June 20, 1946."

    From: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Herbert
    antonio
     
    Posts: 38
    Joined: 14 Apr 2011 19:08

    Re: Sheeana

    Postby Freakzilla » 28 Jun 2011 19:51

    Nice! :D
    Image
    Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
    ~Pink Snowman
    User avatar
    Freakzilla
    Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego
     
    Posts: 18071
    Joined: 05 Feb 2008 01:27
    Location: Atlanta, Georgia, USA

    Re: Sheeana

    Postby SandChigger » 29 Jun 2011 10:06

    antonio wrote:The name Sheanna could be inspired by someone named Anna: She Anna.

    Oh! That must be why KJA read it that way in those dumbass podcast-version sample chapters they did!


    :lol:
    User avatar
    SandChigger
    KJASF Ground Zero
     
    Posts: 14490
    Joined: 08 Feb 2008 22:29
    Location: "Whatcha having, shoog? Hurry up and order now, I ain't got all day!"

    Re: Sheeana

    Postby Lundse » 29 Jun 2011 10:13

    Lundse
     
    Posts: 524
    Joined: 01 Jul 2008 11:36
    Location: Århus, Denmark

    Re: Sheeana

    Postby antonio » 01 Jul 2011 17:58



    Argument from ignorance, also known as argumentum ad ignorantiam or "appeal to ignorance", is a fallacy in informal logic. It asserts that a proposition is true because it has not been proven false


    Does this apply in this case? :think:
    antonio
     
    Posts: 38
    Joined: 14 Apr 2011 19:08

    Re: Sheeana

    Postby JustSomeGuy » 02 Jul 2011 17:12

    No, it does not.
    I bring nothing to the table.
    User avatar
    JustSomeGuy
     
    Posts: 791
    Joined: 26 Feb 2011 03:02

    Re: Sheeana

    Postby Freakzilla » 02 Jul 2011 17:15

    What was the argument again?
    Image
    Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
    ~Pink Snowman
    User avatar
    Freakzilla
    Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego
     
    Posts: 18071
    Joined: 05 Feb 2008 01:27
    Location: Atlanta, Georgia, USA

    Re: Sheeana

    Postby antonio » 07 Oct 2011 19:16

    Freakzilla wrote:What was the argument again?


    No logical argument was presented, just an intuitive conclusion supported by circumstantial evidence.
    antonio
     
    Posts: 38
    Joined: 14 Apr 2011 19:08

    Re: Sheeana

    Postby Nekhrun » 07 Oct 2011 19:55

    antonio wrote:
    Freakzilla wrote:What was the argument again?


    No logical argument was presented, just an intuitive conclusion supported by circumstantial evidence.

    So your strategy is to wait three months when people forgot what you were talking about and then come back with that weak shit?

    Looks like more of an Argument from What the Fuck is this Guy Talking About?

    Why didn't you just tell him what your "Intuitive Conclusion" is?
    "If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

    Happy Memorial Day everyone! -James C. Harwood

    "Three of my videos have over 100 views."
    "Over 500 views for my 'Open Question' video." -Nebiros
    User avatar
    Nekhrun
    Icelandic Wiener
     
    Posts: 3287
    Joined: 10 Feb 2008 16:27

    Re: Sheeana

    Postby Dravition » 05 Nov 2011 12:32

    A tangent for this thread: would somebody care to explain the significance of Sheanna's sculpture, 'the void', and why it has the effect it does on Odrade?
    Leto smiled. "Duncan, have I not told you that when you think you know something, that is a most perfect barrier against learning?"
    User avatar
    Dravition
     
    Posts: 40
    Joined: 07 Sep 2011 11:16

    Re: Sheeana

    Postby Serkanner » 05 Nov 2011 15:27

    Dravition wrote:A tangent for this thread: would somebody care to explain the significance of Sheanna's sculpture, 'the void', and why it has the effect it does on Odrade?


    It must be the part that Frank didn't explain about the sculpture.
    "... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

    “There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

    Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
    and wrote a Dune Novel."
    User avatar
    Serkanner
     
    Posts: 2806
    Joined: 17 Feb 2008 18:44
    Location: Den Haag - The Netherlands

    Re: Sheeana

    Postby D Pope » 05 Nov 2011 20:03

    I think Odrade was frightened by the raw creativity she saw in The Void. It was something beyond her, you know those BG types, gotta have a grip on everything.
    Now that I think about it, it does make a nice placemarker on seachilds abilities.
    Leto II is gone for good, except for OM. The "pearl" was just that; a miniscule portion of what Leto was, and not a compressed version of the whole. The pearl that the worms have do not make them Leto, or in any way similar to him.
    -Omphalos
    D Pope
     
    Posts: 1500
    Joined: 14 May 2010 14:11
    Location: Grubville

    Re: Sheeana

    Postby Dravition » 05 Nov 2011 20:22

    D Pope wrote:I think Odrade was frightened by the raw creativity she saw in The Void. It was something beyond her, you know those BG types, gotta have a grip on everything.


    Awesome. Thanks :)
    Leto smiled. "Duncan, have I not told you that when you think you know something, that is a most perfect barrier against learning?"
    User avatar
    Dravition
     
    Posts: 40
    Joined: 07 Sep 2011 11:16

    Next

    Return to ˱

    Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

    cron